[Build] Trapsin help needed in Hell

viable

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi everyone, as for my first ever Assassin, i built a double-claw build, using both light and fire charge-up skills. And few points in Phoenix Strike. Fights became too hard even in NM Act4 and 5. When surrounded by few enemies, i was hardly landing a punch on somebody, because of Weapon Block i guess. So i hated that skill AND...

...i've resetted my stats and skills, so became a Trapsin. Everything was ok until Hell Act 2 Canyon of the Magic. I did some leveling and hardly completed Act 2 and 3. Now stuck in Act 4 Outer Steps.
Now even a normal group of enemies takes forever to kill. Every 1 or 2 monster i'm separating from group, running all the way back, casting CoS and placing 5x Light Sentry(or Death Sentry). Doing this for every 2 monster... Played more than 30 minutes but able to kill 15 monster at most. :d

How to increase my Lightning damage?
How do you deal with Lightning Immunes?
Holy Freeze Merc has max res, life steal on helm and weapon but still cannot tank well. Without a merc, Fire Blast is not working good...running to town again :d

Below my char info, what do you suggest for a safer soloing Hell? Please note that this is Single Player only.

Lvl 76
Stats: 75 STR-DEX / 300 VIT / 25 ENG (1285 life)

Weapon :Bartuc's Cut Throat
Shield :Spike Thorn (for FHR and %DR) will be replaced with Natalya's Mark at lvl79
Gloves :Gravepalm (for STR and ENG bonuses)
Belt :Gloom's Trap (for VIT and ENG bonuses)
Helm :Natalya's Totem
Boot :Natalya's Soul
Body :Natalya's Shadow
Other :Mara's / SoJ / Ravenfrost
Inv :Resistance and life charms
Switch :Teleport staff

1 Shock Web / Physic Hammer / Cloak of Shadows / Mind Blast
20 Fire Blast
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning Sentry
20 Death Sentry

Fire Blast damage: 1054-1320
Light Sentry damage: 1-2746

Thank you in advance. :)

landyleegirl

Diabloii.Net Member
...i've resetted my stats and skills, so became a Trapsin. Everything was ok until Hell Act 2 Canyon of the Magic. I did some leveling and hardly completed Act 2 and 3. Now stuck in Act 4 Outer Steps.

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
Im on level 57 and have the same question
Don't go into Hell at level 57. It's just not worth the headache.

Hi everyone, as for my first ever Assassin, i built a double-claw build, using both light and fire charge-up skills. And few points in Phoenix Strike. Fights became too hard even in NM Act4 and 5. When surrounded by few enemies, i was hardly landing a punch on somebody, because of Weapon Block i guess. So i hated that skill AND...

The power of most monsters seems to ramp up somewhat in Act 4 Hell, so that's not too unusual.

Now even a normal group of enemies takes forever to kill. Every 1 or 2 monster i'm separating from group, running all the way back, casting CoS and placing 5x Light Sentry(or Death Sentry). Doing this for every 2 monster... Played more than 30 minutes but able to kill 15 monster at most. :d
That sounds to me like you haven't been practicing proper trap placement. Not a huge problem. It takes some getting used to There are some old guides and might be some videos out there. For a trapsin it's important to place your traps to optimize their coverage (hitting monsters as much as possible).

The general pattern is to get them all bunched up and hit them with LS and FB when they're coming at you, then back off and do it again to soften them up some more. Use Shadow Master to tank, not your merc. Your merc is for damage. Once the monsters aren't lined up enough for LS to have good coverage, you hopefully can switch to DS to blow up corpses. That combined with FB and your merc should finish the weaker monsters off. For stronger monsters, get them planted in one spot and place CBS right next to them so that the bolts all hit them.

How to increase my Lightning damage?
Infinity runeword weapon on your merc. Uh, more +skills from gear I guess. Although for most of my other builds I'm apprehensive about relying too much on lots of +skills. Trapsin is kind of one of the exceptions where the +skills are really just that good. More points into Shock Web will help CBS kill faster, but you need more levels for that. And that's about it.

How do you deal with Lightning Immunes?
Fire Blast and physical damage from your mercenary. Trapsins are almost the worst lightning-based builds in the game to be fighting lightning-immune monsters. If you were as sorc or an amazon, you could shred monster lightning resistances after breaking their immunity with Infinity. Doesn't work so well for traps. Specifically, -ELR does not affect DS, LS, or CBS. I believe -EFR works with Fire Blast, but I've never heard of anyone actually trying to exploit that and I doubt it would ever be worth it.

Holy Freeze Merc has max res, life steal on helm and weapon but still cannot tank well. Without a merc, Fire Blast is not working good...running to town again :d
Holy Freeze for your merc isn't necessarily bad. It does somewhat weaken DS because there will be fewer corpses to blow up, but the two can work together despite this and I don't think it's a source of your problems.

Depending on what you have available, I'd strongly suggest outfitting the merc for survivability and damage, but not to use him as a primary tank. Your primary tank could be either Shadow Warrior (a bit tricky to use) or Shadow Master. If you're having a lot of trouble, Shadow Master does like to use Mind Blast, which keeps a lot of the monsters distracted. Some trapsin players don't like Shadow Master because her traps will interfere with your traps. But she doesn't spam traps and you can. I think, on balance, Shadow Master is worth it. Shadow Master isn't strictly necessary. Some people prefer Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows for crowd control.

Below my char info, what do you suggest for a safer soloing Hell? Please note that this is Single Player only.

Lvl 76
Stats: 75 STR-DEX / 300 VIT / 25 ENG (1285 life)

Weapon :Bartuc's Cut Throat
Shield :Spike Thorn (for FHR and %DR) will be replaced with Natalya's Mark at lvl79
Gloves :Gravepalm (for STR and ENG bonuses)
Belt :Gloom's Trap (for VIT and ENG bonuses)
Helm :Natalya's Totem
Boot :Natalya's Soul
Body :Natalya's Shadow
Other :Mara's / SoJ / Ravenfrost
Inv :Resistance and life charms
Switch :Teleport staff
Gear doesn't really resemble what I used, but it also strikes me as (at a glance) adequate for soloing. I can recommend some other options, but I don't think gear is your main problem.

1 Shock Web / Physic Hammer / Cloak of Shadows / Mind Blast
20 Fire Blast
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning Sentry
20 Death Sentry
I suggest picking up Shadow Master and Fade to improve your defensive capabilities. If you're not worried about your own defenses and don't want Fade, use Burst of Speed for faster movement and faster trap-placing.

viable

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you @Namtar for your valuable comments. Trap placement is really really makes difference, i need to practice. I'm used to play with melee builds so just getting into trap/magic/etc builds. I was not using Mind Blast at all, now started to use it with traps and safer than before. Killing speed is still very very slow but not running back too much. :)) I should try Shadow Master though, first i need to level up few levels, I don't have a point in SM yet.

Infinity is awesome but it is Ladder Only :( I know there are mods to enable all runewords in single player, but i prefer to stay at orginal, more challenging this way.

I have a level 2 Lower Resist wand, i'll try it to see if i can break normal monster' lightning immunity... :)

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a level 2 Lower Resist wand, i'll try it to see if i can break normal monster' lightning immunity... :)
Keep in mind that if the Lower Resist is used on an immune monster, it will only have 1/5 effectiveness. That means a wand with charges of level 2 Lower Resist will only bring the resistances of immune monsters down by 7%. So a monster with 100% lightning resistance would be brought down to 93%, not really low enough for traps to be effective.

Lightning-based javelin amazons tend to mitigate this problem by equipping multiple items with -ELR (minus enemy lightning resistance). Once an immunity is broken by a curse or aura, those debuffs from gear are able to work and they can decrease monster resistances to more manageable levels. But sadly, trapsins can't take advantage of that approach. Traps are considered their own source for damage in the game, so the lightning damage is coming from the traps, not from your assassin.

viable

Diabloii.Net Member
Keep in mind that if the Lower Resist is used on an immune monster, it will only have 1/5 effectiveness. That means a wand with charges of level 2 Lower Resist will only bring the resistances of immune monsters down by 7%. So a monster with 100% lightning resistance would be brought down to 93%, not really low enough for traps to be effective.

Lightning-based javelin amazons tend to mitigate this problem by equipping multiple items with -ELR (minus enemy lightning resistance). Once an immunity is broken by a curse or aura, those debuffs from gear are able to work and they can decrease monster resistances to more manageable levels. But sadly, trapsins can't take advantage of that approach. Traps are considered their own source for damage in the game, so the lightning damage is coming from the traps, not from your assassin.
yep, wand didn't do well hahaha. better to farm some skiller charms and -ELR items as you mention. :)

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
-ELR would be bad on a trapsin! Like I said, the game treats the lightning effects from the traps as having the traps themselves as the source, rather than the assassin. It's the same as if you had a summoned pet. Lightning Sentry and such don't benefit from your gear.

+skills are good though. I wouldn't overdo it on skiller charms because they take up so much inventory space, but they're fine.

viable

Diabloii.Net Member
hmm got it now, the traps work completely different than i thought. this also explains the low damage compared to other classes' elemental damages.

i'll work around this build, my first assassin needs some patience :d