Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trap Assassin - Which Merc?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Iuris, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Iuris

Iuris IncGamers Member

Trap Assassin - Which Merc?

My Trapassin, lightning/fireblast, has just entered Hell. And hit a bit of a problem: the Act2 Freeze Merc keeps dieing a lot, not offering the protection needed. So, should I jump horses and go for either Act 3 Cold Merc or an Act 5 Barbarian?

2. Nethescurial

Nethescurial IncGamers Member

I tried the act 3 cold merc first when I made my Assassin like yours. By the time I got to Hell/Hell it was clear that it couldn't kill anything, even with lots of FCR. Rather than hope it could deal with fire/lightning immunes I just switched to an Act 2 Holy Freeze Merc and this was much better. Let your Shadow Master (and your Desert Wolf) deal with the monsters you can't kill with your traps - supporting them with Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows of course. Shadow Master is an amazing minion and worth investing points in. Holy Freeze from an Act 2 merc is awesome for a trapper - monsters slow down and get hit more by your traps. If the merc is dying a lot make sure first of all that it has plenty of life leech. Tal Rasha's Mask is very cheap and adds 10 LL. You should also try to get life leech on his weapon. Also if possible boost his resists with the gear you give him. The Act 5 merc is a little more durable but it is also a trouble maker - constantly running around starting fights you aren't ready for yet and the increased toughness of this merc is not nearly as valuable as the Holy Freeze aura. My fireball/blizzard Sorceress enjoys his company since chill is part of her attack, but a trapper should be played with more finesse.

3. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

IMO HF Merc Acy 2!

Give him Andys hem (eth) + upped eth Shaft (umed) + Infinity (eth CA)

See where i'm going? :D

/Dec

4. Iuris

Iuris IncGamers Member

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll try to get some better polearms and/or add some more life leech to the merc's equipment. Shadow master is the next investment, currently LVL 9-10, and I intend for it to get all the extra points now.

PS. I'm playing single players, so I would be describes as poor - the best weapons I got so far are "Honor" Thresher and Spire of Honor.

5. live_action_pain

live_action_pain IncGamers Member

I use a Act 2 Combat with Eth Crown of theives (12 LL) Eth fort and Eth Obediance (spelled wrong) but it is a really cheap runeword and my merc does up to 16K dmg.The main thing is LL IMO since he will lose life but take it back almost instantly except certain monsters that wont give up the life :lol:

6. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze NM A2 Merc

Delirium / Shaft (Cham'ed) / EBotD will do more than fine in NL.

Don't know much about Ladder but I figure Infinity can be also nice, no?

7. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Up'd Eth Items are useless.

8. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

this statement is too strong.

when you upgrade you eth body armor (shaft in this case), you'll lose its eth bonus. but the upgraded shaft is still good for use. if its not body armor, upgraded items are as usable as they were before the upgrade.

9. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

The merc will need less str to equip the up'ed eth shaftstop if he needs to.

10. Iuris

Iuris IncGamers Member

Could someone translate the terms "eth'd" &co. to the poor hermit here?