Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trap Assassin question.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by rev129, Feb 5, 2004.

1. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Trap Assassin question.

Ok, I asked a few questions yesterday about my equipment and got some GREAT answers. Well, now I'm back for a few more. I'll repost my gear and let you guys throw me some ideas.

Helm: Clean Shako
    Ammy: Rare +1Skills with some decent resist,strength and mods.
    Armor: Chains Of Honor
    Weapons: 2xBartucs
    Ring1: Raven Frost
    Ring2: SOJ
    Belt: Thunder unique
    Gloves: Frostburn
    Boots: Nats Set Boots

Ok, I took the suggestion on the boots and I'm still trying to Craft, Trade for an ammy and some gloves. But, I now have a new idea and was wanting some ideas on it.

My LS - DS - FB are maxed at 32.
    My life points are like 1430ish and i've got about 500+ mana.
    My resist in hell without fade are something like this, Max-71-5-8. With fade they are maxed out but I like the BOS and 40%FRW to really get moving.

My main question is this. Would it be worth it to trade away my SOJ for some Trap skill charms and some lightning facets to put in a 3socket claw and my Shako and replace one of the Bartucs with it? With the 3 lightning facets I'll get 15%more lightning damage but I'll lose +2Skills to all traps in the claw. But, I might make those skills up in Trap charms. So I guess it's a 2 part question: 1. Is an SOJ worth 4 Lightning facet jewels and 2 Trap Charms? 2. Is this just a dumb idea all to gether and the end result wont be anybetter than what I have now.

Also have these questions as well.

3. If I keep the SOJ I don't think I will need the Frostburn gaunts anymore. What current glove would do me best here.

4. The Thunder belt provides some nice lifepoints and other mods but might there be a better chioce for my setup considering my resist are pretty good allready?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

If it was me i'd sell the soj to a vendor! No, seriously, do not sell the soj! You can alway's find or trade trap charms and facet's, but i dont think you will find a soj again. If you want more lightning dmg, trade or find a ormus robes, iirc they can have 20%+ lightningdmg + 15% mana regenerate. For gloves, if you dont need the frostburns, use mage fist for the +1 to fire skills, or any other assa skill gloves.

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

NONONONONONO FACETS!!
    They do NOT give you the -x%, and single player testing shows that the +% does NOT do anything other than change the damage shown, and has zero effect on damage done. It is virtually unprovable as to if single player differs from battle.net, from say a server side patch or something, but it'd just be crazy to assume that imo.
    If you DID want to try it; shop a blue claw with +3 traps or +2 all (and +LS or DS if you're lucky) socket it, hoping for 2, and pop 2 facets in...I'm not sure, but I believe that would make for the best damage output. Or something I'm not sure on would be using flawless to cube a 3 socket +3 traps claw, I think that's possible, but not entirely sure.

As to what an soj is worth, and what trap charms are worth...this isn't a trade forum. I myself accumulated my trap charms first and my SoJs second. If you're just doing P/E/S runs or something like that the mana from the SoJs is not an issue, especially with +1XX from harly. Obviously you kill faster with +3-4 traps than +1 all.
    You don't really start to notice mana except when clearing whole areas, and even then it's not so bad because you can keep 4-8 blue pots on the belt.
    Infact the ONLY reason I traded for my second SoJ is to keep the nice display of "1-10K" on my character screen, otherwise I would probably have tried to track down a wisp projector instead.

To #3, other gloves you could go for include Bloodfist (I like FHR, IAS helps your trap dropping speed, and an extra 40 life never killed anyone)...I myself used a Lem+Ko on them. Then there's rare resist gloves, chance gaurds if you like MF, 20% ias gloves...etc.

To #4, good options for a belt would be Verdungo (DR instead of absorb, and the same +vit assuming you're making full use of the +20 str, and your verdungo is perfect), Arachnid Mesh (Spamming mindblast faster is useful, not to mention +1 skills), and goldwrap if you MF (upgrade for an extra row of pot).

4. MoUsE_WiZ

See my first post...

5. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

I've heard that the Ormus robe is bugged for traps, that the display shows increased damage but the increased damage aint really happening. That would also mean taking off my COH and the stats on that are to good to not use.

Ok, so keep the SOJ. Well, is a 3 socket Lightning facet Claw a better option than a Bartuc claw?

6. MoUsE_WiZ

I myself like bartucs, I put a -15% req jewel into it which allowed me to make use of 18 of the dex, and about 15 of the str. If I had known what my final gear was going to be it would have been 18/20 that I used, so almost an extra 120 life. I also prefer +2 all to +3 traps, +1% block, +1% DR, better mindblast...

7. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Thx fir the info Mouse_Wiz, I'm pretty sure I know who you are and I was deeply disappointed to see you on the Deed's list.

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

As stated above (and iirc, as I already mentioned in the first thread on this gear question, though perhaps it was someone else), Rainbow Facets do not work with traps. Don't waste 'em! The game considers traps to be minions, and facet effects only apply to *your* attacks, not your minions attacks.