Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator
Re: Tournament - The Craftsman's Children

Nice progress! I can't imagine trying to impale while worrying about IM, you would never make it through the CS.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice progress! I can't imagine trying to impale while worrying about IM, you would never make it through the CS.
My first Impalazon got through in 1.10, both in Normal and in Nightmare. Yes, it took a while, but not that much more time compared to how slow the character was anyway. She had to do a lot of separation of enemies, and before she did any Impaling of the Knights/Lords/Casters, she always had a Decoy out half a screen ahead of her. If the Decoy got cursed, that meant an Oblivion Knight was too close and I pulled back more before making another attempt.

The Oblivion Knights themselves were taken down by using a Decoy to herd them into a corner or straight into a wall, then walk up right behind the Decoy and recast her as curse scout as usual. Then, if everything looked stable, I'd Impale the Oblivion Knight.

In HC, I have never been killed by Iron Maiden.

Last edited:

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

Wow, that's impressive dedication as always :p

I've never died to IM in HC either, but I don't play melee very much.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

With a marathon game that spanned over several sessions and three days (I left the computer running overnight and when I was at work), Pala the Impalazon has now cleared the first outdoor areas of Act V Nightmare. It must have taken over 10 hours in total. It took me over 2 hours just to get to and defeat Dac Farren's gang...

To recap, Pala's main gameplay is to hide behind her maxed Decoy and slowly poke enemies to death with her +70% ED Yari (~750 average Impale damage). Blood gloves and belt help with OW and CB, and she does a little poison damage that stops regeneration on non-PoI monsters.

The hardest area was the first, Bloody Foothills, against Slingers and Foul Crows. The crows sometimes hit with a strong poison and it took time for me to develop a safe way to kill them. They are extremely dangerous in large packs. They are also super fast when they "rush". First of all, it was important to pull back so the Decoy did not have to suffer more than 3 at a time. Pala now walked up just behind the Decoy and chose a target. Focusing on her target, she would wait until that crow moved in and took a bite at the Decoy. Now I shift-clicked on the crow once. Quite often, Pala would hit, but just as often she would miss. Just keep focusing on that crow and repeat the process. They got stunned quite often and I could follow up with more hits (they died from 3-4 hits).

Dac Farren's pack was majorly annoying. Take a monster type that is already hard to melee if your attack is slow, then add Cold Enchanted to the mix. Ugh.

The big outdoor areas were easy but (of course) took a really long time. Highlands had Imps, Slayers and Lashers/Slayers. So a lot of that slow and easy 'Baal's minion', aka 'boar' monster type (of three different types if you include the superunique packs). I did my best to lure away the Slayers from their masters but since I could not blind them or something like that, there was still no way to prevent a large number of bombers to form. I still secured the XP from them (all but 2-3) because I always had an area where I could trap them ready. 6-8 Lightning Bolts were enough to kill them.

Plateau had Blood Bringers with green imps, plus both fire- and lightning skeleton magi. Got a major scare when a Blood Bringer boss easily killed the decoy and hit me for more than half my life. I had discovered earlier that my spear range was so long I could hit over some of the thinner walls. This is how I fought Ash Wound and later also Thresh Socket.
(Yes, of course I had to freakin' repair the spear to complete the fight in the screenie. Another 5300 gold ...)

There was a beast in Pit of Acheron that very nearly put an end to my full clear status - a Ghostly Balrog. Poison immune, and the Ghostly ability brings a large physical resistance. I simply had to have open wounds going to make any progress. That is not easy if your hits only has 8% chance to trigger it. I could just forget Impale, had to hit way more often than that. Jab with my spear looked promising at first - got him down to 1/3 after just a few minutes. But every time OW was not running, he regenerated like crazy. There were also small interruptions that had to be made at long intervals: recasting Decoy (not because it got killed but because it timed out!) and repairing the spear. After my second town trip to repair the spear, I was still stuck near halfway. PMH would have been really nice (and yes, I have looked for it on all the weapons I have crafted - it hasn't spawned yet). Then I decided to try Jabbing with my javelin. Simbilian has a worse WSM than Yari but it is still listed as 'Fast' compared to the spear's 'Normal'. That did the trick - eventually.

Recent finds:
* Sol rune (my most coveted rune)
* Skull Collector unique Rune Staff (grailer). Wow, cool stick. Several of my other tourney characters would have loved it here in late NM.

Pala reached level 69 this session. From now on, all items I shop and craft will get four random affixes. I crafted two more Yaris but none were better than the one I have used for a long time.

I have decided to be a little more flexible with endgame weapon types and have added a little more STR. I am now only 5 points away from being able to use a Mancatcher. But what I really hope for is that a couple of imbuable Matriarchal Spears start to drop soon. They are not quite as good as Ghost Spears for damage but their qlvl is much lower (61 vs 83) so they can actually start to drop just about now.

Pala the Impalazon, level 69, NM Crystalline Passage next

Southpaw8668

Diabloii.Net Member

With a marathon game that spanned over several sessions and three days (I left the computer running overnight and when I was at work), Pala the Impalazon has now cleared the first outdoor areas of Act V Nightmare. It must have taken over 10 hours in total. It took me over 2 hours just to get to and defeat Dac Farren's gang...

To recap, Pala's main gameplay is to hide behind her maxed Decoy and slowly poke enemies to death with her +70% ED Yari (~750 average Impale damage). Blood gloves and belt help with OW and CB, and she does a little poison damage that stops regeneration on non-PoI monsters.

The hardest area was the first, Bloody Foothills, against Slingers and Foul Crows. The crows sometimes hit with a strong poison and it took time for me to develop a safe way to kill them. They are extremely dangerous in large packs. They are also super fast when they "rush". First of all, it was important to pull back so the Decoy did not have to suffer more than 3 at a time. Pala now walked up just behind the Decoy and chose a target. Focusing on her target, she would wait until that crow moved in and took a bite at the Decoy. Now I shift-clicked on the crow once. Quite often, Pala would hit, but just as often she would miss. Just keep focusing on that crow and repeat the process. They got stunned quite often and I could follow up with more hits (they died from 3-4 hits).

Dac Farren's pack was majorly annoying. Take a monster type that is already hard to melee if your attack is slow, then add Cold Enchanted to the mix. Ugh.

The big outdoor areas were easy but (of course) took a really long time. Highlands had Imps, Slayers and Lashers/Slayers. So a lot of that slow and easy 'Baal's minion', aka 'boar' monster type (of three different types if you include the superunique packs). I did my best to lure away the Slayers from their masters but since I could not blind them or something like that, there was still no way to prevent a large number of bombers to form. I still secured the XP from them (all but 2-3) because I always had an area where I could trap them ready. 6-8 Lightning Bolts were enough to kill them.

Plateau had Blood Bringers with green imps, plus both fire- and lightning skeleton magi. Got a major scare when a Blood Bringer boss easily killed the decoy and hit me for more than half my life. I had discovered earlier that my spear range was so long I could hit over some of the thinner walls. This is how I fought Ash Wound and later also Thresh Socket.
(Yes, of course I had to freakin' repair the spear to complete the fight in the screenie. Another 5300 gold ...)

There was a beast in Pit of Acheron that very nearly put an end to my full clear status - a Ghostly Balrog. Poison immune, and the Ghostly ability brings a large physical resistance. I simply had to have open wounds going to make any progress. That is not easy if your hits only has 8% chance to trigger it. I could just forget Impale, had to hit way more often than that. Jab with my spear looked promising at first - got him down to 1/3 after just a few minutes. But every time OW was not running, he regenerated like crazy. There were also small interruptions that had to be made at long intervals: recasting Decoy (not because it got killed but because it timed out!) and repairing the spear. After my second town trip to repair the spear, I was still stuck near halfway. PMH would have been really nice (and yes, I have looked for it on all the weapons I have crafted - it hasn't spawned yet). Then I decided to try Jabbing with my javelin. Simbilian has a worse WSM than Yari but it is still listed as 'Fast' compared to the spear's 'Normal'. That did the trick - eventually.

Recent finds:
* Sol rune (my most coveted rune)
* Skull Collector unique Rune Staff (grailer). Wow, cool stick. Several of my other tourney characters would have loved it here in late NM.

Pala reached level 69 this session. From now on, all items I shop and craft will get four random affixes. I crafted two more Yaris but none were better than the one I have used for a long time.

I have decided to be a little more flexible with endgame weapon types and have added a little more STR. I am now only 5 points away from being able to use a Mancatcher. But what I really hope for is that a couple of imbuable Matriarchal Spears start to drop soon. They are not quite as good as Ghost Spears for damage but their qlvl is much lower (61 vs 83) so they can actually start to drop just about now.

Pala the Impalazon, level 69, NM Crystalline Passage next
Okay, after reading all your posts here I think I will elect to go with a charged strike spearzon instead. Is this tournament even still running?

felixbavaria

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay, after reading all your posts here I think I will elect to go with a charged strike spearzon instead. Is this tournament even still running?
Charged Strike is banned in this tournament, you'd have to go for Power Strike instead. Of course you can always post your updates here, but unless jiansonz dusts off his Impalazon there won't be much competition :)

Southpaw8668

Diabloii.Net Member
Charged Strike is banned in this tournament, you'd have to go for Power Strike instead. Of course you can always post your updates here, but unless jiansonz dusts off his Impalazon there won't be much competition :)
Yes, Power Strike that's what skill I meant. ;)I should have looked up the name before posting, since it's been so long since I've actually used the skill.

Southpaw8668

Diabloii.Net Member
So how does one enter their character data in the chart? I attempted and just ended up re-posting jiansonz's last post.

Last edited:

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
Good day everyone! Been a while since i was here last time. I have decided since sometime to begin a new adventure with a Paladin in this tournament. I just loove the rules of this one, it's like candy for my emotions! :p

Anyhow! I have the begin the adventure with Knight Protector. If anyone has read the books of David Eddings. The hero Mandorallen who's other name is Knight Protector in the Mrin Codex. A bodyguard to Princess Ce'Nedra, a nice little lady in the books. I like he's character in the books and i like to play him here as well. I have choosen Holy Freeze. I hope it's allowed. Anyway, i will not use any skills until anyone can verifiy if the skill is ok to use in this tournament.

Time to begin the adventure! :)

Active
Code:
Forum Name       Character     Class      Act       Level   Points      Crafting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purplelocust     Altjira       Paladin    5 H         85      599        >100
kavarin          Crafty        Druid      1 H         74       89+        ~50
kestegs          Cyan          Sorc       5 NM        60       37+         50
jiansonz     Pala          Amazon     3 NM        62       ??          ??
sequana          Running_Sushi Amazon     2 NM        53       62          12
Krupa            KrankyTank    Barb       2 NM        49       ??          ??
magor            Magor         Barb       1 NM        43       65           4
ancalagon        BurnWithMe    Assassin   1 NM        48       58           3
Vague            Armsman       Barb       5 Norm      33       54           1
Kretschmer       Furby         Druid      2 Norm      20        2           0
nemty            Craftsman     Necro      2 Norm      22        1           0
HappeningKT      Kaioken       Paladin    1 Norm       1        0           0
Raver            Frenzy        Barb       1 Norm      16       -3           0
Aznagroth        Glamdring                1 Norm       1        0           0
Skunkbelly       Fireskunk     Sorc       1 Norm       1        0           0
Klonki       Knight Protector  Paladin    1 Norm       0        0           0
Deeds
Code:
Forum Name       Character     Class      Act       Level   Points      Crafting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dagonarth        Marcia_II     Assassin   1 H          75     217           29
Vang             Deathsoon     Amazon     1 H          68     213           20
kestegs          Intangerine   Barbarian  4 NM         57      97
Thaurus         Max           Druid      2 NM         56      60           6
Dagonarth        Marcia        Assassin   3 Norm       24      19           0
Aznagroth        Glamdring     Paladin    3 norm       20      18
Haerviu          Klondike      Druid      2 norm       27      11           0
crazy_bear       Anders        Druid      2 norm       23       3
ancalagon        Dernhelm      Assassin   3 Norm       22      ??

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome!

As far as I can see, Holy Freeze fits nicely with the idea of the tournament. The HF pulses deal damage even if you do not hit, but that damage is minimal.

My Impalazon is still stuglling through Act III Nightmare, waiting for me to muster up the desire to play her a little more. If only I had a better spear...

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome!

As far as I can see, Holy Freeze fits nicely with the idea of the tournament. The HF pulses deal damage even if you do not hit, but that damage is minimal.

My Impalazon is still stuglling through Act III Nightmare, waiting for me to muster up the desire to play her a little more. If only I had a better spear...
Oh thank you for the information sir! I have a little question about the gear-rules.. When i enter act2 nm, i have to equip only crafted items, right? Should i stay at act1 nm until i get alot of craft-recipes and items to craft with? Can i have for an example some other non-craftgear until i get craftitem for that slot or should it be emty? Nice to see you have moved your parked character abit! :)

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
When i enter act2 nm, i have to equip only crafted items, right?
Basically yes, but quest rewards from Charsi, Cain, Ormus and Anya (the class-specific item) are also allowed (as long as they aren't upgraded or rerolled).

Should i stay at act1 nm until i get alot of craft-recipes and items to craft with?
That's for you to decide.

Can i have for an example some other non-craftgear until i get craftitem for that slot or should it be emty?
Up until you defeat NM Andariel, there are no restrictions.
When you reach Act II NM, only crafted gear and the quest rewards I mentioned are allowed.

Last edited:

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
Basically yes, but quest rewards from Charsi, Cain, Ormus and Anya (the class-specific item) are also allowed (as long as they aren't upgraded or rerolled).

That's for you to decide.

Up until you defeat NM Andariel, there are no resticrions.
When you reach Act II NM, only crafted gear and the quest rewards I mentioned are allowed.
Thank you again! That cleared it up what i wondered about. :)

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
I have made some progress, not so much i can admit, but a little at least. :) I'm currently level 14. From the beginning it went smooth. Sometimes i switched from diffirent p-settings. Raven went kind of quickly. Also the third quest to rescue poor Cain from the cage. I have a question about the second quest. How should i get a point for it without getting the rouge? It's not allowed what i know in this tournament to have mercenaries of any kind.

Active
Code:
Klonki       Knight Protector  Paladin    1 Norm      14      -14           0
Deeds
Code:

Last edited:

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator
You still have completed the quest if you've killed blood raven in my opinion. You can also get the rogue and just get her killed asap.

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
Once again some progress have been made, small but it's something! Gut Eater a returner
gave me my first green item! It was fun to get my first. Countness was kind to gave me a pair of runes, will be useful in the future! :D The last thing is when i was gamble some morningstars and this one was amazing for my early adventure! Now i will continue my way to the Tamoe Highland.

Active
Code:
Klonki       Knight Protector  Paladin    1 Norm      15       -3           0
Deeds
Code:

Last edited: