Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TP Controversy.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by tikki, Aug 28, 2010.

1. tikki

tikki IncGamers Member

TP Controversy.

I myself want TP's. I can easily understand why and why not to include them, but there are a few fixes.

My thoughts:
    As soon as ANYONE (not just the creator) goes in and another person comes out (or same person), close the portal.

TP's could have a life. maybe 7-10 minutes. Then Poof.

There could be a cast delay. The delay could be dynamic. Determined by the number of users (like difficulty). something like: # of users * 2. So on averages, 1 portal can be cast every 8 minutes per user in a 4 player game.

No TP's if you are in PK mode.

People can only use their TP in final boss lairs/zones.

---

Many of you are talking about "exploiting" the TP. How many of YOU did abuse it often? (I'll admit I did, but not often)

How many people would organize a gang just to abuse a TP system with a delay (eg. TP rotation throughout the users)? seems like a lot of effort, especially if the TP has "life" and/or dynamic delays.

(should have jotted down my other ideas...)

2. Thrakhath

Thrakhath IncGamers Member

Re: TP Controversy.

Players can already summon others to them, so they are not needed for that. And you're only allowing players to use their own tps on bosses, which makes them very limited.

Personally, if I have to tp inthe middle of a boss fight and return, the victory feels pretty cheap - I'd rather they had a system wheee we couldn't do that. I'll admit that it sucks if you die mid-boss and have to get all the way back, but there must be ways of fixing that that do not give you an escape from the boss.

3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Hasn't this TP topic been overtalked enough? TP's are out, I myself hope that is the final decision from Blizzard.

4. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

I agree is time to just take the change and move on. Yes their were ways to make the system work, but blizzard has spoken and removed them. Im glad they did, it was done for the right reasons it you watch and read about it:thumbup:

For the people that state their kid or RL issues get in the way big whoop if u die, its not the end of the would for u or ur character (a little time/gold loss oh no).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

So, you don't know about Hardcore?

6. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

No what hardcore mode, really...If u need to go leave the game to be safe.

7. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I'm all over Town Portals and I believe them to be one of the Top10 recognizable features of the Diablo franchise, but unfortunately, the chance that they will put them back on the game is practically nil, much to my discontent and disappointment, but well, life goes on, and it's only a game... In the front page there is a quite obliterating statement from Wilson.

[BLUE="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-interview-g4tv/"]Town Portals were a convenient feature to be able to get back to town and manage your inventory. They created several problems, though. For one thing, having to go back to town every time your inventory filled, which happened quite frequently in Diablo 2, was very jarring. All those regular returns breaks up the pace of combat, much more than we want. TPs are also a terrible combat exploit. Essentially you can drop a TP anywhere and get out of any situation without a problem. That really destroys a lot of the work we’re doing to create a game that has a lot more depth to the combat.

There’s all these problems with it, and we tried a lot of ways to fix those problems. We tried putting cool downs on casting Town Portals. We tried one way portals. We tried all kinds of ways. Making town portal scrolls really rare. None of them solved the problem. They just changed the nature of it. So we eventually came to the conclusion that they just had to be removed.[/BLUE]

8. phaolo

phaolo IncGamers Member

After the artisans option and the decision to add more waypoints, the removal of the TP has stopped worrying me.
    The new features will bring some more freshness to the game and will increase the challenge level.

Approved :)

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i have said many times that i wish they just fixed tp's instead of removed them however like most things i will get used to the change and probably pretty fast too. they are the ones playing the game all the time so they must have a pretty good reason if they are gonna remove something like tp's from the game

10. djfriesen

djfriesen IncGamers Member

and just think: no more spamming "tp plz" ingame.

11. Apocalypse

lol there will be plenty more spam in game i am sure

12. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Oh, definitely. Blizzard can justify away TP's abuse all they want, but they still have to have a method to rapidly bring players who just joined to the player in the field and they did mention some sort of teleport function for that exact purpose.

I wonder what will it be called and what will be the new most annoying text message abbreviation?

13. tikki

tikki IncGamers Member

Then don't?
    If you are playing with friends you all could fallow some rules. Better yet, save yourself a 3000 gold and don't buy TP's.
    Yup, but now people can talk about it in one place instead of every topic.
    exactly. leave an iconic + helpful feature and just fix it. don't take the easy way out.
    They say they added a way to quickly tele people to you.

---

Maybe they'll add a TP skill instead? :) I'd be happy with that.

14. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

If it's broke and can't be fixed, do something smarter.

15. Apocalypse

if i could believe it could not be fixed then i would accept that....well i guess i accept it either way just not as the excuse

16. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I actually fully support this decision of Blizz's.

Although some might consider it blasphemous, I don't think that Diablo 2, and the action RPG in general has been explored enough, and Diablo 3 will be an interesting variation (possibly better, at least to me) of the subgenre's gameplay.

In both Diablo and Titan Quest, TPs and health potions did present a design issue - because the player could just exit an unfavourable encounter, the only way for monsters to actually be scary is if they did really frickin high burst damage. Often, it feels like you're only experiencing the two extremes of either breezing past monsters, or you suddenly dying in an instant.

Without a way for the player to just leave a fight in an instant, Blizzard can better scale encounters to be that holy grail of action RPGs - challenging, but not too hard or too easy.

The OP suggested ways to change the TP so that it can stay in the game, but not why it should besides nostalgia's sake. Blizzard already stated that they don't want the TP as a way to get out of combat, so what other uses does that leave? Returning to town to vendor stuff or repair items? Both of those are now things you can do without going back to town.

TP scrolls are so iconic, but I think Blizzard has some great ideas in terms of direction with D3's gameplay. It's hard to find a way to justify keeping TP scrolls when a large part of their design philosophy is to keep players immersed in the wild.

I'm sure that they'll still make special guest appearances though, such as an NPC opening a portal in town to take you somewhere, or a portal back to town upon completion of a quest. :)

17. TheMythe

For instance, Cain opening up a portal upon freeing him after the dungeonboss has been killed in the gameplay video. I bet he won't be the only one.

18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Zoot, the why was answered by the others posting, even if not by the OP.

We need some form of system to be able to go AFK for unknown periods of time. Many even here have kids to deal with, so games must come second often.

Some solutions were given, but long cast times doesn't help the urgency issue of needing to leave. Someone might be able to think of a flawless way to leave, but not allow it to be exploited.

19. TheMythe

I know of one:
    *Works instantly.
    *No exploits possible.
    *Toon safety guaranteed.
    *Requires minimal scripting.

It's called "Alt+F4".

20. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

S&E has already been brought up. With more frequent Waypoints, it might be doable, but constant S&E does get tiring. It breaks the immersion and combat flow much more than TPing to town.