Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tourney Idea, Feedback please.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Horobi, May 4, 2005.

1. Horobi

Horobi IncGamers Member

Tourney Idea, Feedback please.

I had the idea for this tourney while considering my build for the ME-Tourney, and now I'm considering of hosting it. But because there are quite some tourneys running at the moment it won't start anytime soon (I'll let 'Rare pleasure' end first). And before the tourney starts I'd like your input on the idea, your opinion on the rules and any other comment you'd like to give. The tourney will only take place if enough people are interested in joining. The probable starting date on this moment is June-1st, this would also give people enough tme to consider their build, but it really depends on the amount of people who want to join, and their timetable. The tourney will probably be a long lasting one (no end-date set).

Theme-based Tourney:

Rules
    -HC only
    -Trading is allowed with other tourney chars
    -All quests and Waypoints mus be done ( Imbue-ing, personolize-ing and socketing can wait)
    -All skills are allowed
    -Any players setting is allowed
    -No 'Save & Exit Game' to escape death
    -Untwinked, ATMA is allowed for muling of and muling on of 'muled of' items
    -All areas can be rerun until the end of time
    -Act bosses can only be killed 3 times
    -When your character dies I'd like the character's ATMA stash (if he/she has one) send to me to become a part of the prize stash (no items from the dead character)
    -After sending in the prize stash you may start another character (can be the same build as the previous)
    -Deadline wil be set if there are no updates for 5 weeks
    -Player with the highest score at the Deadline wins the Tourney
    -Prize distruburion will depent on the size of the prize stash

Scoring system:
    - 1 point for each WP (Normal)
    - 1 point for each quest (Normal)
    - 2 points for each WP (Nightmare)
    - 2 points for each quest (Nightmare)
    - 3 points for each WP (Hell)
    - 3 points for each quest (Hell)
    - 5 points for becoming Destroyer
    - 10 points for becoming Conquerer
    - 15 points for becoming Guardian

Characters:
    This is the special part of the tourney. The idea is that the character you make is based on a theme. It doesn't really matter what theme, use whatever theme you like (a book, a movie, a TV-serie, another computergame, mythology, etcetera, etcetera ). For instance a Necro using a scythe weapon and Fire Golem as "The Grim Reaper" (Necro) and the Devil (FireGolem). What kind of build you make is your choise, but please have a little imagination and don't use a Meteorb with the name of Merlin (If you want to, I won't stop you but I'd like to see what kind of creations you can come up with). In order to promote the use of your imagination there will be points awarded for more fantasyfull builds. This can go up to a 50 point maximum (Max. of 25 for fantasy, Max.of 25 for difficulty). Points will be distributed by me and two other jurors (That is, if there are people willing to do that job). Credits for the Juroring idea go to Hrus (used in his MET).

If you are interested in joining I'd like to know the following thing of your character:
    -Name
    -Theme the character is build around
    -Skill point distrubution
    Some questions from my side:
    ? Would the challange of a challanging build be enough or should I add another challange, and if so what?
    ? Scoring system, is it fair / would it work ?
    ? Would you be interested in joining/Do you like the idea?
    ? Should I give some more example builds?

Any feedback given would be usefull. Thanks in advance.

~Horobi :jig:

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Depending on how long we have to complete our chars I'll join this. (I have little spare time right now and can't play very fast...) It's not as restrictive as the other tourneys which is to my liking. I'll even tolerate the FE bug for once. o_O

Oh yeah, if you allow running you might want to allow running act bosses as well. Just so people with less than 2 hours gaming time a day have the chance to get some good items, too.

I'll think of a char later on. :)

Btw, while I like the "will last long" approach, I think you need to set the dead line a little sooner than "no updates for 5 weeks", otherwise this might never end. Maybe allow each player just one char each and he has to progress about X acts/waypoints per time or something.

3. Horobi

Horobi IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback Nightfish, I'll think over it. I think you are right about the setting of the deadline. But how I'm going to solve it, I'm not sure about that yet.

And as for the point of rerunning Act bosses, I don't really see a problem with it. But I'll wait for comment of others before making a desicion about that though.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Another option to limit an infinite tournament is to set a deadline for new entries and restarts. That way you get to a point where you have a finite number of players that will eventually be "finished," either by beating the game, dying, or being inactive. That is what I did with the AQT tourney and I think it is working pretty well. I would also go with a 1-month deadline for updating; it will be a lot easier to keep track of and is still a pretty generous amount of time.

Theme builds are a fun idea, but you might want something more for a tourney. I'm coming up blank for ideas right now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of more creative scoring not more restrictions. Something along the lines of bonus points for doing certain things in game.

Okay, I just thought of an idea. Sort of a bounty hunter thing. Start off with the infamous Black Hack, and then more can be added as tourney characters get killed. If someone is killed by a named monster who isn't a superunique, it could be added to the list. To make it different from some of the other bounty hunter tourneys, you could give points to everyone who finds them, not just the first person. They could even get more points for monster's with the same monster type and stats. Something like 1 point for the name, 1 point for the monster type, and 1 point for each matching mod. (I'm just throwing this out there, feel free to ignore it completely.)

I think all updates should be required to be in story format to go along with the theme of the build. It will make the thread more fun to read. (People wouldn't have to be elaborate, just give the update from the point of view of the character.)

I'm not sure that I want to start another character where I lose all of the items they find to a prize stash, though. I am going strictly self-found with my HC items, so I don't have any real interest in winning a prize stash. (I would just give away and items that weren't found by my character.) Perhaps you could have the participants just donate 2-3 of the best items they find to the prize stash. If enough people participate, you will still have a pretty good prize stash at the end. (And my experience has been that a lot of people will donate more items anyhow.) This last suggestion comes with the disclaimer that it is something that I personally would like. I have no idea how other people would feel about it, so if everyone else wants a full donation prize stash I'm not going to complain about it. :)

5. Reid Fleming

Reid Fleming IncGamers Member

I'm in, but I might not last long:

I am still working on my rules suggestions, but for now.

Character name: Rocky Balboa.
    Character class: Barbarian

Just like in the movies I will fight with my fists, (Bash), & if you really get me mad I will go berserk.(Berserk)

Also mirroring the movies will be the amazing number of times Rocky gets hit. This is due to him only wearing gloves, boots, his wedding ring & his cross(Amulet) into the ring. (I know they don't wear jewelry into the ring, but I need some protection.)

Frequent cries of "Yo Adrian, & "Noooooooo",(Any warcry that can help this build), will be used to pump myself up & help break through my opponents defenses.

Much thanks to anyone who can help me rationalize casting Adrian as a cold rouge. (Using her icy stare to freeze Rocky's opponents in their tracks?)

--Reid

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Seems like fun, although some builds will be very powerful, wheras others will suck. you'll have to get a more definite rating system for each build. (think of some examples of difficulty and list how many points they would get.

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Another tourney coming huh?
    I like the idea, maybe I will join if I will came with some cool idea for a character. My MET character Druss is already theme based you know? (He is based upon the David Gemmel's novels. Druss was a legendary hero known as very strong person and deadly in war with his Snaga - 2 handed axe)

As FB said, the character as Rocky Balboa will probably not be hell viable, and your scoring system prefers hell viable characters, so if he gets full 50 points bonus, it will be probably not enough...

About time format, I really like Cattleya's AQT2 format.

8. Amidala

Amidala IncGamers Member

nothing with the tournament, but...
    Horobi wont know it probably but i just finished the book last weekend ;)

9. Horobi

Horobi IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. We'll get an "honest for everyone" Tourney in the end. I've made a list of problems that I currently have got to solve:

*Timetable: It might last too long
    *Challange: Might need an extra challange to make it a "real" tourney
    *Prize stash: whole ATMA stash of the chara or something else? (E.G. Top 3 items)
    *Running act bosses: Unless anyone doesn't approve, it's allowed and thus solved
    *Scoring system: Hell viable character have a huge advantage. (I like FB's idea for this one)

If anyone has any suggestions about everything mentioned above, please share them. And I'm still open for all other comment you'd like to make......

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

[hijack]Which one?[/hijack]
    [hijack2]I really like your avatar. Where is it from? I feel I have seen it before...[/hijack2]

11. Amidala

Amidala IncGamers Member

the 1 about Druss ofcourse :p where his village gets robbed, and his wife gets kidnapped he goes after her ;)

avatarity.com. ;) its from star wars :p

12. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

perhaps, in order to limit the ultrapowerful builds, once a player chooses a theme and some basics, a judge can create limitations in line with the theme that will keep the character from getting too strong

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Druss is a hero of 4 or 5 of Gemmel's novels. "The First Chronicles of Druss The Legend" is classic one...
    Star Wars - hmmm I don't like the new episodes, especially episode 2. But Tar is cool.

I personally would like to play with my own limitations, not with the limitations that others create...

14. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Well, this isn't too terrible of an idea. Some people have been toying around with "theme" builds since the dawn of D2, but never quite got around to building one.

I agree though, there must be SOME guidelines. Otherwise, someone is bound to make "The Carpenter" who fights evil with his Magic Throwing Hammers, and that's just cheeze.

[EDIT] I hope we're all honest enough to not make a typical build, as that's not the intention of the tourney. I don't think we'd need written laws, per se, just an agreement to not take advantage of the rules and build a Cheezadin.

-GG

15. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

*Already has a hammerdin in hell called "Bob_the_Builder"* :rolleyes:

16. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Time: no updates (saying you're playing or can't at the moment) for 4 weeks. (1 month)
    Challenge, make the "style" points count for more, and go neg if you vary too much from said char. (-10 wrong weapon, -5 wrong armor, + for good screenies, etc.)
    @ those dissing a barb w/ fists: An Iron Barb can last a long time, esp if he has a rouge (freezing people with his glares and exploding at odd times if you can find the right bows)
    For the stashes might I suggest soemthing I wish I had thought up for my no repair touney: donate what you want w/ limits (no white's except runes above x, good blue & yellow only, no more than 1 of any set or unique), set the point system to equal 100 (or any easy to = pecentage), and mulitply the # of items sent by the pecentage of points gained. Then the "winner" gets first pick and so on down the line, with bonus items for special awards like bess dressed, or most in char.
    ie. Rocky gets "goin' the distance" award +2 items for making it to hell but being KO'ed by the Ancients. He sent a stash of 10 items and got 70 points (and 10th place over all, no + to items) so he gets a base of 7 (10 * 70%) +2 for the award for a total of 9 items. He gets the stash after 9th place but before 11th. Had he placed higher he may have gotten more than he put in (rune combining will lower the total number too).

17. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Hm.. nice idea :)

you could restrict the theme based builds or set guidelines that people could follow, like you give a couple of examples from films or books.. however your free approach is good enough.

the time issue can be solved quite easily, you can set a minimum amount of time (like 2 months) where people can play freely, but after that time the tourny ends as soon as someone reaches guardian or as soon as you have set a time. This way people are ensured of at least two months playing time.

if there is enough interest and I've got time I might enter :) I still got a trouny stored on my pc.. maybe I'll get to it one day :p

18. corax

corax IncGamers Member

IMO the best way to stop the cheese builds is too have a rating system from say 50(practically impossible) to -50(guardian??? i was sleeping).

it's interesting and i'd like to join.

Springer from the transformers is my inspiration.

Char Name: Springer
    Build: Leap barb with warcries. uses a 2 handed sword.

Springer has extremely powerful legs and can leap along way (leap attack n leap).
    He takes command once ultra magnus dies in the movies (war cries).
    His rotor blades transform into a sword in robot mode, so he will use a sword.
    wherever possible he will where green armour and use a white sword.

19. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Well, I think the best way to stop the cheese builds from winning everything is to pull up that build difficulty thread from a few weeks back (tried searching, couldn't find it) and put level caps for the cheesiest builds to at Nightmare and Hell.

I don't want to limit anyone getting to 30 to unlock their main attacks, but something reasonable for the uber builds - 65 to finish nightmare and maybe 75 to finish hell. If they overlevel to lose points per level over the cap.

I just pulled those numbers out of my arse, but it might be worse taking into consideration.

20. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Another transformers fan!

Nice to see another Transformers fan! (Though I haven't seen any of the newer stuff, just the classic 80's stuff). ;)