Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

No more IM has the added bonus that the OK's still cast it, but it doesn't work, and you get to go curse free until they wisen up and decrep you. Same deal with LR, you still get the curse over your head, but it doesn't do anything.

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

considering using a Pike for a while. They are generally far too slow to Impale with (if you have no IAS, it´s a 52-frame attack! Geez...).
Thats absurd! That like 2.5 seconds per attack!

it takes 78% IAS just to cut that in half, so not sure if it will ever be worth it.
but 20% does make it go down to 38fpa, which is a lot, but probably not usable IMO. It would be funny to see her try to use that while fighting duriel or decreped! Wow! can you imagine going 5+ seconds on a single strike!

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Thats absurd! That like 2.5 seconds per attack!

it takes 78% IAS just to cut that in half, so not sure if it will ever be worth it.
but 20% does make it go down to 38fpa, which is a lot, but probably not usable IMO. It would be funny to see her try to use that while fighting duriel or decreped! Wow! can you imagine going 5+ seconds on a single strike!
I have studied the numbers a bit more. The current setup has 30% IAS with my Maiden Spear (WSM=0) which gives a 27 frame attack. I am very comfortable with that speed.

My planned end-game weapon types also have WSM=0. Looks like 20% IAS gloves is pretty much mandatory, and every socket probably needs IAS too. I´ll be sure to save those ilvl 39-40 jewels (and a few higher ilvls) for rerolling with perfect diamonds, topazes and skulls.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

(Sidenote: I think that the Chaos Sanctuary has lost most of its feel of dread now that Iron Maiden is gone. Sorry, I don´t like it. Not one bit. Even when I play this kind of character, that really benefits from its removal.
It´s just a lot more dull (you could almost say 'dumbed down') now. I liked that change of pace where you really had to think about what you were doing here.)
I agree completely, and that's why one of the big reasons I'm still in 1.12.

I commend not only your patience with Impale but also your ability to endure its sound. I started an Impalazon a while ago but I just couldn't stand hearing that ugly grunting-ish noise.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

I commend not only your patience with Impale but also your ability to endure its sound. I started an Impalazon a while ago but I just couldn't stand hearing that ugly grunting-ish noise.
:grin: :grin:

To quote Flux: "...like a branded yak"

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

Some incremental progress through A3 but nothing too exciting except a rather nasty stairtrap in the Ruined Temple- cold enchanted boss next to a Holy Freeze aura enchanted boss with some swarmers made me think: "This is Normal? I should be being more careful!" but I didn't pay for my carelessness (yet!)

Score: 13 quests * 2 + 24 WP - 29 levels for a total of 21 points.

Active :
Code:
Forum Name       Character     Class      Act       Level   Points      Crafting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vague            Armsman       Barb       5 norm      33       54           1
ancalagon        BurnWithMe    Assassin   1 NM        48       58           3 
kestegs          Intangerine   Barb       4 Norm      26       37           0
Purplelocust     Altjira       Paladin    3 Norm      29       21           0
Kretschmer       Furby         Druid      2 Norm      20        2           0
nemty            Craftsman     Necro      2 Norm      22        1           0
HappeningKT      Kaioken       Paladin    1 Norm       1        0           0
Raver            Frenzy        Barb       1 Norm      16       -3           0
Tavaritz         The_HandyMan  Barb       1 Norm      15       -5           0
Deeds :
Code:
Forum Name       Character     Class      Act       Level   Points      Crafting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ancalagon        Dernhelm      Assassin   3 Norm       22      ??           0

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

Things are going pretty well into A5 and Altjira is at the Ancient's Way WP. His gem drops so far are making him a little worried as his forge was almost all diamonds and the tally at the moment in PGems equivalent totals are:

Diamonds: about 2.1 PGems from 30 total
Emeralds: about 0.7 PGems from 17 total
Rubys: about 0.7 Pgems from 29 total
Topazes: about 1.1 PGem from 25 total
Amethysts: about .6 Pgems from 27 total
Sapphires: about 1 PGem from 30 total

That is collecting every gem that dropped of every kind. I haven't cubed them all up yet, but I won't have many craft possibilities with these. I'm planning to run cows a fair amount to hopefully get some crafting supplies but for now I'm long on topazes and diamonds, exactly the two kinds that I can't use for crafting anything!

Gear is pretty much stuff that fell from running Andarial at the moment, with a few upgrades from gambling when I maxed out gold and a few finds along the way. But that will all be moot if I move beyond A1 NM unless I find some more crafting ingredients!

Current Score: 21 quests * 2 + 37 WP - 41 levels for a total of 38 points.

Active :
Code:
Purplelocust     Altjira       Paladin    5 Norm      41       38           0
Deeds :
Code:

Haerviu

Diabloii.Net Member

I've decided to come back and join this tourney. I'll be playing Klondike, the Kodiak. I'll make an update when I've made some progress.

Quick question: How many of you are making gem shrine runs in Blood Moore?

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

I'm not, seems like bad use of time IMO. Gem shrines have such a low appearance rate, like at least 1/100, and flawless drop frequently in act 1 NM.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm in A1 NM now and my concerns about not having enough crafting perfect gems are pretty much gone. I still groan when I see yet another diamond, topaz or skull drop but by and large, there are enough flawless ones dropping that I should be OK. It will take some running there to build up a big stash but my concern in A5 normal was premature...

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

Altjira is doing well in A1 NM, accumulating gems and runes and beginning to craft things. I'm waffling about what route to take: I've crafted a few war scepters (both caster and hit power are options there) and got one that is servicable but not remarkable. I've got a good amulet and an OK caster mask. But I need to figure out what to do weapon and skill-wise. I've been hoarding points as I have several possible ideas:

1) Holy Fire + physical zealot
2) Holy Fire + conviction zealot, hopefully with a weapon doing good other elemental damage
3) pure Holy Fire and just run around the eventual fire immunes or hope that crushing blow can take them out.

The eventual plan is to hopefully craft divine scepters/caduceuses if I get that far, but if go with more elemental damage, I don't really need those. I'm happy drinking red potions steadily as there won't be much physical damage to get life leech from the way things currently look.

I'm pretty sure I'll be one-handed but not positive- I was vaguely thinking of a 2-handed blood crafted axe but I think that is not such a good plan. So I've been holding off investing in Holy Shield but now that I'm pretty much ruling out two-handed I think I'll put the skill points for that soon.

One thing I need to be careful of- being frozen is bad for a zealot, and there won't be any possible source of Cannot Be Frozen.

Current Score: 27 quests * 2 + 43 WP - 50 levels for a total of 47 points.

Active :
Code:
Purplelocust     Altjira       Paladin    1 NM        50       47           0
Deeds :
Code:

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

Altjira has killed Andarial a few times and is trying to get ready to move to the all-crafted world that faces him in A2 NM and beyond. A few concerns:

1) resists. He's done a fair amount of crafting, running NM Countess and getting a decent mix of gems. Aside from not having a single Sol drop yet (for a Blood ring) and his continuing gem distribution skewing toward uncraftable varieties, he's been pretty fortunate on the drops and has gotten some reasonable crafts, but there has been a massive shortage on the resist front compared to his current gear. I may go back to run normal LK for resist charms as it's hard to imagine him making reasonable progress without better resists.

2) a weapon. His Hit Power crafted war scepters have been low-middling to useless. I have been hoping for one with ITD or +pally skills but no luck there yet. He's been using his beloved Blood Crescent since normal Andy and it's going to be hard to take that out of his hands for something as weak as what he's got now. One idea would be to upgrade it to a cutlass and then personalize it to wield it later. (Phase blades get a lot of attention as -30 WSM swords- people seem to forget that cutlasses are also fast at -30 WSM. They can't have as many sockets, though.) I'd prefer to wield something crafted, though, so I'll keep trying there.

3) a shield. He's been using a rare pally shield with decent resists and his two shield crafts have had no resists at all so far. One at least had some blocking bonus. He hasn't picked up his normal Anya reward shield yet. I learned in another tourney that the ilvl of the reward class-specific item from her is the character level at the time you first talk to her. So by steering completely clear of Anya in town (and not yet visiting Pindle or Nihilathank) I'm hoping to improve my chance at something good from her, eventually. Something with decent resists and blocking would be great.

4) oddly annoying luck. Going back to run normal cows for a change of pace from NM Countess/Andy runs, he had a Gull drop on his way to get the leg. This is the at least the second time that I've had a Gull drop in an untwinked HC tourney. It's a great drop but the fact that he can't use it beyond A1 NM is somewhat heartbreaking. The last time this happened I ended up leaving the tourney to make the most of the opportunity at an untwinked Guardian, but that was much earlier in the tourney and I've already crafted so much stuff for him. Most of it is weak, but still I'd like to carry on in the tourney. He's also had some odd runs of luck: trying to gamble a magic heavy belt, waiting through many beltless/other belt screens, he finally got one, which of course came out to be a rare gamble. Then that happened two times again in a row. Usually I would be happy about such luck, but of course this time, not at all!

5) AR. He's been wearing Hsarus' boots and belt since normal Andy, and I suspect almost all of his current AR comes from that. That is going to be hard to replace. He still has skill points saved up to allocate depending upon the crafts that he gets. If he gets ITD on a scepter, that reduces the importance of AR, of course. And if he gets good sources of elemental damage, one idea is to go with Conviction as a backup aura for fire-immunes and that has the added advantage of solving the AR problem in that way.

Current Score: 28 quests * 2 + 48 WP - 52 levels for a total of 54 points.

Active :
Code:
Purplelocust     Altjira       Paladin    2 NM        52       54          25
Deeds :
Code:

Thaurus

Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't played in a tournament here in quite a while but this looks like fun. I'm not certain as to what game effects are considered spells so I have to ask - are Amazon poison skills allowed?

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

@Thaurus: it doesn't look like Kretschmer has logged in for a few weeks, so you may be waiting for an official answer. My take is that the amazon poison skills would be forbidden. Just like charged strike, there is a lot of side damage from those which would be the main killer.

I realized that the Anya personalization quest won't help Altjira keep his beloved Blood Crescent. So, it looks like he'll be having to switch to scepters or maybe an ax if he can get a good craft there. He's still levelling and searching for ingredients in hopes of getting some more useful crafts than he has at present.

Haerviu

Diabloii.Net Member

I started out quickly enough. Managed to find enough chipped topaz to fill ring mail and helm before leaving Cold Plains. I bought a large axe and put 1 chipped saphire and 2 chipped rubies in it. I ran Countess a few times, finding Blood Crescent(x2), Cleglaw's shield and a few useful runes. When I hit 18 I gambled a rare maul, made taking out undead much quicker. I gambled gloves and boots of perfect fortune (took a while), with some other mods not worth mentioning.

I found another Blood Crescent in the Catacombs. I took Andy at /p8, a few antidote pots made it safe enough. She dropped a diamond, chipped diamond, and chipped saphire, nothing else worth mentioning.

Moving on to Act 2, I went after Radament. I found Gorefoot on the way. I found Cleglaw's gloves in the Halls of the Dead. Once I got the cube, I rolled a few savage polearms. The best one I got was a Halberd of Alacrity, but due to poor planning, I wasn't able to use it til I got to 24 and picked up Hunger. I also put flawed topaz in a 3os breast plate.

The Maggot Lair was fairly easy with Maul and Hunger. I found a Razortine, Hsarus' boots, and Cathan's Mesh, but the big bug dropped junk. At this point I have 142 MF and 41 GF.

I'll cube jewelry and gamble circlets when I get back in.

Current Score: 7 quests x2 + 14 waypoints - 24 clevels = 4

Active :
Code:
Haerviu          Klondike      Druid      2 norm      24        4           0
Deeds :
Code:

Thaurus

Diabloii.Net Member

@Thaurus: it doesn't look like Kretschmer has logged in for a few weeks, so you may be waiting for an official answer. My take is that the amazon poison skills would be forbidden. Just like charged strike, there is a lot of side damage from those which would be the main killer.
purplelocust, thanks for the feedback. If it seems that way to you it likely will to some other participants as well. So I'll pass on the Amazon.

I'm thinking of playing a werewolf, perhaps using Feral Rage and Fire Claws. I'll post back if / when I have some progress to report.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

No change in my score to report, except my score going down from leveling to 54. I haven't picked up my normal Anya reward shield yet or done an imbue. My computations show that I have a chance at +2 pally skills (as well as +2 skill tree, +1 pally, +1 skill tree, of course) for targes at 52, for rondaches at 54, for heraldic shields at 58, for aerin shields at 60, and for crown shields at 62. I am now thinking about holding off on getting the reward until I level more, but I'm worried about progress through NM with low resists and continuing uncertainty about the build plans. I haven't gotten much in the way of useful resist charms but my crafting supplies are pretty good again.

Haerviu

Diabloii.Net Member

Deeds in the first false tomb. Too many unleachables, mixed with a mana burn ghost pack. I'll think about reentering, just not sure with what yet.

Active :
Code:
Deeds :
Code:
Haerviu          Klondike      Druid      2 norm       27      11           0

Last edited:

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member

So finally I'm joining (hopefully I can make some progress, I'm afraid I participate in too many different tournaments :)). Just cleared the Den of Evil and reached lvl 6. Running_Sushi, amazon - strafer. I wanted to try char which can benefit and "enjoy" crafting a lot and starfer seems to be a good option.

And I decided to try it as single-pass (if it seems it doesn't work, I will re-run for crafting materials, but I hope it could be possible as single-pass)

Running_Sushi, Strafe amazon, lvl 6, Act 2 N

Active :
Code:
sequana          Running_Sushi Amazon     1 Norm       6       -2           0
Deeds :
Code:
Haerviu          Klondike      Druid      2 norm       27      11           0

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

And I decided to try it as single-pass (if it seems it doesn't work, I will re-run for crafting materials, but I hope it could be possible as single-pass)
I´m doing the same, and I absolutely think it´s possible. We may wear some useless crap in A2NM (possibly even some empty slot!) but it´s worth trying.

I am concerned about getting any good stuff by that time, since we only get a couple of tries (at most) for each slot.

Too bad for me that my Ormus and Anya rewards were so bad. I hope for my two imbues to bring OK weapons, and for the NM Cain ring to be decent. I may even try the ultimate gamble: an ethereal imbue...

The reason I don´t put much hope in weapons crafting at the start of A2NM is that it´s too early. I will be level 53-54 at that time. In order to have a chance to get at least Ferocious on a bought + crafted Yari, I need to be level 61, which won´t happen until a bit into A3NM. So I see struggling times ahead, and lots of decisions like "Can I progress with this weapon? Is it worth trying for another, or better to save the materials until lvl 61 and do five craftings then instead?" Etc.

Pala is making very easy progress in Act V. Decoy is almost maxed now, and it can provide safety whenever I need it. Which isn´t often, btw, since Pala´s life steal tends to keep her at full life.

I checked out some numbers on weapon speeds for spears, and found to my surprise that Maiden Pikes are actually faster than Pikes. Maiden Pike is the only spear type in the game with a WSM of 10 (the exceptional/elite versions have 20 like Pikes). Once I found a Maiden Pike with 3 sockets, I made another Malice. I lost four frames attack speed (Pala has 31 fpa now, which is fine for this part of the game) but gained a LOT of damage. Listed Impale damage now is 312-936.

I´m finding a lot of crafting runes now, which leads me to think that it might be the gems that´s the bottleneck for the crafting. I currently have Ral x6, Ort x2, Thul x4, Amn x2 and Sol x3.

Pala the Impalazon, level 44, Nihlathak´s Temple next.