Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trapper Claw Question

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Promethius, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Promethius

Promethius IncGamers Member

Trapper Claw Question

Can anyone tell me when is the earliest any of the vendors sell +3 trap skill claws?

2. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Assuming you mean ones with the magical effect "+3 to traps (Assassin only)", your character level matters a lot more than who you shop, since the Ilevel of things you buy at shops is based on it.

To figure out for yourself, check the Arreat Summit for the affix level (alvl) of the suffix. Subtract, IIRC, 4 because vendors sell items with item level (ilvl) of (your character's level) + 4. That's the minimum level for you to be, to be offered an item with that affix.

For absolutely best odds, you could make sure that your level is *just barely* high enough, to give the best odds of getting the affix you want. But the difference is not all that significant.

Of course, it helps to go to a vendor that sells lots of claws. Many folks like Anya, because (assuming you left the Pindleskin portal open) it's so very quick to leave town and come back so her inventory changes.

If you are looking for claws with a non-magical bonus to specific skills, analogous to the skills on staffs, wands, and sceptres, you need to go as far into Hell as possible because those bonuses appear only on elite claws, and (again IIRC) the chance of a vendor's stock being upgraded is a function of the difficulty and act as well as your character level.

3. franzjosef

franzjosef IncGamers Member

Could someone express this in the form of a table or list?

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

go to arreat summit or diabloii.net and look up prefixes under which youll find IIRC entrapping or +3 traps skills beside it will be an alvl number IIRC its 60 that is the minimum nuber that the alvl must be for you to get that prefix.

ilvl and qlvl play a role in creating that alvl so when purchasing that claw you need to worry about your clvl since it creates the ilvl when shopping shopping gives an ilvl of clvl + 4 so if you need an ilvl of 60 you need to shop with a character of clvl 56 or better to have a chance of that item appearing. Vendors in normal have a set max ilvl they can sell so shop anya in nightmare for your claw its the easiest way to buy it.

5. bipolar

bipolar IncGamers Member

Short answer: I found mine from NM Anya. Use the portal to reset, should find a +3 traps in about 15-20 minutes or so.

6. franzjosef

*spit-take* Fifteen minutes?!? I've been going about 8 hours in the last 24 and I've only had one pop on me.

Now granted, in that time also I saw 2 +2-all claws pop, as well as 2 +2 shadows claws (good on switch) and a +3 shadows great helm.

Still, fifteen minutes sounds a bit too quick. Or maybe I'm not wearing my lucky shako or something.... :scratch:

7. chessman4991

chessman4991 IncGamers Member

Your char might not be a high enough lvl. What lvl are you?

8. bipolar

bipolar IncGamers Member

Ditto. I was probably about clvl 75 or so at the time. Heck, if you're on WHCL, I'll shop some for you :p

9. franzjosef

Ahhhh... Therein may well lie The Rub. She's only 71st. I'd comparison shop with my 89th, but she cannot rapid-shop (a slip of the mouse one night), and since she's non-ladder, it'd simply be for comparison and not for keepsies (she already has her big claws).

I'm East softcore ladder, so I must graciously decline the invitation to shop.

10. franzjosef

I had a new thought yesterday.

3 flawless gems + 1 blue claw yields a new blue socketed claw. I'm wondering what my chances are of crafting a +skills claw.

I think it would come down to what claw I was using for the crafting. At the very least, I was thinking greater claws for the potential for 3 sockets.

More likely, an elite katar of some type. I keep my Str and Dex fairly high (never know what armor or claw might come along), so I could conceivably play with a scissors suwayyah.

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Just a few words read my guide here
    it explains how that flawless formula works and why you'll only ever get a max of 2 sockets with that formula, it will also explain how affix levels are calculated and why you can get +2 skill tree on those claws.

Just read the guide and it will make sense.