Tournament: The emperor's clothes

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Tournament: The emperor's clothes

The emperor's clothes

We only dress in the best! No random drops will do, we want those... unique drops. The kind of equipment that the superunique monsters drop that is.

idea
I was kind of interested in the idea that Thyiad pitched a while ago. An 'easy' tourney, a tournament less experienced players (or less skilled players, take your pick) can enter and have a good chance of doing good in.

Laydown
Each act has a number of superunique monsters. The equipment dropped by these monsters may be worn and/or used. ONLY the equipment dropped by these monsters may be equipped. This includes Act Bosses.

The entire list of superunique monsters can be found here.
Note that the Cow King also counts as a superunique monster, even though it's not listed here.

Equipment = Anything that fills a weapon or armor slot.
Anything else may be picked up and used freely from every monster. This includes runes, gems, scrolls, keys, potions and anything else I missed.

placeholders
Until you find an item dropped by a superunique monster for a slot, you may use a white item. only white. Not ethereal, or socketed. The moment a superunique monster drops an item you can use for that slot, the white item must go. Note that this also covers starting equipment.

Quests
All quest rewards must be claimed in their respective difficulty(Normal, Nightmare or Hell) or be forfeited.

Several quests give item rewards. These are treated as follows:
- Rescue Cain - The ring may be used as a placeholder, if you haven't found two rings from the monsters yet.
- Horadric Malus - You may use the reward freely, BUT : You may only imbue a class specific item of your own class. This item may then be treated as a superunique drop.
- Horadric Staff and Khalim's Flail If you so desire, feel free to use these as weapons, just remember that they are gone at the end of their respective acts!
- The Gidbinn - You may use the ring as a placeholder if you haven't got two ring drops yet (unlikely!)
- Shenk the Overseer - The item socketed by Larzuk retains the status it had, BUT see below.
- Rescue Anya - The item Anya presents you with can be used freely if so desired
- Kill Nihlatak - You may personalize ANY item and then equip it freely.
Use it wisely!

Some things to point out
-Should you have trouble identifying the drop from a superunique on the ground, because several other monsters also dropped items, you cannot use these drops. Take care to kill the superunique in a place where this won't be an issue

- Socket Fillers dropped by superunique monsters are treated the same way as socket fillers dropped by normal monsters. They may be used for cube recipes, but if you insert them in an item, that item can only be equipped if it was a drop from a superunique in the first place, or you personalize it as the reward from the Nihlatak quest in Act V.
- Several superunique monsters can drop white items. Don't discard these! They may be freely used in crafting recipes, or in socketing recipes and still retain their status.
- Wirts leg may also be used as a weapon, if so desired. It certainly qualifies as a unique drop, allthough you have to be some sadistic person to use the artificial leg of a deceased crippled boy as a weapon...
- ATMA/Gomule may be used, in fact, it is highly recommended.
- RWM/RRM and versions 1.10 - 1.12a are all allowed.
- Hardcore or Firmcore only, Single pass. No chest popping at p8 cheese.
- As always, summoners are too item independant and give an unfair advantage. As such, the following skills are ruled out:
Amazon - Valkyrie. Decoy is allowed.
Assassin - Shadow Warrior, Shadow Master.
Necromancers - Summon Skeleton, Summon Skeleton Mage, Revives and Skeleton mastery. Note that the Golems may be used.
Druid - Summon Raven, Summon Spirit Wolves, Summon Dire Wolves, Summon Grizzly.
- All mercenary types are allowed. Mercenary equipment follows the same restrictions as yours.

- Necromancers wanting to use Iron Golem may use any piece of equipment dropped, not just the superunique drops.
- Equipment dropping from normal monsters may be sold freely of course, or stored for future use.

Gambling
In order to keep this open and somewhat useful, I'm willing to consider the following optional rule :

- You may use any unique/set item you gamble.

It's against the spirit of the tournament though. Another option of course is to siphon excess money off to Atma/GoMule.

Scoring
- -1 per level.
- +1 per Waypoint
- +2 per quest solved
- +5 per Act complete in Normal, +10 in Nightmare, +20 in Hell.
- +10 For completing Normal difficulty, +25 For Completing Nightmare Difficulty, +50 for guardian. Note that the moo moo farm secret level is not required for this bonus score. Also note that clearing the moomoo farm will not grant any points (but you can equip the Cow King drop)

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
Interesting idea.

If I understand correctly anything that the superuniques drop is usable. What happens if a super unique drops a socketed item and normal monsters drop runes. Can you use this combo to make a runeword or must the runes also drop from a superunique?

A table for sign-ups would be nice :whistling:

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: The emperor's clothes

Well a runeword would be out of the question because super uniques, as well as uniques, only drop magical items. So they could have a prefix that gives the item a socket and then your question would be applicable. Can you use socketables from normal monsters?

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]Forum Name      Char. Name     Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find[/b]
Ok, for one, remember the personalize quest! You can use that to make any item you find eligible for use.
Second, there ARE a few superuniques who can drop white items as well (Griswold, Blood Raven, the Smith for example)

Yes, gems and runes etc. From normal monsters may be freely used.

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds fun. I may join if it runs for a long time.

yugular

Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like a tournament to try out as a first tournament&HC game.

I will sign-up when I can create HC character. I have just re-installed the game and my only char is in A2 normal, if I remember correctly I have to beat the normal level before creating HC is possible? I think it will take me a week or so to complete normal difficulty as I don't have much spare time.

So if I understand the challenge correctly it is not wise to clear maps from monsters? As each level you get lowers your score.

There are 13 superuniques in ACT1 so to get decent equipment for me and my merc isn't gonna be too easy? I mean only 13 drops that are allowed to wear. I wonder if I can even make it through A1.

Hints&Tips are welcome. I would also like to know if anyone has suggestions about capable character builds. I was thinking about barb/pal to begin. Hopefully someone else will also try this out.

edit: I am thinking not to use gambling at all! Like Merlin said. It doesn't fit in the idea.

Thanks for Merlin!
yugular

Fast Eddie

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]
Forum Name      Char. Name     Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find[/b]
Fast Eddie	oneeightseven   1	Rogue Enc.	0	    N/A
I will sign up for this, my first tournament. I will be 1.12 RWM/RRM SC only because I still have very few items, and would hate to lose some of them at this stage. But this tournament should give me a break from levelling these inane sorceresses, and it looks very fun!

grumpyskeeper

Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds a very interesting tourny. I need more time to read and understand everything but surely will join. Not right now though. I'll just finish up some stuffs for press release and August issue write ups then I'll sign up.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@yugular - Welcome! You beat me to my invitation at least. Let's see if I can address your questions and remarks.

First off, you may also start a SC character and use him/her. This is called FirmCore and is mentioned under the rules. It means: Once you die, you must stop the tournament.
However, you can of course still use the character, since a death in softcore has no immediate repercussions (apart from money/xp loss). Of course, you may also try this hardcore.
So if I understand the challenge correctly it is not wise to clear maps from monsters? As each level you get lowers your score.
The -1 point per level means that the person who can finish the game at the lowest lvl wins. Of course, the lower your level, the more difficult it is to do so. In general, it's best to do some solid levelling with your character, especially if you are not all that used to the game yet.
In order to facilitate this, feel free to use the /playersX command, where X stands for a number between 1 and 8. Do so by entering the command in a messagebox.
At players8, the monsters are tougher, but they also drop more items, give you more experience and chests drop a whole lot more as well.

There are 13 superuniques in ACT1 so to get decent equipment for me and my merc isn't gonna be too easy? I mean only 13 drops that are allowed to wear. I wonder if I can even make it through A1.
Remember that you may also use any white item you find. Also remember that superunique monsters always have 2 item drops, a lot of which are rare as well.
Further more, if you take a bit of care, Act 1 is quite doable, even with only white items.
Remember that a mercenary is allowed and you may also give her a plain white bow (or a bow dropped by a superunique monster) this will also be a significant source of damage (often enough to clean out the entire act, apart from Andariel).

Hints&Tips are welcome. I would also like to know if anyone has suggestions about capable character builds. I was thinking about barb/pal to begin. Hopefully someone else will also try this out.
Well, I find that difficult to answer. A lot depends on your playstyle I'd say. By your suggestions, I take it you like bashing monsters over the head with melee weapons. Immensely satisfying, but certainly not the easiest path to take.
A character that always does well, provided you can get her past the first few acts, is the sorceress, either a meteorber, a pure blizzard one, or a blizzballer (There are character guides in the stickies which explain all these builds, you can also go to the sorceress forum for more information). A character that will do well from the getgo is the fishyzon (this is a hybrid between a bowazon and a javazon, where your main attack is going to be Lightning Fury with the javelins, and the bow will shoot freeze arrows). You can also fully concentrate on the Javelin and spear class, and opt to put points in charged strike and equip a spear class weapon as your alternate weapon.
The beauty of the lightning fury is that it matters little what type of javelin you use, most of the damage comes from the skill.

For a meleebuild, you can also try the assassin. Her martial arts skills are quite powerful, and quite entertaining as well. Also, phoenix strike and Tiger Strike are not bound to assassin weapons as well, so you'll be pretty much item independend as far as the weapons go.
The barbarian has a few options as well. The most common ones are a berzerker and a Frenzier. There are guides for those builds in the stickies. whirlwind may look nice, but requires good gear to truly shine, and that might be problematic in this tournament. Of course, Warcries are a tournament character's best friend (Battle orders is absolutely awesome!)

The paladin is probably your safest choice for a melee build though.

For all of them... Try to read up on some builds. Look at the suggestins for the skills and weapons to use, and some of the better tactics.

You can still gamble. Especially if you want some good items for twinking purposes, this tournament might help. Gamble and store decent items in ATMA of GoMule. You may of course store the money in ATMA if you so desire...

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@Fast Eddie - what kind of character do you use? I see I missed an important column :p

Code:
[b]Forum Name  Char. Name    Char. type   Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find[/b]
Fast Eddie  oneeightseven              1	Rogue Enc.	0	    N/A
SC is fine, see my previous post. However, once you die, you are out of the tourney. Allthough you may of course start a new character if you want to :smile:

@grumpyskeeper - Hope to see you soo then!

Fast Eddie

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]
Forum Name  Char. Name     Char. type   Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find     [/b]
Fast Eddie  oneeightseven  Cheesedin     1	Rogue Enc.	 0	    N/A
I thought you did miss one, but I didn't want to say anything as it was your tourney and my first entry! I think I'm more looking forward to the write-up than actually playing it... Is that weird?

I hope the table's OK, I'm not sure if it's possible to lengthen it so people don't have to scroll.

No probs about the SC death rule, I'm kinda hoping to use the tourney to kickstart my HDin as everyone should have one (or not).

Thanks again Merlin, and I hope more people sign up!

@grumpyskeeper - Hope to see you soon too!

yugular

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]
Forum Name  Char. Name     Char. type   Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find     [/b]
yugular     Zealar         Paladin       5      Rogue Enc.      -5         Gloves +1Str
Allright. Im in. I play 1.12 FC. Not sure how I will build my Paladin. Heading for first uniqueboss-->
edit. Done! Corpsefire droppes blue gloves +1str and sash fire resist +5%. I just ran straight to den with /p8 and killed corpsefire and headed back to rogue enc.

Im not yet familiar with linking screenshots etc. Also how we are supposed to report our findings and Best Find etc?
edit2: screenshots
corpsefire:http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n474/yugular/diablo/corpsefire.jpg
loot:http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n474/yugular/diablo/corpsefire_loot.jpg

Last edited:

yugular

Diabloii.Net Member

Shame on me! I totally screwed:crazyeyes:. I wasn't thinking clearly. I killed Corpsefire but didn't kill all monsters from the den. So doing the quest would fail single pass rule. Well luckily I haven't played further. I just start over if it's okay? Sorry for inconviniece.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

No problem Yugular!

Best Find = what you think is your best find so far. You can leave it blank if you want, it's just a bit of information I find amusing. It doesn't have to be a superunique drop either. Just whatever you want it to be.

It's not necessary to share your finds with us, allthough you are free to do so. If you want to, you can always make a little write-up and tell us about them.
You linked the screenshots fine, but you can change the link text. Just quote a post with a link, you'll see how it's done.

One more thing. If you make a mistake, you can rectify it. I won't require a restart for something like this! Just kill everything, and leave all the drops there. As soon as you kill the last monster get the free skill point and move on to the cold plains. No harm done! Just make sure not to equip the items Corpsefire drops second time around, no matter if they are better then your previous drop.

@Fast eddie - I dont have a cheesydin! :grin: But I'm an oddball as well, so that doesn't really count :p

yugular

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]
yugular     Zealar         Paladin       6      Cold Plains      -4         Gloves +1Str
Ok. I did the quest (/p1), didn't loot any drop and after that ran straight to Cold Plains wp -> S&E. So that should be ok then.

wp's activated 2: 2pts (roque encampent counts for 1 point?)
quests done 1: 2pts
Total: -4pts

Hope thats correct. Now the journey can begin :)

yugular

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[b]
yugular     Zealar         Paladin       8      Cold Plains      -2         Buckler of blocking
After activating Cold Plains wp. I ran until I found Bishibosh. Drops from Bishi were Jewel (requirements -15%) and short sword (+1 to min dmg)

Right. Then running to Burial Grounds. Killing Blood Raven took so long... Drops: skull cap (AR+15 +1LightRadius def:15) and small shield ( chance to block 35%, def:12). That rare dagger in screenshot was a lot better than my sword :( After that I changed the merc to cold one and cleaned crypt+mausoleum.

Bonebreaker drops: Buckler ( chance to block 40%, 15% faster block rate def:5) and throwing knives (garbage).

So I am missing Armor and Boots +merc equipment. Next step is to seek next wp (stony fields if I remember correctly) but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

wp's activated 2: 2pts (roque encampent counts for 1 point?)
quests done 2: 4pts
Total: -2pts

Fast Eddie

Diabloii.Net Member

First off can I announce that I changed my char as I forgot my already created L1 char 'oneeightseven' was rushed to A5 sometime last week. Please meet his Cheesydin friend Quetzacoatl, named after the flying serpent God of the Aztecs.

I started off with a different strategy to my tournament compadre. I went for the full P8 Cheesydin experience. I've never got a HDin to Hell properly so that's why I chose to do it untwinked in this tourney. I've only got to Corpsefire and I'm already having so much fun! I finished the Den on L5, and Corpsefire's drop was a +5 poison damage GC[b/] and +5% CR leather armour. All my other slots are white except for gloves which are empty, and I have no bling-bling as yet. Other noteworthy drops include a +9 AR GC and a 1-2 fire damage/+5% LR SC, and a low quality mace with +1 to Might. This makes my score -2 and puts me in joint first!

CLvl = -5
WPs = +1
Quests = +2

Code:
[b]
Forum Name  Char. Name     Char. Type   Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find     [/b]

yugular     Zealar         Paladin       8      Cold Plains      -2       Buckler of Blocking
Fast Eddie  Quetzacoatl    Cheesedin     5	Rogue Enc.	 -2	  +1 Might Mace

Fast Eddie

Diabloii.Net Member

A question for you Merlin. Blood Raven just dropped a blue Spear and a blue Bow. Am I right in thinking that the merc gets the Bow and I forfeit my Mace and my Buckler as I am forced to equip the Spear?

Also, if after this scenario, an SU drops a shield, can I equip that and use a white weapon, or vice versa? Or after having a SU-Spear would I have to find an SU-weapon and an SU-shield and only then equip them both?

Thanks for your time, and I'm enjoying the tourney like I said.

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

My amazon, an as yet innocent girl named Godiva, has killed five superuniques and filled her weapon, armor, belt, shield, boot and amulet slots with magic items. I'm doing full clears on p8, not knowing how long she'll have to kill everything with her 1-6 damage magic club..

WPs = +1
Quests = +4

Code:
[b]
Forum Name  Char. Name     Char. Type   Lvl      Waypoint      Score      Best Find     [/b]

yugular     Zealar         Paladin       8      Cold Plains      -2        Buckler of Blocking
Fast Eddie  Quetzacoatl    Cheesedin     5	Rogue Enc.	 -2 	   +1 Might Mace
FatFree     Godiva         Amazon        12    Cold Plains       -7        Buckler of Blocking

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@Fast Eddie - Good question. The answer in your case is yes, you should.
Lets see, the rules require you to equip a superunique drop if you only have a placeholder in that equipment slot. Now, in your situation, the best solution is to equip your rogue with the bow and use the spear yourself.

However, you may also opt to use the bow for yourself, and keep the rogue weaponless. Since there IS a weapon dropped by a superunique she can use, it's required that she either use that or nothing at all. So you could go with the nothing at all :p

Anyways, a spear is not a bad weapon. Good reach, decent damage for now.

As for your follow up question, if a shield drops, and you have both weapon slots filled with twohanded weapons, then you may swap one out and use a white one handed weapon with the shield.

Good job so far guys! Keep dropping them superuniques!