Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Transferring from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Thelonius Fringeweasel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Thelonius Fringeweasel

Thelonius Fringeweasel IncGamers Member

Transferring from Mac to PC

Hey, all.

I've played DII on a Mac for a while, and now I'm trying to move all of my old single-player characters to a Windows machine. I've just discovered that, apparently, DII Mac files aren't in the same format as DII PC files. The saves are in the right folder, but the game isn't recognizing them. I tried opening them up in Notepad and fiddling with them a little, but to no avail.

Does anyone know how to convert these? Thanks in advance!

2. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Simple solution. Trade in your PC for another Mac you damn fool heretic. Otherwise you just have to start all over again.

In a world without walls or fences, what need is there for windows or gates?

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

There probably isn't a solution because the save files are in a binary format and the CPUs of Macs and PCs differ with respect to how 16 and 32 bit numbers are stored in memory (and therefore in files as well). A conversion would be possible, but a programmer needs in-depth knowledge about the save file format to develop a conversion program and I doubt that anybody did that job.

4. Thelonius Fringeweasel

Thelonius Fringeweasel IncGamers Member

Damn. That's what I was afraid of.

Sokar, don't worry; I still have my Mac. It's just that the PC in question is a fairly new desktop which makes a much better gaming machine than my Rev A Blueberry iBook. Looks like I'm stuck with it, though, 'till I can come up witht the scratch for a new G5.

Thanks for the responses.

5. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

hmm i dont know what u have problems whit, i have tons of mac- .d2s files that work perfectly well on my pc. i played on a mac formore than 4 years and only for half a year now i play on pc, still i have all my chars and items.

so what happens exactly if you just copy the save folder 1to1 from your mac to your pc ?

what i did is just burn a backup cd whit all save files, copied .d2s files ( since there is no mac atma version i had to copy the .d2s file whit the item i wanted to mule away in a folder named "item xy" ) and loaded em again on my pc... as long as you write the cd in mac and winblows format, the comp will recognize it, well, mine did.

please tell me more precisely how you transfer and what the comp does when you try to load the savegames.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, ok, that proves my theory wrong, of course.

The problem might be that the PC is at a different (lower) patch level than the Mac.