Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

Yeah, I get that, I'm wondering why I can't personalize a 6socket phaseblade and use that for a weapon. I thought based on that I can, but I guess I don't understand it right.

jdkerr

Diabloii.Net Member

You may use any gear up to Act 1 NM. When you enter Act 2 NM, all worn gear must be crafted (including weapon switch if used). From that time on, your character can only wear crafted items.
That's why. You can only use crafted items, other than the four quest reward items.

soulmanz

Diabloii.Net Member

skool is confused because of anyas 2 rewards

the statement is in reference to the first reward she gives, the class specific item, not the personalisation. So if your barb gets a lion helm, that can be used. the personalisation just gives you bonus points

sorry, back to lurking. thinking about this one though

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

When Charsi gives you the "imbue" quest and you imbue an item, you can use that even thought it is rare rather than crafted (yellow rather than orange). There are certain ways to change that item, though. For example, you could put a certain rune and gem in the cube in order to upgrade it to a better base time (normal > exceptional > elite). You could also put six skulls in the cube in order to re-roll its stats (aka, get a new item of the same base type). All of these methods of changing the item you "imbued" are disallowed. The same is true of the other quest rewards.
Close, but no re-rolling/upgrading. Trophies are a point in time. :)

-Quest rewards from Charsi, Cain, Ormus, and Anya may be used in place of crafted items, as they are trophies to your valor. As testaments to a particular point in time, these items cannot be upgraded to better base types or re-rolled via the cube.

Edited that line to specify rare items; thanks!

Update coming...

sequana

Diabloii.Net Member

I plan to join soon, but first I want to make sure. How is it with Barbarian's Warcries and Druid's Summoning skills, Grizzly in particular. Are they allowed?

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok. Now I get it, thanks. I was thinking of the personalize, not the class item. Probably going to switch to a fanat zealot in light of this.

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

I plan to join soon, but first I want to make sure. How is it with Barbarian's Warcries and Druid's Summoning skills, Grizzly in particular. Are they allowed?
You can summon 1 pet only, so grizzly is fine

"-One damage-dealing summoned pet may be used at a time. A necromancer may have either a golem or a skeleton, but not both. A druid with a grizzly out may summon oak sage and carrion vine, as the latter are non-damage pets. If he wants to use poison creeper he must dismiss the grizzly first."

you can use any utility skill, so long as it is not used to kill the monsters, like you can use warcry, just dont pump the synergies, or just don't spam it, use it only for the stun effect.

I just did a lengthy update on my gold digger, so I'm not feeling like updating here yet, but I will get an update here soon...

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

Furby has vanquished the horrors of Act 1!

Overall, it's been a fun trip. This is my first serious wolf, and the prospect of crafted goodness is motivating me to stick with the guy until he gets a decent attack at level 30! On /p 8 progress is steady but a bit slow, though the innate faster run walk from feral rage makes the experience much, much better than other weak-'till-30 untwinked characters.

I'm be curious to see if his canine wiles are enough to conquer hell - with a crafted ctc amp weapon on switch - or if I'll have to respec to some sort of odd hybrid (fury/fireclaws?).

The den went well enough...

...but the levels it granted posed a dilemma. My poison creeper was still alive at 6, and there doesn't appear to be a way to unsummon it to raise a wolf as my damaging minion:

Save & Exit solved that one pretty quickly. I was careful not to turn in my blood raven quest:

Soon after, feral rage kicked in and life became much better. I'm still plain Jane attacking the majority of the time, but it's attacking with 32% FRW and 12% life leech! I'm surprised I never read much about this skill, because it seems like an amazing boost to a feral fellow. Hopefully the attack boost of a level 1 version is strong enough to hit in hell, because leech and FRW are always helpful!

No good thing lasts forever, and I eventually made an absent-minded click on everyone's favorite mercenary captain:

Being really over-leveled on /p8 made it really tough to kill that merc off, but some creative barrel-hiding made it work:

Found a great ring that almost made me wish this was Yellow Bellies:

Andy Down!
Sadly, a topaz can't be shrined up to a crafting gem, might as well stick it in an armor...

With Andy down, I have one more act to slog through until fury bliss. There shouldn't be many near-death-experiences here, but Furby will certainly practice caution on the barren sands. I'm going to make a beeline for the cube before Radament, as a cubed savage polearm (kris + staff + belt + any diamond) is quite the prize. Venturing outside of Lut Gholein for a few minutes last night gave me my first unique:

Act 2 also brings up my first big dilemma: Dex or no Dex? Without dexterity I can still craft 2H elite maces and Feral axes, but I worry that the latter will prove too rare for easy crafting. Does ~60 dex give enough attack rating to matter in hell?

On to the deserts and tombs!

Active
Code:
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points      Crafting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kretschmer       Furby	      Druid        2 Norm           20            2               0
nemty           Craftsman     Necro        2 Norm           22            1               0
Deeds
Code:
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points      Crafting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furby; Level 20 Druid; Act II Lut Gholein, 2 points

jdkerr

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm thinking about this tournament, and I have a quick question. Would a skill like "exploding arrow" fall under the category of "skill that triggers an effect when striking"? I know that most of the bow skills are fine, since they deal damage dependent upon striking with a weapon, but I am not sure if some of the elemental bow skills would count as triggering an effect on striking.

Thanks!

ancalagon the black

Diabloii.Net Member

I started an assassin using DTail (kind of like the 2 that I started in Gold Diggers, but I think this tourney format will be kinder to them).

She's in the canyon of the magi already, and things are going very quickly for her -- since she's using /p1 mostly. 6 Tir runes and a triumphant ring are keeping her from having a bad mana-potion habit. The chippy-cubed ctc amp blade talons she's wearing will probably stay on until the end of normal.

She's planning on mostly blood gear once she gets to the point of using crafted items. Her weapon will probably be a crafted necro wand (weird, I know, but it's the only way to get a crafted -20 WSM weapon).

Her name is Dernhelm, she is level 21, and I'll post an update with score, etc. next time.

tavaritz

Banned

Holy Shock is out I imagine, even though it deals so meager damage itself compared to what it adds to the attack.

EDIT: @jdkerr: Let's wait a ruling.

Last edited:

jdkerr

Diabloii.Net Member

I was assuming the three elemental auras were permissible. Now I wonder... :scratchchin:

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

-Skills that add straight elemental damage or %eledamage to your attacks are fine (e.g. Vengeance, Dragon Tail, Enchant)

Elemental auras are kosher!

tavaritz

Banned

If elemental auras are kosher, then I think I'll join in with a Teslafroster Ranger.

Estimated build:

20 Holy Freeze
20 Resist Cold
20 Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
20 Salvation

Minimum strength, dex & vita equal.

Oh, no. There is no grafting recipe for bows. Back to the drawing board.

What if we change the Salvation to Zeal, no. It'll be double axe wielding ww barb. I'll save the teslafroster ranger for some other tourney.

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member

tavaritz - you can still be a ranger, using a white bow up until the Charsi quest.
Imbue the white bow with the quest reward, as you are allowed to use it in place of a Crafted item.
You get two more chances to improve the bow, one in Nightmare and one in Hell. Go on, you know you want to!

tavaritz

Banned

I'll have to think.

EDIT: I thought and assigned teslafroster on heads and ww-barb on tails. It was tails. That's actually fine as I can use teslafroster on Morathi's soon to be announced Exposed tourney.

Last edited:

Raver

Diabloii.Net Member

Active
Code:
Kretschmer       Furby	      Druid        2 Norm           20            2               0
nemty           Craftsman     Necro        2 Norm           22            1               0
Frenzy          Concentration  Barb        1 Norm           16           -3               0
Deeds
Code:

I had been having a fairly easy time clearing my way through the early stages of act 1 with Frenzy (a concentration barb). Weapons were becoming an issue as I hadn't found an axe I could be happy with when a unique short sword dropped from a random champ pack near the Stony Field wp. It goes without saying that the 25% cb I got helped me clear my way to the tower in the Black Marsh. I've had little trouble completing quests up to this point and am about to start some tower runs to stockpile runes.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Just polished off Meph. I've been running at /p8 so far the whole time, not likely to change that with how easy holy fire makes things. I've found a couple of uniques and a few set items, oddly I managed to gamble a set belt. I'm pretty much trying to build up my pgems since I don't think I'm going to rerun any areas. At the rate I'm currently going, I will be without some items come Act2 NM.

OrangeAvenger, lvl 30 Paladin, Pandemonium Fortress