Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trang Pally Help please...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Wmeredith, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

Trang Pally Help please...

I know nothing about Mage Pally's. I've only ever played melee Pally builds. I have recently obtained about half of the gear I need to make a FB/Hydra/Conviction-din. I was wondering if any of the Paladin mage experts could point out any flaws in this build idea (my gear mainly, I'm familiar with the build)...

Main skills will be Hydra and Fireball. I have a nice Holy shield and Maxed convict, but the rest of this pally's skills are set up as a Dreamer. I suppose the maxed Salvation and Light Res auras will be party friendly. Anyway, I plan on running convict most of the time, while laying down hydras and spamming Fireballs.

Gear:
    Trang Glove
    Trang Belt
    Dragonscale
    These are necessary to get the Hydra and Fireball going.

2 SoJ's
    20 Mara's
    Harlequin Crest
    Upp'd Perf Viper Magi (Maybe FB Ormus)
    Wizspike (Maybe Moonfall, but I'll seriously be hurting for resists.)
    Silkweave

What Charms? Life + mana I guess. I don't think res will be a probelm. (I have no anni.) I'll probably run dual spirits on switch for Holy shield pre-buff.

I'm comfortable with all this gear, except I have no idea what the FCR BP's are for a Pally. If anyone has built one of these and can offer any advice it would be appreciated.

By the way, I know I won't be godly in hell, I just want to be party friendly (Convict/Max Salvation) and freak people out with my hydras and FB's :D .

2. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

3. Wmeredith

Thanks, I checked out the FB guides and they helped a lot.

4. Izo Huio

Izo Huio IncGamers Member

Stick Fire Facats everywhere and you'll be fine, although, you may wanna go 3 trang oul items for firewall, which although, is harder to use, does alot of damage...

Note: You need a FI Solution... a Holy Freeze Merc should be helpful...

5. GodObelisk

GodObelisk IncGamers Member

To use firewall, u hv to tank the monsters, thereby making them stationary. Use of HF merc + unique thresher is a good combination for most builds. Same as for fire mage. :D

However does fire bolt/ball (cant recall) deal out sufficient dmg in hell to be useful??

6. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

You should try to PM Shr00mtrip, as far as I know he's the only person who made a successful one.

There is this guide as well, in which Lovelygods and I had a bunch of technical conversation. I'd really rather not repeat what I wrote there :)p). It's focused on Fire Ball Paladins. I think the guide Heav linked was to normal mages (Hammer/FoH).

So if you need any more help, feel free to PM me as well. I had plans to make one of these but eventually got caught up in some other projects like my WolfBarb, WWBarb, Liberator, Dreamadin, etc. But anyways I still remember a lot of what I had planned. I'll probably make this one very soon. I'm assuming you're making this on USEast Ladder so we could test them out together at some point or other :D

Shr00mtrip's FBP is also on USEast Ladder. His account is *Shr00mtrip (those are zeros); mine are *exi1e through *exi5e, if you ever need to catch me online for info feel free. I can't volunteer Shr00m's help but you could go ahead and whisper him anyways :p.

Good luck.

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

You must use Moonfall; Fireball won't be of use without it. A ring of Firebolt charges is great too. Synergy is probably more useful than +skill. +3FB +15% Fire Ormus Robes is the best armour you can get, but failing that a Vipermagi would suffice (or if you can manage it, CoH). You can Um/PDiamond your shield, helm and armour if you feel the need. Moonfall may as well have a fire facet. As for charms, you'll need shimmering/scintillating charms for sure, and +life and mana is always good. You may find that rare boots with 20+ lit and fire resists is preferable to Silkweaves. Get a CtA on switch if you can, the mana boost is great. You might find you'll actually want to put some points into Energy with this build. Shocking, I know.

8. Wmeredith

I've got a trade waiting on a 14% FB Ormus right now.

I put him together last night. He looks like this:

Shako
    Perf Upp'd Vmagi
    Wiz Spike (Waiting on a Moonfall trade)
    DragonScale
    Eye of etlich
    FCR/Mana/all res ring
    Trabg belt/Glove
    BK ring (Will replace with SoJ soon)
    Silkweaves (Mana)

I like him, very unique. The fireball damage isn't great, but the moonfall is coming, and this guy is mostly a Conviction/Salvation antenna for a party I run with a lot. I like it. Thanks for all the input everyone. Not sure if I want to spend the runeage on the Fire Facets for this guy. I may put an SoJ on him and a Moonfall and call it done.

9. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

I strongly suggest these gear switches:

DragonScale -> 35% Paladin-only Spirit (Resist All automod)
    Eye of etlich -> Mara's would really beef up your lowered resists after you swap out your Viper and Wiz.
    FCR/Mana/all res ring -> (Magic) Ring of Fire Bolt, lvl5. You already hit the 75%FCR breakpoint with Spirit/Trang/Ormus.

And of course, your Moonfall/Ormus replacements.

Dragonscale is cool because of the Hydra and Fire damage bonus, but is otherwise a very useless shield. Hydra does very low damage, and that can't be helped at all. You really wouldn't be able to kill anything big with it.

10. Shr00mtrip

Shr00mtrip IncGamers Member

Well... looks like I missed a lot after being gone a week.

My advice/help is free to be asked for although it looks like exile has helped you out a fair bit. My Pally does about 1.3k with basically the best gear available. I just need one more 5/5 fire facet to finish it off. I think the top damage will be just under 1.4k without Conviction. I have found it almost imperative to get some kind of backupskill for FI because even if you get rid of the immune... it takes FOREVER to fireball them to death. FOH seems to be taking a little too long for my liking even with the max synergy,so a nice wep with Vengence should be fine for that on the switch, along with whatever merc you choose. For charms... resists are the only real things lacking for me that I've seen, try to get some mana with them to help out. I kinda went away from Salvation because without Convic... you do little to no damage, but for the party people, Salvation will be alright if you want to let them do the killing :lol: .

A bit OT:I have a firebolt ring or two lying around for anyone that needs.

Good luck to ya :thumbsup:

*shr00mtrip

11. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Erm . . . I do think Dragonscale is going to be better - +15% fire damage is a lot, plus the O-skill Hydra at a base level of 10 - it's pretty much indispensible for this build.

Mara's? Why not Rising Sun? More damage that way - the way I see it, this build's main issue is killing power - resists are nice, but this isn't going to be a great character in Hell - might as well concentrate on NM.

12. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Remember that even in the 20s, Hydra only deals ~150 average damage. Which is pretty insignificant.

The Fire damage bonus is nice but don't forget that higher damage won't help you if your resists are closer to 0 than 75 in Hell. I still think the +Skills, FCR, and resists are indispensible.

As for Rising Sun, Mara's gives +2 to All Skills instead of only to Fire Skills, as well as a resist bonus. so you get the same skill bonus (actually, more) as well as resists with Mara's.

I can't really talk much about efficiency in Hell but it should do just fine with Conviction. Shr00m probably has the most experience.

13. Shr00mtrip

As I said before, you can pritty much solo hell if you really wanted to. All you need is a backup skill for FI. Even with Conviction, which helps a LOT with everything else, you need something else, unless you enjoy hacking down Redwoods with a dinnerspoon which is how it is with Fireball and the unimmuned FI baddies. But other then that it just takes a little bit of style to pull it off. Up to Hell should be a breeze just using HS and a melee wep. I would also like to point out the hefty str reqs on Dragonscale. 184 IIRC which could be better spent on Vit. Another thing with the ammys, Maras helps all your skills *cough*CONVICTION*cough* so that's less points you have to spend in that and more for a backup skill/synergy.

14. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I too have played around with this guy. 15 fire ormus with 3 fireball works great. I managed to use a spirit (+2/35 fcr) really helps a lot. in all actuality, 1600 average fireball damage isn't bad. you can do the calcs yourself if you want, or you can use chippydips calculator with the appropriat levels of fireball, firebolt, and level 1 fire mastery (15 from ormus, 15 more from facets). It should give you 1.6k damage or so, and its a great deal of fun in hell. I feel that foh is the best backup (see shroom for advice on this as well), and maxing holy shield is a great way to help block (lets face it, spirit sucks for block). for pvp, it plays pretty much as a foh pally. when they come after you and absorb, switch over to fireball and watch them die to about 400/500 damage (after pvp penalty) fireballs, because I have yet to see anyone stack vs. fire damage.

--welt

15. Shr00mtrip

My damage hasn't reached 1.6k yet... I dunno if it's just that the calc on the 'A' screen is flawed or something? Not too sure about that fire mastery though, that might be it.

16. Weltkriegpally

are you using +30 fire damage? that would make things a bit easier. even then, doing the calcs by hand seems to give you the 1.6k. I will rebuild my guy (took apart for my zealot...couldn't resist the name) and see what I can do to get his damage numbers again.

--welt

17. Shr00mtrip

Well I actually haven't tried any calculations by hand or otherwise as I'm not a numbers kinda guy, but I do have +25 to damage as I am still missing one facet. The only other thing I don't see is the one point in Fire Mastery... where do you get that from? It could be just an oversight on my part but you need fulltrangs to get that?

18. Weltkriegpally

well. I was playing with the gear selection. I figured out what level of fireball I would have with my gear, what level of meteor charges (11), firebolt (5), +15% fire damage from ormus and 15 more from facets (shako/ormus/moonfall) and that equates to Exactly level 1 fire mastery at 30% fire damage. gear is as follows for my setup.

trangs gloves
    trangs belt.
    soj 1 all
    firebolt ring
    moonfall
    harlequin crest 2 all
    spirit pally shield 2 all
    maras/+2 ammy (maras/seraphs) 2
    anni 1
    3 fireball ormus with 15% fire damage.

level 29 fireball
    11 meteor charges
    5 firebolt
    level 1 firemastery.

play with chippydips and it gives me exactly 1455-1606 damage. If I do the calculations with the calculator, its within one damage of the chippydips.

if you use a cta on switch for the +1, you get 1535 to 1691 damage, and 75 fcr easily.

I would say it works out pretty well, myself.

--welt