Transmutation Fascination Tournament

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Transmutation Fascination Tournament

FOREWARD

Billy the Bubble Boy lived in a quiet village on the moors of Sanctuary’s western coast. He had always been a sickly child. His parents told him he had an insufficient immune response. To Billy this simply meant he had to live life in a bubble to keep him safe from evil germs. But one day a greater evil descended upon his lonely village. When the minions of Hell ravaged Billy’s home he didn’t hear them coming. He only observed a smoke in the distance before a stray arrow pierced his own sanctuary. As his bubble deflated, Billy hyperventilated and passed out. At least he was fortunate enough not to witness his families demise.

Being mistaken for dead by the ransacking monsters would likely have made little difference to Billy’s survival given his condition. Luckily a roaming sorcerer had seen the village ablaze and quickly came to the aide of the sole survivor. Recognizing the bubble apparatus, the sorcerer cast a protective spell and over time Billy recovered.

The boy was raised an apprentice to the sorcerer. And at his coming of age the sorcerer gave him a wonderful gift. It was called the Horadric Cube. This was the secret to curing Billy’s disease. As the sorcerer explained, when items were imbued with magical properties there was a latent protection against disease that was also given to each item. By adorning himself with the products of the Horadric Cube, Billy was freed from his bubble. All along the sorcerer had been providing the bubble boy with these liberating items. But knowing his quest to avenge his families death would begin, he left Billy with this most critical of possessions.

TOURNAMENT SYNOPSIS

In this tournament there are only restrictions on gear. You will only be able to use items that have been fashioned in your Horadric Cube. This will hopefully allow for using items that most wouldn’t normally go for but at the same time will make participants more familiar with all of the overlooked Cube recipes.

BASIC RULES
Updated rules are here. Hrus

-HC or SC, but if playing SC first death means your character is out of the tourney.
-v1.10, 1.11, 1.11b, vanilla, RRM/RWM all permitted.
-No multiplayer
-Players setting may be changed at will, but do not engage in killing monsters at p1 and popping chests a p8 it will give you herpes.
-No save and exit to escape your imminent demise.
-ATMA extended stash is permitted. In fact I recommend making two stashes for this tourney, one that is uncubed (dirty) and one that is transmutated (clean).
-You may only twink one item, a Horadric Cube. For those that do not wish to twink, alternatives for Act 1 play will be discussed below.
-Quests and WPs are all optional, but will aide in your scoring.
-You may rerun areas, but you can only revisit previous acts/difficulties to perform functions in town. Thus no running Countess once you have left Act 1 of that difficulty. Quests must also be completed before you leave. If you wish to save imbues/sockets for after the tourney the quest will be considered completed without performing this act, but you may not return later while still in the tournament.

EQUIPMENT RULES

-ALL non-consumable items must be made in the Horadric Cube before you equip said item. This includes any gear you or your merc wear, any charms placed in your inventory and any socket fillers you wish to place into an item. (I know it makes no sense to allow him to drink dirty potions off the ground, but the gameplay would be too tedious).
-Consumables are defined as potions, arrows/bolts, keys, and scrolls.
-If at any time you doubt whether or not a particular item has already been cubed assume it to be ‘dirty.’
-The recipe must change the inherent properties of the item. Thus the repair recipe may not be used to ‘cleanse’ an item and make it equipable. It may be used to repair already cubed items.
-Quest reward items are also allowed to be equipped without transmuting. Assume these are produced with a similar cleansing magic as the Cube. The personalization quest can be used to wild card any item in the game for your character’s use.
-If you do not wish to twink a Horadric Cube onto your character for Act 1 you may use the following strategy. If you have the ingredients for producing a magical item. Discard (do not sell) those ingredients and gamble the resultant item from Gheed. You are allowed a single gambling attempt for each set of ingredients. If you are using the cube to make white items, buy said white item from the appropriate vendor. For white items that have class specific skills, use a random number generator to select said item (ie wand). For those items that cannot be purchased, sorry. Once you reach Act 2 you may no longer equip items from vendors.
-If you happen to autoequip an empty slot please take said item off ASAP.
-You may use your starting gear.

**Acceptable items by type**

-Uniques-
No elite uniques can be used in this tourney since the only way to make a unique wearable is by upping it. Only upped normal and exceptional uniques may be worn.

-Sets-
No set items may ever be equipped since sets can’t be upped.

-Rares-
Rares can come from two places (unless you like burning all the SoJ’s you find with this character) either certain quest rewards, or from the 6 PSkull recipe.

-Magicals-
There are many recipes for magical items. Most broad is the 3PGem but astute users of the cube will know many ways to create jewelry as well as certain shields and weapons.

-Crafts-
Um…of course you can use these that’s the point.

-Sockets-
Socketed items can be made in the cube or come from Larzuk. What to put into them is another matter.

-Runes-
Any rune can be used in the production of an item, but for socketing purposes the rune used must come from the rune upgrade recipe. Sorry folks this means you can’t use your Zods. Also means making mid to high tier runewords will be a little bit tricky.

-Jewels-
Your jewels must be re-rolled before putting them into an item. Are jewels worth it? As with runes they do not need to be rerolled if being used for ingredients.

-Gems-
Gems must be upgraded before socketing. Thus no socketing chippies (I know you’re all very sad). As with other socketables these do not need to be cubed before use as ingredients.

-Charms-
You must re-roll your charms before use. This will severely limit people’s ability to use charms. But think of the vast swaths of open inventory space for picking up all the items you can’t use. Also if you’re lucky enough to find a Gheed’s you’re not lucky enough to use it. Charms may be carried unided but please do not accidentally take them into battle.

SCORING

-One point for each WP activated (note if you do not wish to activate Nihlithak’s WP simply find it and call it activated).
-Two points for each completed quest.
-One bonus point for each item of a different Horadric Cube recipe regularly equipped. (This works for different crafted item family, or blues generated with different recipes etc etc. Quest rewards do not count.)
-Five bonus points for choosing your character class at random.
-Subtract five points for each restart.
-Subtract one point for RWM enabled runewords.

Happy Cubing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum Name       Character      Class        Score     Last WP
Brak             TBD            TBD          0         -

Schmaleop

Diabloii.Net Member
-Runes-
Any rune can be used in the production of an item, but for socketing purposes the rune used must come from the rune upgrade recipe. Sorry folks this means you can’t use your Zods. Also means making mid to high tier runewords will be a little bit tricky.
I think you mean El's. 2x Cham = Zod no?
Sorry to be nit picky, not like anyone will have a Zod :)

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
A few questions and a suggestion...

Quest rewards: Would personalisation/socketing bypass the 'no set/EU item' bit?
-One bonus point for each item of a different Horadric Cube recipe regularly equipped. (This works for different crafted item family, or blues generated with different recipes etc etc. Quest rewards do not count.)
-Subtract one point for RWM enabled runewords.
Please explain these. 'Regularly equipped' means what? One point subtracted for each rwm-word 'regularly equipped' or just one point for any number?
Also, any possibillity of a bonus for randomly selecting char class from 6 out of 7? Most people have one class they like less than the others.

Maybe allow gems generated/upgraded through gem shrines?

Oh, and anyone feel like getting me a cube?:hide:

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, and anyone feel like getting me a cube?:hide:
HC or SC?

I'll likely join, but I have to figure out what I want to do about a character first. I'll probably end up skipping the bonus points for a random character.

Edit: I should clarify the cube thing. If anyone needs a SC one, they can go get their own. :grin: But if someone needs a HC cube and doesn't have a character who can get one, I'm willing to help out.

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
Nevermind on the cube. I realised that frozen orb kind of made it a breeze even at low levels, despite being HC. :embarassed: Thanks for the offer though.

So, I've got the cube. I'll sign up once I've decided on a class. If I could only be sure not to get those silly druids, I'd probably go random...

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you mean El's. 2x Cham = Zod no?
Sorry to be nit picky, not like anyone will have a Zod :)
Woops, thanks for catching me on that one. Was thinking in reverse for some reason. And also everyone note certain runewords will not be allowed due to this rule.

Quest rewards: Would personalisation/socketing bypass the 'no set/EU item' bit?
Personalization quest will bypass the no set/EU. Socketing quest will not. I know this is arbitrary but I'd like to allow some flexibility without allowing too much. Note that you must use this reward before leaving Normal or NM difficulty.

@Delreich

Regularly equiped is simply by code of honor. I you use the item during your normal questing then it counts. If you switch to it for a specific situation (ie just a boss) it does not. If you keep it in your stash and equip it when you compile your score it definitely does not. But if it is usually on your character or weapon switch it does count. So you can sacrifice utility of your switch for a couple bonus points.

Sorry I won't allow a bonus for 6 of 7.

You may consider gems obtained from gem shrines as clean in case you really want to socket a chipped gem.

Finally you subtract one point for each RWM enabled item you or your merc are using.

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
-Sockets-
Socketed items can be made in the cube or come from Larzuk. What to put into them is another matter.
This bit has me a bit confused, then. Would the item in question already have to be clean, or will Larzuk clean items of lower quality? (magic? rare?)

On scoring, if I use an item made by one recipe for part of the journey (say, A1 and a bit of A2) and then swap it for an item made with another recipe, would I get 2 points for that?
Max score possible from this part would be equal to the number of valid recipes, then? I'm guessing socket fillers (gems, jewels, runes) and charms don't count. Merc equip counts?
Oh, and similar for RWM-words, right? Wearing one then swapping for another is -2?

Anyway, I'm in:
Code:
Delreich         Billie_Bubble  Amazon       1         Rogue Camp

Last edited:

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I'm going in on this one, seems pretty interesting.
I don't really get all rules yet, they are kinda blurry to me :p There will probably be alot of questions :p
Anyway we can use anything that's been modificated by the cube (except repair) and for upgrading we can use 'dirty' runes/gems, but for socketing they must be pure, right?
Any quest reward is a freebie, except any set and elite uniques. Also, no el's, you are making your restrictions, aren't you :wink3:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Why do the rules always make sense in your head but then are totally confusing once you try to write them down:scratch:

The Larzuk rule is quite confusing. I should have been much more clear on this one.

The way I intended this to work was that if you use a white item to make a socketed item it will be 'clean.' But if you use a non-white item it must be 'clean' prior to socketing. Now that I think about it this seems like discrimination. So from now on Larzuk's reward cannot be used to clean ANY item types. I'd go rewrite the rules but the edit timeline has passed.

As far as scoring goes, yes you are limited by the number of recipes. But no, your history of item use in that particular slot does not apply. So if you 'upgrade' you white belt for a caster crafted belt, the white item recipe is not maintained.

I would write a complete list of unique cube recipes but I do not have time to go visit the AS and transpose them right now but for example if you have:
2-caster rings
1-safety amulet
6-magical charms
1-Stealth armor
1-Spirit sword
1-Rhyme shield
1-Rare circlet (rolled with skulls not from imbue)
1-Up'd magefists
1-Caster boots

and your merc has on
1-Insight Polearm
1-Blood Helm
1-Magical Armor

You would score
+1 for caster rings/boots
+1 for safety amulet
+1 for magical charms/merc armor (assuming all rerolled with 3Pgem)
+1 for socket recipe (stealth, spirit, rhyme, insight)
+1 for rare circlet
+1 for unique upping recipe (this is considered the same regardless of weapon/armor and normal/exceptional)
+1 for blood helm
-1 for Spirit
-1 for Inisight

Total score for gear = 5
Now if you switch out your Mercs Insight for an up'd unique you get 1 point back because you have removed the penalty. But if you switch it out for a Magical socketed polearm using the 3chippy + weapon recipe you will gain two points, 1 for removing Insight penalty and 1 for adding a new recipe to your gear.

Note that items socketed into gear do not count. And what you do with your gray socketed items has no bearing on their scoring differently (ie Stealth armor, 4Tal Maul and 3PDia shield are all considered the same).

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice, simple rules. I like that. I'm in. Now I'm in 3 tournaments, that's more like it :smiley: I need a cube: which throwaway character would be best at a quick run to the Halls of the Dead? Holy Fire Pal comes to mind.

Rolled a 2, that's an assassin. Probably a trapper; melee might be too harsh.

The bubble boy is the sorcerer's apprentice? That conjures up an interesting image somewhere between George Costanza and Mickey Mouse.

-Consumables are defined as potions, arrows/bolts, keys, and scrolls.
Tomes aren't consumable, but it would be tedious without them. As their use doesn't alter gameplay in any significant manner, can you allow them?
But think of the vast swaths of open inventory space for picking up all the items you can’t use.
:laugh:

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice, simple rules. I like that. I'm in. Now I'm in 3 tournaments, that's more like it :smiley: I need a cube: which throwaway character would be best at a quick run to the Halls of the Dead? Holy Fire Pal comes to mind.
It's easier than that. Just find a character with the Halls WP who can get the cube easily. Give their cube to your new character. Then, they can get a new cube. (In other words, it doesn't matter which quests you completed, if you character doesn't have a cube, a new one will drop.)

Ohomemgrande

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Ohomemgrande     Shifty         Druid        0         Rogue Camp
I randomly rolled a 7 and chose the 7th character from the left of the character select screen which equaled: Druid.

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
my post dissapeared :/
I dont really get all rules.
Will any item that is acceptable to wear give 1 point, except rwm rw's taht will give - 1?
Does RW's give anythign at all?
Does items socketed by the cube get wear-able, but not if larxuk does it? also, does those items give points?
I better read the rules again and see if I get it better this time :p

edit: more clarification.
I can use chipped gems to reroll items with the 6 chippy recipe right?(or whatever the number is :p)

Last edited:

MetalKelt

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
MetalKelt        Arlynn         Amazon       0         Rogue Camp
Rolled a one, Amazon. Hmmm....

Maybe javs, since starting gear is clean...

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
Mmkay, time to pester Brak some more then...

Do transmuted arrows/bolts score?
The Hel+TP, just like the repairs, doesn't cleanse an item, right?
Also, seems you forgot about rare-upping...

You seem to have grouped some recipes, like to clarify which ones those are?
List of recipes, gem/potion/rune stuff and repair/socket-nuke stuff excluded:
Code:
2 arrows -> bolts
2 bolts -> arrows

1 axe + 1 dagger -> throwing axe
1 spear + 1 arrow quiver -> javelins

Eld + 1 chipped gem + low weapon -> normal weapon
El  + 1 chipped gem + low armor  -> normal armor

1 perfect gem of each type + 1 amulet -> prismatic amulet
1 ring + 1 perfect ruby + 1 exploding potions -> garnet ring
1 ring + 1 perfect sapphire + 1 thawing potions-> cobalt ring
1 ring + 1 perfect topaz + 1 rejuvenation -> coral ring
1 ring + 1 emerald + 1 antidote potions -> jade ring
3 rings -> amulet
3 amulets -> ring

3 chipped gems + 1 magic weapon -> socketed, magic weapon
3 standard gems + 1 socketed weapon ->  magic, socketable weapon
3 flawless gems + 1 magic weapon -> socketed, magic weapon

1 magic small shield + 1 spiked club + 2 skulls -> shield of spikes
4 health potion + 1 ruby + 1 magic sword -> sword of the leech
1 diamond + 1 kriss + 1 staff + 1 belt -> savage polearm

3 perfect gems + 1 magic item -> magic item
6 perfect skulls + 1 rare item -> 1 low level rare item
1 perfect skull + 1 rare item + soj -> 1 high level rare item
3 perfect skull + 1 rare item + stone of jordan-> add 1 socket to rare

Hitpower craft:
<see AS>

Blood craft:
<see AS>

Caster craft:
<see AS>

Safety craft:
<see AS>

Add sockets:
<see AS>

Upgrade Unique:
<see AS>

Upgrade Rare:
<see AS>
I put labels on the ones you've already mention as grouped, and made an assumption about rare-upping.
The rest I grouped for visibillity only, not to indacte the should be grouped for scoring.

Anything in there that doesn't cleanse an item? Anything that isn't eligable for scoring? Anything not labeled that should be grouped?

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Brak             Asthmazon      Amazon       6         Rogue Camp
MetalKelt        Arlynn         Amazon       0         Rogue Camp
I also rolled a 1. This random number generator does not seem to be working too randomly. Don't for get to give yourself points for Town WPs and your random number roll. Need to think about a build. Getting decent Javs from crafting may not be all that easy. And bows are pretty much limited to Magicals.

Will any item that is acceptable to wear give 1 point, except rwm rw's taht will give - 1?
Does RW's give anythign at all?
Does items socketed by the cube get wear-able, but not if larxuk does it? also, does those items give points?
I better read the rules again and see if I get it better this time :p

edit: more clarification.
I can use chipped gems to reroll items with the 6 chippy recipe right?(or whatever the number is :p)
-Any acceptable item to wear that is of a unique recipe 'family' will give one point. Reusing that recipe in another slot adds no additional points. The only items that by themselves do not score points are quest rewards and starting gear.
-RW's don't give additional points. But using a base item that is gray socketed will. What you put in it is of no regard. If you only have one socketed item and it is a RWM runeword it will actually score a zero. Because you get 1 point for the socketed recipe, but then subtract one point for the RWM usage.
-Yes items that are cube socketed become wearable, but not Larzuk socketed. That rule has been altered since the first post. As above a single socketed item is worth a point. Additional ones are not.
-You can use the 3 chippie recipe to make usable items. In fact any time you put something in the cube, you press the button and the light flashes across it you can use that newly generated item. Single exception is if it was only altered by the Ral/Ort repair recipe.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, thanks for doing all of the actual work for me :grin: . I'll go through and group everything by family as you posted.

Mmkay, time to pester Brak some more then...

Do transmuted arrows/bolts score?
The Hel+TP, just like the repairs, doesn't cleanse an item, right?
-Arrows and bolts are considered consumables and thus do not score.
-Good point on the Hel+TP recipe. I consider this in the same family as the repair recipe and this it should not be considered as 'cleansing' the item. Feel free to use it on equipable gear.

Also, seems you forgot about rare-upping...
-Thanks for bringing this to my attention yes this is doable and considered separately from unique upping.

I've reformatted your very nice table, anything that starting with its own dash constitutes a unique scorable recipe family

Code:
-1 axe + 1 dagger -> throwing axe

-1 spear + 1 arrow quiver -> javelins

-Eld + 1 chipped gem + low weapon -> normal weapon
El  + 1 chipped gem + low armor  -> normal armor

-1 perfect gem of each type + 1 amulet -> prismatic amulet

-1 ring + 1 perfect ruby + 1 exploding potions -> garnet ring
1 ring + 1 perfect sapphire + 1 thawing potions-> cobalt ring
1 ring + 1 perfect topaz + 1 rejuvenation -> coral ring
1 ring + 1 emerald + 1 antidote potions -> jade ring

-3 rings -> amulet
3 amulets -> ring

-3 chipped gems + 1 magic weapon -> socketed, magic weapon
3 standard gems + 1 socketed weapon ->  magic, socketable weapon
3 flawless gems + 1 magic weapon -> socketed, magic weapon

-1 magic small shield + 1 spiked club + 2 skulls -> shield of spikes

-4 health potion + 1 ruby + 1 magic sword -> sword of the leech

-1 diamond + 1 kriss + 1 staff + 1 belt -> savage polearm

-3 perfect gems + 1 magic item -> magic item

-6 perfect skulls + 1 rare item -> 1 low level rare item
1 perfect skull + 1 rare item + soj -> 1 high level rare item

-3 perfect skull + 1 rare item + stone of jordan-> add 1 socket to rare

-Hitpower craft:
<see AS>

-Blood craft:
<see AS>

-Caster craft:
<see AS>

-Safety craft:
<see AS>

-Add sockets:
<see AS>

-Upgrade Unique:
<see AS>

-Upgrade Rare:
<see AS>
Thanks a lot for helping me clarify the scoring system:flowers: . As you can see the scoring was something I added very last minute and didn't think through terribly well. I tend to be more interested in everyone making it to Gaurdian/Pat/Mat while having fun, than getting points:thumbsup: . But if we all finish we have to have some way of declaring a winner:wink2: .

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems like a lot of stress on finding gems. Also runes.

Seems players will be very limited in Act One. And Crafting will not become relevant for quite a long while.

A Skellimancer or a Trapsin would be kinda cheesy here.