Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Town Storage is back!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jiansonz, Mar 17, 2004.

1. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Town Storage is back!

Yes! Items left in town for more than a few minutes no longer disappear. If you return to town at least every 10 minutes or so, they are still there. This was not the case in the beta.

For a dedicated HC untwinked player, this is very good news. I like to able to save all sorts of items, even though I generally don´t actually use many of them. It´s not always easy to predict what might be useful later.

Just remember to pack before each save. Keep in mind that you can sell your key stack and Town Portal tome (will only cost you a little gold to replace them) and hold an item with the cursor if you are really pressed for space.

Also, really important items should always be kept in stash or inventory. A power failure can strike or the game can crash, etc...

2. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

hehe, anything that isnt really importnt i dont really use, my stash consists of an mf helm, nagel ring, the cube and some runes, everything else goes to atma.

3. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Good post :) Yes, it's back, and I use it all the time.

But... although I can't verify this with code diving, it seems that the length of time the item remains there is a function of its quality. I've had unique and set items remain on the ground for quite a while - yup 10 minutes seems right. But I've had a couple of pretty nice socketed items disappear pretty quickly.

4. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

<hijack>

This is something I have never understood: keeping one's Horadric Cube in one's stash. A character's inventory is already on the small side, so why not carry the cube with you and effectively gain 8 more inventory squares? It's not much, but it helps. Not criticizing, just curious.

</hijack>

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Heh.

jiansonz, you should start up another thing like you had with Mike and Isolide. That was a neat story. Maybe pull out an even more challenging thing... like say... melee necro? *shrug* It was neato.

And yeah, I found the leaving items on the ground very useful sometimes, but not too often. I'm one of those that twink with pride. :uhhuh:

6. jiansonz

I have a simple answer for that: Because I store stuff in the Cube. Especially socketed armors and such I don´t want to accidently socket with something when I move things around.

So my inventory would in fact be four spaces smaller if I carried the cube with me. And even if it was empty, it would be too much of a hassle to sell things. First sell stuff outside the cube, then exit selling screen, open inventory, move stuff out of the cube and then sell those. I´d rather make one more town visit instead.

And since I never repeat areas in D2, the resources are limited. Because of that, I am more greedy than Ebenezer Scrooge. On players 8, I make LOADS of town visits. After a big battle or after opening a Golden Chest of Joy, I often make 3-5 town visits before those items are sold (having an inventory half-full of charms doesn´t help either...).

So fiddling with the cube each of those times is not an option.

7. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Plus, the mechanics of the Cube don't work well for item hunting...you can't click on an item and have it pop into your Cube...you have to open up your inventory, put it in there manually, which is a time-waster in my mind. I'm a Cube-Stash man myself.

8. spiral55

Okay, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks. :)

9. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

I also keep the cube in inventory...if you open it while in the game, you lose your view of the whole screen. And I don't mind TPing back to town if I fill up...I miss Deckard Cain's insightful remarks if I'm away too long. :lol:

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

never use this town storage, im a happy twinker, and im proud of it :teeth:

only for my HC it might be usefull... HC=untwinked for me SC=twinked to the ears :thumbsup:

11. spiral55

:lol: Another good point. I guess since I'm rather item-poor, I'm used to carrying around so many charms to compensate that I need all the space I can in inventory, not in the stash. :)

Okay, seriously, I'll stop posting in this thread for a while.

12. jiansonz

My little alphabet sorcie lady is doing very well in that tourney. She´s great fun to play so I´ll stick with her for a while. Maybe mix in a little Set and Unique Worshipping barbarian playing too, but he´s sooo slow at killing things and I get tired when I play him, since he is in the thick of things all the time. But it´s a bit embarrasing to be more than a whole difficulty behind the lead in my "own" tournament.

Melee necro sounds interesting. I actually have one planned and started him up in 1.09. I don´t know if or when I´ll pick him up. Do you have any suggestions for what restrictions I should use for such a character?

I will be more inclined to play crazy variants now that I can store items on the ground. :D

13. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

agree, would love to read something like that again :)

14. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

man, we have some lazy people here

it takes what? 1.5 to 2 seconds to hit "b", click on an item and click it over the cube?
    even the selling is quick. sell what you need in you inventory, then open the cube, click some items and put them in your inv and sell again. takes maybe 3 seconds to do.

uh-oh!

sorry ;) i just find it so funny that people can be so lazy with a video game sometimes, claiming it takes too long to put something in the cube, or take something out. if you want a waste of time - how about running through the great marsh for 15 minutes trying to find your way out to get to the flayer jungle, or whatever is the connecting area, now that's a waste of time - maybe

15. jiansonz

I just don´t get the fun with fiddling with the cube more than I have to. I don´t see any use to have it with me, other than if I would play some sort of "Iron Man" variant that would never visit town.

I get enough of moving-stuff-in-and-out-of-the-cube action whenever I use it, which happens often (I cube all magical rings and amulet into other rings and amulets, and I often use full rejuves and need to cube up regular rejuves to replace them).

And don´t bad mouth Great Marsh. That´s one of my favourite areas. :)

16. Hergrom

Hergrom IncGamers Member

Things I have noticed about ground storage:

1. Items for me only disappear if I stay in town too long.
    2. I have never had unique or set items disappear.
    3. hitting 'escape' key stops the timer.
    4. The exception to #1 above is rejuv potions, which vanish quickly.
    5. changing acts appears to set a timer in the "old" act town, so take items with you.

These are not 100% verified, and are just my observations.