Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trading confuses me...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Pombe, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Pombe

Pombe IncGamers Member

Trading confuses me...

So last night I finally did my hell forge quest and got a mal rune. I didnt think this was particularily special, I know it can be cubed up to an ist, but this rune really had no value to me at the moment so I decided to trade it. I start up a game called "mal rune here" or something and this pali comes in. I put my rune up in the trade window and he puts up an Um-ed Stormsheild. I'm like wtf, the new economy makes no sense to me, but I know that stormsheilds are pretty much the best sheild in the game. sensing a scam, I got him to move it around a bit, everything seemed kosher so I did the trade. now I've got a nice shiny sheild for my pali when he grows up.

Another friend of mine got a lightsaber for a shael. Is everything but the very very very best avaliable for crap runes? which runes are actually valuable now?

2. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I have no idea of what happened during your trade, but if I got an Um-ed Storm for a Mal, I wouldn't ask me too many questions, and enjoy that beauty.

The worse that could happen to you is to see your shield go pooof! someday (in case it is a duped item). But you only paid a Mal for it, so it is worth taking the risk.

What you cannot do, now, is proposing this shield in a trade without specifying your doubts about its origin. People who trade here are absolutely strict on some rules, the first of them being that the items must be legit.

3. dop_obo

dop_obo IncGamers Member

It was probably a case of the other person having all the godly items in the game already and being generous towards you. It's seems like a pretty good trade to me...you got an item you wanted, and he got a decent rune for something he probably had stashed on a mule gathering dust. :)

4. Satanic Ecstacy

Satanic Ecstacy IncGamers Member

storm is worth about an um rune now on east ladder
    its the best shield right after hoz, but there are so many that its become so cheap
    tals armor has recently dropped dramatically in value due to increased availability, and is worth less than a vex rune now
    so i guess it could be a combination of storm's decreasing value and the guys desperation that led to the trade

5. tl998

tl998 Banned

I dont' have either a Tal's armor or a SS. Where should I mf for them lol? Increased availability? Do the average bnetter really have these things? am I just extra poor?

6. jonnytx

jonnytx IncGamers Member

I think trading is sort of like having unprotected sex. You have no way of knowing what you're going to end up with, and since I'm unwilling to have illegit items on my characters, I don't trade, ever, and I don't take any freebies except low level throwaway stuff that I don't intend to keep.

7. Necrasaro

Necrasaro IncGamers Member

Things are more common now with the new setup to MFIng in hell.

Alot more things can drop these "uber" items so alot more people have them.

8. Valerarren

Valerarren IncGamers Member

I recently traded an ist for an um'd ss and an occulus on west ladder. (I had extra ists, so I didn't need). I'm curious what you guys think about my trade. I don't trade much and have no real idea of the value on thing on ladder (I knew what things were worth in 1.09, but not any more).

9. Dev

Dev IncGamers Member

I have noticed that it is much easier to obtain 'wealth' with 1.10 ladder compared to 1.09 and the main reason is 1) Hell Helforge (4/11 chance to get UM/MAL/IST/GUL), and 2)the fact that runes can be cubed upward (so you can get that BER or JAH that everyone wants). 3) Elite runewords are now King, everyone wants enigma Chains, BOTD, HotO, etc.

Supply and Demand will dictate what items are worth. Since everyone is doing Baal, Pit, etc, vs COWS in 1.09, there is an abundance of extremely rare items. I challenge you to go into a public ball run game and find a Sorc that does NOT have tals armor :scratch:

Anyways, I have seen for the last week or so that Storm Shield can be had for an UM, so an UM'd SS is certainly worth MAL (=2 Um's). Similarly 2 weeks ago, I was proud of myself that I got Tals armor for 2 GUL's (VEX), and now if you bargain hard enough you can get it for an IST (well maybe with an UM) but certainly for 1 GUL. (Think about it, do 11 helforge rushes, and you will most certainly have at least 1 GUL and IST, and then you can trade for almost any item that is not runeword).

The economy makes no sense (maybe if someone has a degree in economy they can help figure this out), but I suspect that people are finding more items than they are finding runes, and along with upward cubing, there are less runes for trade, hence mid runes can land you great items (I for one obtained the entire Griswald's set for 6 UM's as an example, and I frequently see people trading IK armor for IST). Any other thoughts?

10. dop_obo

dop_obo IncGamers Member

I agree...supply is quickly catching up to demand, so items are getting cheaper fast. The upgrading recipes also play a big part in the economy...I got my IK armor for 6 Lem runes awhile back, which only cube up to an Um, but are worth far more by themselves.

11. Dtagon

Dtagon IncGamers Member

Uhh.. "extra ISTs?"

The only people who have extra high level runes are the nice people with mules full from the recent dupe. How is it that you got extras?

12. Arcynic

Arcynic IncGamers Member

Not everyone wants or needs an Isted Occy and a 4 Ist Monarch.

13. Valerarren

Valerarren IncGamers Member

Actually, the countess was nice to my level 70s character. She dropped 3 ists when I was leveling doing countess runs. I got ko + ko from hellforge, so I figure it evens out.

I made one into Delerium, traded that other one, and still have one sitting about collecting dust.