Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trading - How do I learn what I need to know to not get cheated? d

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by dopplex, Apr 4, 2004.

1. dopplex

dopplex IncGamers Member

Trading - How do I learn what I need to know to not get cheated?

I've just recently resumed playing D2 again, after a very long break. I've managed to build my main character up to where she can just manage to go on runs through some of the high area level parts of Act 1 Hell to try to find items.
    The problem I'm running into is that for the most part I haven't the least clue what anything whatsoever is worth. I was wondering if there was any resource for roughly what items are worth? I know that it will vary to some degree based on who you're trading with, etc.... But I need to just find out enough to make sure that when I start trying to trade things, I can recognize a good, a bad, or a relatively even deal.
    This is made even harder by the fact that most items seem to have nicknames or acronyms, so trying to learn from watching the trading channel, for instance, becomes next to impossible, as a newbie like me hasn't the least clue what anyone is talking about. I was quite confused at first by people referencing ethereal equipment as "eth", thinking that they were talking about the rune!
    So... Is there any such resource? If not, what is the best way to learn these sorts of things?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

trade forums. browse through the posts with more than 1 response. you'll get a good feel for value, eg. selling x, i offer y, no way noob, k y + z, deal

3. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

If you're playing on europe non-ladder, there is a price guide in the trade value channel. If you're playing somewhere else, it could at least give you an idea.
    Usually on this forums, people won't try to scam you. If you specify that you're new and don't know the values, you will get fair offers for your items. And if you don't understand, ask. But don't try this on Bnet, you will get eaten in 5 secs...
    To learn about trading, items, scams, cheats, etc, just read, read, read. You will find everything you need to know on the forums and on diabloII.net.
    Last but not least, most items traded here are of high value. If you're new, or making a come-back, that means you're also poor. So don't worry too much about names of best items and values. Make a starting char, collect/cube crafting runes and perfect gems in nightmare and hell, and sell them here for good items. You can get a very decent gear for a few hundred gems (but they won't get you a "BotD Eth CB" = Breath of the Dying runeword in an ethereal Colossus Blade)
    Good luck

4. dopplex

dopplex IncGamers Member

Thanks, I'll check out the price guide. Right now, the only thing I have of any real worth is a Ber rune - so yeah, I'm pretty poor. I have an amazon who can just manage to survive runs in the Hell/Mausoleum (She seems to get eaten alive by the Pit), so I'm guessing that's my best shot for finding initial "capital". Thanks again, off to check out that price guide.

5. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

www.d2data.net

to the right, under "tools" there is a search tool. Type in the name of the items you wanna know about. If it found any items matching your search then the name of that item will show. Click on it.
    lets say you searched on "windforce" or "hydrabow".

that will result in

"Diablo2 - Uniq Item(Windforce) (score: 25) "
    click on that and you will get some info about windforce.
    There you can se that windfoce is "wep87" meaning TreasureClass(TC) 87, which is the highest TC in D2.

If you want a rough value of an item then looking at the items TC usually works. This isn´t true for all items though.

Also runes, like your BER, is worth ALOT (maybe not on Bnet though cause of the duping.

GL anyway :)

6. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

The only downside of the trade values forum is the small amount of replies. When I started out my threads were rarely replied to. Looking at older threads is certainly a lot faster.

Next: The majority of members here are not out to get you. Often other people will warn you. For example, if you are giving your offered item for far too cheap you may get a warnin from other members. It rarely occurs that ppl "screw over" ppl with little knowledge in values.

-Backdoor Bandit