Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trading "Economy"

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by davew2040, Mar 10, 2004.

1. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

Trading "Economy"

Lately, I get the distinct impression that virtually everyone who's considered "wealthy" in this quaint little Diablo 2 trading economy (specifically ladder) has done so by exploiting the dupe situation. That is, either by explicitly duping runes themselves, or by somehow tacitly riding the dupe wave(s) to a profitable conclusion.

The best items in the game (i.e. ones not derived from combinations of runes) have mostly sunken to pathetic trade values, whereas relatively-common items that serve no purpose but to host runewords have been inflated past their rarity.

I think this sort of economy makes it very difficult for new players (or at least, honest ones) to achieve anything more than a middling status.

I'm sure everyone else has thoughts on this, so what are they?

2. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

Take a person with no MF into the Pit's for 20 minutes, you'll get one of the bit three. Eth Berserker Axe, Eth CB, or 3 Socket -name of armor here-

Each will net you considerable wealth. It's just a matter of taking the time to get those items.

Oh, and use the D2.net trading forums, you can still trade low level stuff on there.

3. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

Actually, I think that its everyones search for wealth that has the "economy" so messed up. I mean I like having nice items, but if my characters can survive and do well without a BOTD zerker axe or enigma armor than i dont see the point in wanting them. As long as I have good enough stuff to live through the game then I'm happy, and the extra stuff that i have is usually just given away.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

The beefed up hellforge quest reward can give you a nice rune on nm and hell to buy starter mf equipment with, and you go from there. It's not that hard to get reasonable wealthy like this, even for the casual player.

And historically the economy has been dupe driven, we just have to deal with that fact I guess.

5. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

man i wish this was true. 20 minutes? ive spent at least 75 runs in the pits with my barb with no mf trying to find an ethreal colossus blade but it doesnt happen.

6. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Eth zerker is the biggie.....I've done tons of pit runs, and have yet to see a zerker of ANY kind. And thats w/ low or high mf. If U find any of those in 20 minutes yer EXTREMELLY lucky. Or else everyone would be doing them and then there would be no great demand for zerkers...

7. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I got a Gul rune from Hellforge. That's where it all started for me.

I actually totally and completely missed out on the dupe. It's a big P.Off for me. I missed the soj dupe in 1.09 as well. I log on one afternoon and the place has gone nuts and all my tradeables are worthless. Really p-s' me off I tell ya.

The only thing the dupe has done is make runes cheaper for a short while. Now that they're back to being expensive, people are screaming for runes and not equipment. Just about any pit capable char can find stuff given enough time and effort. Maybe not eth zerkers, but definately high level uniques.

The first mistake most people make is not knowing the value of what they overlook, and under- or over-valuing their first big ticket items because they want to close the deal or they have unrealistic expectations.

eg. I have a friend who found three successive ists from three successive hell char hellforges. I wanted to strangle him - right up until wasted them all massively overpaying for items his character needed (eg. ist for occy).

Yet another one of my friends finds his first ever tal armor, and runs around demanding soj for it. Obviously, because HE has never seen it before, it's really valuable.. right?

Sigh.

You know MF doesn't affect rune drops, right? That's why we have so many wf's, tal armors and ik armors, and so few good non-duped runes. Anyone can kill the pit with a 400% mf fb/orb sorc and get godlies in a long enough timespan. But i've almost NEVER seen high level runes naturally drop from monsters.

8. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

What i find kind of baffling is this: Since the season started i have gotten richer and richer yet i find it harder and harder to trade. Now part of this is due to the fact that as i get richer what i want is more expensive, but i definently have noticed a large shift in the dynamics of the DII econ since i started. Initially you could easily do item for item trades very easily, now it is much more difficult.

That said, I have managed to become DECENTLY wealthy in DII without duping, spending all my free time playing, or being a overly shrewd trader.

9. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I have leveled a zon from 73 to 83 exclusively in the Pit. I have found a lot of 3 and 4 socket elite armors, many 5 and 6 socket elite weapons, and quite a few mid level uniques, and an um rune is the highest rune I have found there.

The Pit is very predictable, after you make a dozen runs you get used to the drill. With patience it is very profitable.

With all the trade window scams going on, why bother, unless you know the person you are trading with. I won't even show my gear anymore, and I get asked a lot because, I need charms and gear to equip my bow (strength), so it appears to other players that I am unarmed, heh heh.

To heck with the "economy". It only affects you if you let it.

10. toader

toader Banned

I think you have PvM blinders on.

Most of the people wanting these upper level items use them for PvP purposes. Your characters may be able to beat the game handily with standard items, but they wont fair quite as well in PvP.

11. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I pretty much ONLY do NO mf pit runs now. I've yet to find my eth zerker axe or an eth col. blade. But I find other stuff that trades HUGE! 3 socket eliet armors are the best .. I actually think that it's pretty cool, since the amazing runewords of 1.10, normal, or socketed items are worth as much as high end uniques used to be. and the non mf runs are usually faster since, with the right character, wearing top end killing gear you can kill way faster than with a character wearing nothing but MF.

12. pipermac

pipermac IncGamers Member

There is one main reason that values have gone down and it is not Mf'ing.

The reason is Botting. Many people are PindleBotting. They are doing thousands of pindle runs per day. They want to get rid of their items for runes. Even with the duping Runes are relatively scarce. so now they have to give the items away for less just to get rid of them.

13. toader

toader Banned

I was not aware that pinndle bot had made a prevelant 1.10 appearance? Can anyone else confirm this?

Even if there was, Ill still argue that the prices are up because of duped runes. The best items in the game are runewords now, and there are sure alot of them floating around. When there are alot of the BEST, the items just under the best will suffer (i.e. the best in 1.09 is suffereing)

14. davew2040

I think I offered an IK armor, a Tal's armor, a WF, an Azurewrath, a PnB charm, a GF, two Lightning charms, and a 35% HotO for an Enigma, and was told it wasn't nearly enough. I just kinda stings, knowing that so many people had things like these fall into their arms via mass duping, yet so many legimitately-found items can't hack it.

15. pipermac

PRices up because of duped runes??? does not make any sense. If there are more Runes the prices would be less. If runes were not duped then a BOTD Zerker would be basically non existent which in turn would make it MORE valuable. You will find that Item 4 Item trades still have pretty much the same value they always did. It is only the value in runes that has dropped. and that is because there are so many of the itmes available and people are realizing there are less and less runes available.

And Botting is very prevelant....I know many people who bot.. and I get lots of my items from them. People are multibotting and doing 5-10k runs per day.

16. toader

toader Banned

Let me try and explain it. Prices are "up" because there are so many of the BEST items available, runewords. So many people have these godly items now, that they consider other items to be below them, thus THOSE people are driving the prices up for your standard players.

17. pipermac

Sorry but your Logic makes absolutely no sense at all.

please give an example of how a price is up?
    Tal ARmor used to go for Multiple ists. now it goes for ist or less.....how is the price up??

18. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I'm fairly sure there's an undetectable pindlebot out.

No, I don't run it. Next.

19. davew2040

Yes, once in awhile you'll hear about some jerkoff talking about how he bots all day and all night, as if bragging that he's a member of some elite secret society.

20. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

This is very true, good point. But I figure riding the dupe wave is better then starting the dupe wave, so I try to trade around the best I can.