Transfering Saved files to other users?

Gabber_Roid

Diabloii.Net Member
Transfering Saved files to other users?

I skimed the sticky and a quick search.

I guess this is a no-no since I'm not seeing much talk about it?

What is stoping me from emailing/hosting my saved player files to another person? Or is this somehow blocked and the user is locked to the key?

Would be kinda cool if I could just mess around with someone elses build before deciding if I thought it was fun enough to play or not.

Gabber_Roid

Diabloii.Net Member
Ahhhh... :jig: Completely searched the wrong forum... didn't even think about looking in the trading forum. :scratch:

You can do it the same way you send a mule/item over email, by simply sending the file as an attachment, but as aoshi said, your not alowed to trade characters.

Shagsbeard

Diabloii.Net Member
No one here is going to tell you what you can or can't do on your own machine, within your own circle of friends. What we ask here is that you respect the wishes of our community and not trade items with us that are 'tainted'. Using a character that you didn't develope yourself, with equipment that has been duplicated would definately 'taint' any item found by that character, or any subsequent character that used items found by that character.

So... have fun... just don't ruin ours.

Gabber_Roid

Diabloii.Net Member
So FB, I'm assuming I'd be on my own if I went out to google and my c0mptar got hakz0rd?

Seems like a regular ole ds2 file couldn't be that much of a threat.

Gabber_Roid

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh belive me, I totally see how this could reak havok in the game play universe.

Just my curiosity getting to me, (that and the fact I didn't even look in the trading forum seeing as how I wouldn't consider it a 'trade' per say) :D

Gabber_Roid said:
So FB, I'm assuming I'd be on my own if I went out to google and my c0mptar got hakz0rd?

Seems like a regular ole ds2 file couldn't be that much of a threat.
Well if you got a virus/spyware from a site downloading D2 character, i, and most others, would chuckle and say its your own fault.
Your very very unlikely to get a virus disguised as a *.d2s file, since that file name was made for ATMA, so unless another well used program uses that file ending, no-one will bother making a virus out of it.

tenaka

Diabloii.Net Member
Erm, ATMA just reads *.d2s files. They are created by Blizzard as D2's save file for a character. You had *.d2s files the first time you made an SP char.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Gabber_Roid said:
Would be kinda cool if I could just mess around with someone elses build before deciding if I thought it was fun enough to play or not.
If you do "borrow the build to try it", I don't think it's cheating if you follow this conditions:

You have to delete the borrowed/downloaded character and all the items this char will found after you will try that. (no muling out - not a single chipped gem)
This way your other characters will not be tainted.
Also you can't join any MP games with this character.

EDIT: (Hmmm, actually it's still cheating, but you should be still able to trade with others ....)

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Note also that if you trade with Mac people you'll be dealing in .d2s files. Sometimes I take all gear/stash gear/merc gear/money off of my current character and leave only the present I'm sending someone on it. They get the item involved in the trade. They also get a nekkid level 72 CB sorc or whatever, but I generally trust them to throw that thing away when they get what they came for.

Not that. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Seriously.

Llathias

Banned
if it's actually to try out a build to decide if you wanna do it or not, for example borrowed from a friend, i don't see anything wrong with it. say you visited that friend and played with the char in his machine. would it be cheating?

Randall

Diabloii.Net Member
There is a way of doing this correct if you don't want to dupe:

- Your friend send and delete his character you get his character. Now you can play and keep anything you like. (it's now your character)
- The same routine while transferring back. You send and delete the character and he receives it again.

Keypoint is make sure there is only one instance of the character that is being used. (just like with items)

Apperently you can also not trade it according to the trade forum.

Randall