Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

trapsin shadow Master or Warrior ?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Sephiroth[TR], Jan 30, 2004.

1. Sephiroth[TR]

Sephiroth[TR] IncGamers Member

trapsin shadow Master or Warrior ?

as the topic says im gone make a trapsin but wich minion is best master or warrior ? i heard warrior cast traps to but wil be lower lv so uhm what do u ppl think ? Would master be better than ? Can they tank in hel on about lv 10 ?

2. Chidori

Chidori IncGamers Member

All my trapsins have never used any Shadow companions as I find them to be a waste and it is easy to survive without them. Instead of wasting points into Shadow companion, max all lightning traps and fire blast. If you start to get swarmed by enemies, all you do is just mindblast the closed to you, and then they will turn around and attack the crowd behind them, basically making as temp meat shields, just like a Shadow companion would do. And yes, they cast traps, but if I remember correctly, if they cast a trap it takes away one of yours (you can only have 5 between the both of you).

3. Dark512

Dark512 IncGamers Member

I use one point into SM (and SW cause its pre req) I find the SM is usefull and well its only one point. I use her primarily cause she is another target that is not me and she can be usefull when she piles in with MA to slow enemys.. her casting weak traps that count toward my limit thing is annoying true but thats actually quite rare ,and I have slightly higher mana that your average trapper to enable me to spam LS infront of me as I walk and chew away on any monsters I get to see :D with mad modded BF. I am often casting traps before they expire on there own so its no issue....Go with SM , SW is a pain as she will always cast a really weak version of my readied LS and BF.

4. lil_julia

lil_julia IncGamers Member

SW will only cast whatever you have as your selected skills atm. So, in order to use SW effectively, you need to cast your traps, then switch to another skill and your SW will use that instead.

As for the original post, most of the experienced trapassins I know use either none or SW (in the way I described above)

5. Chidori

Chidori IncGamers Member

*nod nod nod*.

6. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

If you've never played a 'sin or trapsin before, i'd go with the SM. The reason is that she is more cast and forget than the warrior. You can concentrate more on learning and getting better at placing your traps than micormanaging your shadows skills so that they don't overwrite your traps. Also, if you have no gear already for your 'sin or just want to go untwinked, i'd go with the master and get her to level 17 for casting before entering hell. That's level 17 counting any +skills you have which could be a very small investment depending on how willing you are to spend some time finding gear as you play her.

If you are twinked or familiar with playing trapsins, i favor no shadow. Grab an act 2 or act 5 merc and let him tank for you. CoS and MB will keep crowds in line.

jrichard

7. DaVinci

DaVinci IncGamers Member

I've just completed an update on my trapper guide which has some information on this subject, most interresting is that shadows gain the synergies that you have.

http://davinci.hjem.wanadoo.dk/

DaVinci

ps: this is not a shameless plug, i really think it answers his question, atleast to some extent. Please no flames.

8. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

DaVinci your guide is excellent! The reading about the warrior skills is incredibly informative. I do have a question: it is not clear to me what do you mean by the master using the same formulas as the warrior. Since the warrior formula depends on the level you trained an skill but the master can use any skill even those you don't trained. Does this means that for skills that you don;t traiend, the level of the skill for the master is 1/3 ofthe master level?

9. Sephiroth[TR]

hmmm wel i never played a sin before and its my first so im going for trapper
    i already have
    full Natalya set
    3 bartuc
    buch of jade talon
    2 shadow killer

I really like the idea of mindblasting as it would safe me some skilpoints but after reading the guide master survives longer and doesnt cast ur spel u use uh doesnt that make her better ?

Im not verry rich so no exspensive runewords for me but i think i can get my skils up to lv 27/28 would that be enough ?

thinking of
    max death
    max lighting
    max charged bolt
    dont know about shock web yet
    and fireblast either fireblast or shockweb i really dont know... any sugestions ?

And how do i get enough mana ? i havent put any points in energy yet and im lv 39 now with only 90 mana !! so 5 traps and im forced to use a pot or sit there and do nuthing. I was thinking of socketing 2 P skul in natalya armor and a UM if i still need res. if not 3 P skul is 45 mana reg..

btw how much str ? and dex ? is max block with storm a must to have ?

10. DaVinci

DaVinci IncGamers Member

I suggest you use some points into energy, and perhaps a single Pskull in armor along with +1 belt which also adds some regen. A harle would also give u a nice mana boost, else use some 55+ mana GCs.

As for traps skills, i would have around 32, 33 in my main skill at all times, traps really gain alot from +skills, so try and trade for some +traps GCs, ever tho people seem to hold onto them alot these days.

You should not use SS or any shield at all. it forces you to walk, which really is a pain since you will not be useing any FRW gear besides nat's boots (40%)

str and dex should be as low as possible, since they add nothing to your dmg.

Ir'a very much up to you if u go full synergies or use more points into fireblast and atleast 1 in each synergi. I maxed all synergies and liked the extra dmg alot. but then again i play alot in party games, so it's much easier that way.

DaVinci

11. Sephiroth[TR]

ehm i dont get it with forces u to walk using a stormshield...

12. chien

chien IncGamers Member

You will suffer only 1/3 block (or something like that) when you are running. I think that is what he means. Weapon block will not, doesn't matter you walk, stand, or run. So, even you have 75% block with SS, you will have much less "effective" block when running.

Chien

Ok,from Arreat Summit
    How does Blocking work?
    Blocking always works against physical attacks. 75% Blocking will indeed stop 75% of attacks from hitting, regardless of whether you are attacking, or standing, or whatnot. Note: that if a player is moving, the block percentage is reduced to 1/3rd of its original value.

13. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Forgive me if i rpeat cuz I only skimmed the posts.
    1.10, Much to my horror, has nerfed the shadows ability to cast traps and not have them count against your allowed trap #. Now once you get 5 traps set in one spot for singling out individual monsters, and you shadow casts 1 it takes one off your stack. Quite annoying.
    If you desire the shadow as a meat shield go with the Warrior for its defense bonus. Set its skills at Left Button Shockweb/Fire Bomb and right button Fade. Since Web/Bomb doesn't count against trap total the shadow can and will cast away with fade picking up some of the resist lost.

14. Sephiroth[TR]

ok i jut putted 1 point in each hmmm now whats left fireblast or shock web ? my lighting sentry are lv 30 now doing around 4.2k dmg is that enough ? And i do have my res in the red do have one 14 res 4 energywere to socket ? the claws ? cos only jewels can give claw res no other thing. I better keep the on helm and armor open for UM if i get one... And im curently using a rare assa circlet 2 to all skil and Naj armor... yes its a good armor if u ask me....1 to all skils 25 all res... what els u want from a armor...

Now whats left is how do i get enough mana ? on PVM i just dragon claw them for mana and i usualy leeche my mana full cos of mandal.. should use res rings hmm... But going melee isnt a option dueling barbs or whatever...
    And were to put my skils in now fire blast or shock web ?
    And how do i get my res up beside using charms

15. Anidem

Anidem Banned

I wrote shockweb/firebomb cuz i wasant sure what kinda trap u were gonna use fire/lightning/hybrid. if you a pure trapper it makes no sense to attack phsyically so ikeep shock web as the left mouse skill on my light trapper.
    as for mana having a damage taken goes to mana is quite helpful, Howltusk comes to mind. As for skill items there is always a trade off between ability to damage and ability to hang in a fight longer. thats a stlye choice.
    Resists? your on your own there! happy hunting!

16. DaVinci

DaVinci IncGamers Member

Sorry i missed this post first time around.

The master uses the same formular as the warrior, the only think different, is that you can force a warriro to learn the right skills when you want her to, and you can make sure the warrior uses those skills later always. The master will still learn the skills, it will just take longet till she does, and then she might not choose to make use of them

A warrior gets quite a boost to it's defence, u always summon her with a high bade defence armor. It really helps alot.

DaVinci

17. Trance757

Trance757 IncGamers Member

Don't get a Warrior or Master. Get a Defiance or Barb merc. Put the 20 points in trap synergies.

18. Sephiroth[TR]

hmmm i notice the synergies only adds about 50 dmg each point !!! and +1 to lightning sentry adds almost 400 !!
    And with dragon claw i do around 800 dmg each claw.. But uhm how much dmg is much for a assa ? traps and melee ?
    I have point in dragon flight to to catch nasty runing things although i dunno wich running things cos teleporting to necro isnt verry wise and teleporting so sorc neither so hmmm And its not that 700 kick dmg would dmg them much..

And master or warrior puted both point in them and yes that casting trap is really anoying. I may aswel just mindblast them 5 times. But stil dont have the mana for it yet... Merc i really dont like using them they always die. 50k to revive dont feel like dragging 2 armors to town to sell each time.

hmm stil cant make up my mind were to put my 10 remaining points in...
    i think im gone max the syn for traps... il just think about it a bit longer

btw is 4k trapdmg enough in pvp ?

19. Anidem

Anidem Banned

NO! Trust me it's not. every lightsaber wielding noob will have u for lunch.

20. Sephiroth[TR]

hmm so what do u suggest ? getting trap skillers or using my points to max the trap syn ?

And how much trap dmg is enough than ?