Trading Question

JArmour

Diabloii.Net Member
Trading Question

I think I understand the how of mule trading from another post, but I don't fully understand the why. I assume that there is some increased safety, but other then that I'm a little lost.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob The Barbarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Trading Question

I rarely (read never) do that sort of trading myself. However, it seems to me that the best reason for doing such a trade is where you and the other party have schedules that are difficult to reconcile (sp?). Normally, I am satisfied with meeting the other person face to face in the game and making the trade there.

There is no real added safety factor as you are depending up the integrity of the other trader to leave what he has promised to deliver. Remember that as he also has control of that account you've set up, he can freely leave or take any items on it. Be sure you only leave what you have agreed to trade. The whole point is the added convenience.

BTW, this is the manner in which items which you've bought for real money are delivered to you in the game. Obviously they can't be sent to you in a package. So the vendor sets up an account and leaves a toon there with the item(s) you've paid for for pickup at your convenience.

Happy trading.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

We don't endorse items/accounts being sold for real money on this forum. In fact we ban people for it.

In SP emailing items is the standard way to transfer. It's easier, quicker and as we have a *very* different economy to the Realms, it's safer.

Personally I wouldn't mule trade on the Realms, I'd rather meet up in game. Having said that I'm not an expert on Realm trading.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

JArmour, as Bob said, it's all about convenience. However, I really am not worried much about having my items "stolen." Even when I meet face-to-face with a forum trader, I usually just throw my items on the ground and wait for the other to do the same. In the first forum trade I ever did, the other member threw his Um on the ground (the highest rune I had ever seen) and I slowly started dropping my pgems or whatever it was. That trade left a real impression on me.

I would never "steal" items during a trade. I certainly would not trade in my reputation for a few measly pixels. I've helped another member move some high end items around before, and this was a member I had never dealt with before, so I feel a fair bit of trust towards forum members. This will likely get some of my items stolen at some point, but that's cost of not worrying about it.

However, if I've arranged a trade with a new trade forum member (one with a low trade rating), I insist that they send a mule first. And if someone with bad feedback wanted to trade with me, I would refuse.

Thyiad, can you explain what you mean by "emailing items?" Or should I just look around/ask in the SP forum?

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

ATMA is a SP muling utility. GoMule does the same thing. They both have guides, check the Muling Sticky in the SPF.

Short version you can a character or a 'stash' with *a lot* of items in. You send the item in a stash or on a char to your partner, they confirm receipt and you delete it from your hard drive. It is for this reason that the SP(T)F is highly anti dupe and with nail anyone who does.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I use ATMA for the drop calculator. So you can save an item with ATMA and send the file? Neat.

jimmah

Diabloii.Net Member

However, if I've arranged a trade with a new trade forum member (one with a low trade rating), I insist that they send a mule first. And if someone with bad feedback wanted to trade with me, I would refuse.
Why not just use the trade window if you are uncertain about the trader?

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I do, unless a mule trade is necessary for the above-mentioned reasons. Or if the trader insist on a mule trade.

As for someone with a poor trade rating, it depends. I'll look at their post history, and if they appear to be dishonest, I won't trade at all. I don't want to boost their trade rating so that they can scam someone later.

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member

Also if someone buys massive amounts of crafting materials (ie. 100+ of each component) from multiple sellers, mule trades is highly preferred, as this leaves the buyer the option of completing all of his crafting without having to move a very large number of single space items to/from stashes.
This was of course more of an issue with the old rules, where trades involving more than 60 spaces IIRC, were disallowed.