Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament : Swashbucklers Ahoy!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Merlin The Wizzard, May 8, 2008.

1. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Tournament : Swashbucklers Ahoy!

Introduction
    "My son, are you sure?"
    "Oh yes dad, totally."
    "But it sounds so... girly."
    "Not my problem."
    "Well but... I'll be the laughing stock at the yearly king convention. They'll spray my tent pink!"
    "Pink is a lovely color. Since you host the thing anyways, make sure the theme is pink or something."
    "It would break your mothers heart."
    "Last time she was around, and I told her of my failures, she snorted her ale up and and made public fun of me. I heard she is out somewhere in the north slaying giants? I hope one stomps on her... Hard."
    "So... you want prospective brides to battle it out for your hand?"
    "Well, this one at least. She frightens me."
    "Boy, a dead mouse frightens you."
    "I swear dad, those beady eyes never stopped following me. He was a zombie mouse, after my brain!"
    "Not much of a meal..."
    "Father!"
    "Oh, all right. Send the wench in."

The doors opened, and a burly blonde woman came stomping in.

"So you want to marry my son?"
    "What I want is a comfortable life and a husband who won't give me any lip. That cretin of yours fits the bill."
    "Ah, I see. Well, he has asked that you bring him at least three parts of the Immortal King set."
    "What does he need those for? I'm sure he can't even lift the maul..."
    "You are talking about MY son, girl. Care to visit my dungeon for a while?"
    "Ehm... nooo, I'm fine. So you want them set items? Ok, I'll see what I can find. Bye bye now, my king, my cretin to be."
    "Son..."
    "Yes dad?"
    "If she succeeds, and comes back and marries you... I wonder, who will be forced to wear the dress down the isle..."
    "FATHER!"

The idea
    Go swashbuckling. In general, swashbucklers manage, through skill and bravado, to overcome surprising odds against them and achieve their goal. With that definition, Diablo seems to be DESIGNED for swashbuckling... Too bad you can't swing from chandeliers. :p Create a character, write up a nice background. Go out and kill some monsters, and tell us about it by use of screenshots and progress reports!

Inspiration
    Ok, so that introduction is some background exposition on my probable character to be. Sue me! I hope it was a fun read. Actually, the idea just sorta popped in my head. Odd, since I've not seen any swashbuckling movies lately. :p

Rules
    There won't be many, since I want to let your people be as free as possible.

- HC only. If that's not your game, I may allow softcore, but one death and you are out of the running. Swasbucklers don't die and get well again in the movies either (Except for Highlander perhaps)
    - 1.10/1.11 only.
    - Untwinked. Mule off what you see fit, don't mule on. Atma is allowed as an extended stash.
    - A mercenary is allowed, but YOU should always be the centre of attention. Take a good pick for character exposition (Just think about the Go sparky go tournament a while back, where you had to get an A3 merc as a love interest). Make sure (s)he is not a better killer then you are. For most, this is simply a matter of keeping the weapon slot empty, or with a crappy bow. Once you get to hell difficulty, the crippled merc restriction is lifted.
    - No summons. None. As for the merc, YOU are the centre of attention, not your creatures.
    - Rerunning is allowed, but not encouraged. Try to do it all single pass, boys and girls.

Winning
    - The tournament will run until someone makes guardian or until two months have passed. So it ends at 8-7-2008 either way. At that time, voting will commence.
    - Each contestant gets to make three picks in each of the following categories:
    - Character name and the background provided. (10%)
    - Chosen character class and skills and the explanation behind it (10%)
    - What equipment/weapons the character uses and the explanation behind it

(no need to do so for the merc though)(5%)
    - Quality of the screenshots (25%)
    - Quality of the progress reports (40%)

The remaining 10% are determined by the total progress made before death and not subject to voting. If a tie comes up, the player with most top picks wins. If that is also undecided, I cast the final vote.

Given these rules, it's quite possible that someone who dies in Act I normal will win over someone who makes it to Guardian. It all hinges on the exposition :p

- Should you die and want to restart, you may. However, only one of your characters will count towards the votes. You pick which beforehand.
    - First pick gets 5 points, second 3 and last 1. I will add all the scores up for each character per category, and then multiply it by the percentage listed in brackets divided by 5. Example
    Doris and Daisy find Josh's (Snooty Snazzles) character name and background fantastic, and give him top pick. No one else does however. So he gets 5+5 = 10 points. This is multiplied by (10/5 = 2) so final tally for the name /character class = 20. for Josh. It will be added up to his scores in the other categories.

- You may write one progress report for each Act completed (also if you die in that act before completion.) The progress report is not required, but given the idea behind this tournament, it's very much encouraged
    - Each progress report may be enlivened with screenshots. In order to keep things readable, a maximum of five screenshots per progress report are allowed.

Alternate Goals
    Just read my introduction above. You are free to pick any goal you like. (I will veto any goal that seems unreasonably easy though... That would not be in the swasbuckling spirit). It may even be an open ended goal (Collect as many perfect gems as possible). It's mainly a matter of exposition, and a means for storyline progression ( Aye matey, har har, I heard there's this forge in this here buring river where we can find us some lovely gems. So let's carve up some opponents and get us some loot!) These goals have no direct outcome on the vote, but faithfully trying to achieve it and then actually achieving it might score you some points in background and progress reports.

Screenshots
    - You are free (and even encouraged) to 'stage' your screenies. Action shots are nice, but a pirate standing in a screen filled with heaps of gold is nice as well.
    - If players have suggestions for good websites to load screenshots up to, they are encouraged to share those.

2. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

Re: Tournament : Swashbucklers Ahoy!

At first I didnt think I wanted to take place in this tournament, but after a few thoughts I realised I had an Idea that might just fit into the theme. The details are not finalized yet though.

One question still lingers though. Will RWM be allowed?

3. Merlin The Wizzard

Good question. Yes, it will. RRM as well. No other mods though.
    Code:
    [highlight]Forum Name    Char name    Char class   Waypoint    Best Find[/highlight]

Here is a shot at the table to use for tally purposes.

4. Merlin The Wizzard

Oh. I will point this out come voting time as well, but no one is allowed to vote for themselves.

5. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

How can I resist? Well, I could wear a nice Mudstone Sacred Armor of Mud (+ 200% Resist Merlin Tournaments, + 25% Max Merlin Tournaments Resist), but where would the fun be in that? I'm off to dream up some fantastically entertaining and amusing story, and then revise it to a droll boring story once I realise I can't make a Silly-Walking Pygmie Dwarf-Tosser. I shall return. AH-HAH!!!

edit: Merlin, if this is really a swash-buckling tournament, shouldn't we be restricted to using Scimitars and Sabres (and their Exceptional and Elite counterparts) as our only weapons? And no shields either!

6. Merlin The Wizzard

As few limitations as possible... Sure, original swashbucklers used sabres and scimitars only. Pirates occasionally have a demi bluckler or something. But this isn't about the weapons you can and must use. It's more of an RP thing. Write up a fun and entertaining background/reason WHY you use the weapon class you use.

"Hello. Is this where I can recite my career information sheet thingie?"
    "Oh, a barbarian no doubt. Sure, go ahead. If you can read that is."
    "I'll let that slide. Ehem. My name is Bhlawk..."
    "You mother must have been ill when she thought of that name"

*THUD* *KAPOW* Censored
    "Gurgle..."
    "Anyone else think they can make fun of me? No? Good. My name is Bhlawk, and I
    am a swashbucklnig Maul Wielder."
    "A what now? Swashbucklers use scimitars, and Sabres."
    "Never seen the play: Flynn , ye olde Swashbuckling Barbarian? No? Figures. Well, let's just say he gave a very convincing demonstration of how effective a maul can be with the full swing of a chandelier behind him. He is my hero! Allow me to demonstrate.."
    "Nnnooooo not that chandelier, nooooooooo..."
    *Crash. Thud* CENSORED

Try to sell your weapon of choice. I'm sure it's fully possible to make a fun, swashbuckling adventurer out of almost any weaponwielder. You are of course, free to use a scimitar and/or sabre.

7. Docturnal

"Look dad! I got in! I got in!"
    "Got in where? Sir Malicious' Academy for advanced dentistry? Thats great son."
    "No dad, I got in to the Harlequin university. The opera they teach there is the best!"
    "You're not going to Harlequin university. We've been through this, you're gonna be a dentist. Every man in our family has allways been a dentist and so will you."
    "No dad. Im gonna be a singer, Ill be the best singer in the world."
    "Not while living under my roof you wont. One more mention of this Harlequin university stuff and Ill cut you off. And that's that."
    "Fine. I'll leave then"
    "That's right, dentistry is better... what? You cant leave. I forbid it."

But he did leave. He went to the harbor and started working for the first ship that he saw to save up for the tuition.
    He later learned it was a pirate ship, which was fine with him. After all in the operas the pirates are all merry sailors framed by corrupt officals that only rob the evil and wicked.
    They named him Two-Eyed Jack since he was the only crewmember with two eyes.
    When he realized that all pirates were not merry sailors with hearts of gold, they had realised he was a merry sailor with a heart of gold and had marooned him in some backwater town called "the rogue camp"

Code:
    [highlight]Forum Name    Char name    Char class   Waypoint    Best Find[/highlight]
    Docturnal     Twoeyed_Jack Barbarian    Rogue Camp

8. Docturnal

Forgot to mention: I am running my game on a no-cd crack since my cd broke due to too much use. I do have a legitimate cd-key and have payed for the game though. It should not affect anything, but if you think I cannot participate due to this I will withdraw my application.

9. Merlin The Wizzard

No problem for me. Feel free to play, Great write up! Don't forget to tell us what build you are going to use, and why this is appropriate for .. swashbuckling (A singer, I take it?)

10. Docturnal

Yep. A singer barbarian. The motivation is simple, he thinks he is living the epic opera with his swashbuckling self as the leading character (and he'll sing the story to anyone as it unfolds). Soon to come is his muse, the reluctant rogue mercenary. But more on that in the first update.

11. schillerdc78

schillerdc78 IncGamers Member

Scene: The big hall in an even bigger castle.

Enter: The king, his son

„Son, one day all this will be yours.â€
    “But father, you know how I am afraid of big things, and your kingdom is quite big. Can't I just have something small, a tiny room in the smallest tower perhaps?â€
    “Here we go again! Listen, we are a Barbarians! We think, live, fight and die big! I might not be able to read very well but I still own a dictionary and the word “small†is not in itâ€
    “You will never understand me! But how about I go out on a small scale big adventure and prove, that little can be strong, if little has heart?â€
    “What kind of nonsense is that? A big adventure? You want to kill Baal with a kitchen knife or a fork?â€
    “Well, that's just about right. I will hunt down Baal and I will do it with nothing but a dagger and whatever useful stuff I can find!â€
    “Son, you might be small minded but you sure have big dreams. But what the hell, go ahead! I don't expect you to return. And if you do, it will be in very little pieces!â€
    “I shall return! And I will bring back a hundred chipped gems on top of Baal's scalp. Good bye father.â€
    “Fare well son, and may your dagger be bigger then your small mind.â€

Exit: Son

I will play a barbarian named TinyWhiny, using daggers only and whatever he can find for amour and everything else.
    His goal will be to kill Baal on any given level (since this is my first HC I will probably not even make it in normal) and to collect 100 hundred chipped gems of any kind on the way.

Thanks for the great idea and I wish everyone a outstanding tournament.

Cheers

SchillerDC78

12. Merlin The Wizzard

Wow. A dagger wielding barbarian? That's an unusual choice for sure, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Nice goal there, but you might want to expand a bit on the armour part of your gear?

13. Merlin The Wizzard

Code:
    Merlin        Red Sonia    Sorceress    Rogue Camp
    Schillerdc    TinyWhiny    Barbarian    Rogue Camp

Red Sonia finally found her way to a rogue camp, on her long travels to find those set items.
    One of the rogues at the entrance greeted her.
    "Hello, welcome to our camp. Who and what are you?"
    "My name is Red Sonia, and I am a sorceress. I came here because I was told there was adventure to be had, and I could find some items I need."
    "Ehm... Red Sonia? I heard rumors that you like toying with fire...You some kind of pyromaniac then? If you are, you are not welcome here."
    "Oh, relax. You want to know why they think I like fire? Watch this."

With a flourish, she drew her sabre. After a bit of concentration, she gestured, and the cold grey metal slowly started to glow red. Flames licked along the edge, rippling along the hilt, but they didn't hurt the sorceresss.

"Trust me, a few slices from my blade here are pretty lethal. And why do I use a one handed sword? I thought it would look dashing, certainly more so then a huge axe or some sort of club. Oh yeah, for that same reason, you won't catch me dead wearing some sort of burly plate. I am fine with a breast plate, and I actually like light plates, but for the rest... Only leather armors for me! Oh, and just so you know... I have royal aspirations. Some cretin in the west is probably shivering in his boots now, hoping I won't return to marry him. Fat luck I say. Just to make my point, I'll try to find a nice little crown as soon as possible. "

Enough exposition. Red Sonia will be using one handed swords (all kinds, so war, crystal, falchion, sabre, scimitar and short sword). For safety purposes she will use a shield, but she will steer clear from all metal armors save 2. Breast Plate and Light plate (and of course, all exceptional and elite variations). I will go for a crown as soon as possible. I may or may not, depending on how difficult I find the build (it will be the first time i use an enchantress), go toy with 'color' schemes (Blue armor, yellow crown, etc.)

As for her skills, I will of course fully develop enchant and Fire mastery. I'll probably go with glacial spike as a backup skill, should I ever get that far. (Not likely).

14. lukin

lukin IncGamers Member

Hohmhomonda took a quick look around and didn't like what he saw. Everyone everywhere seemed content and happy without a care in the world. "Something's not quite right," he pondered as he headed into the tavern. He was greeted by a smiling barkeep and a few friendly patrons at the bar. As he ordered his drink, he was struck by the odd smiles on everyone's faces. He leaned up to the guy next to him and said "how's it goin?" The reply was short and curt, "everything is great there's absolutely nothing wrong here, we don't need anyone to help us out."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Unless you want trouble, just sit back and drink your drink and move on. You don't want to know what's happening or get involved in any way."

Harrogath sure was a strange town. Just then, an explosion followed by a large cloud of poison gas encircled the town and threatened to kill them all. Most of the citizens at the bar already had antidotes in their pocket. As hohmhomonda choked on the floor, he knew something must be done.

"This isn't right!" He screamed. "What the heck is going on around here?"

Some brave soul replied "It's Baal. He's come to the Arreat Summit and made his way into the Worldstone Keep and is threatening to destroy our way of life."

"Then why don't you do something about it?" He asked.

"Have you been out past the gates and seen the pile of dead bodies? We can't risk any more dead soldiers and on top of that, there are spies within and without the walls. The circle our town during the day and any sign of unhappiness they report to Baal's soldiers and the shelling is even worse."

"Who is spying on you?" Hohmhomonda asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" the young man replied, "What is the only living thing outside these walls that aren't killing people?"

His heart sank as he realized the awful truth of the situation. It was the rabbits. Baal's evil had sunk to a new low.

"I will come back he said. I have to acquire skills and weapons to make the plains a safer place to live. A place where deer and antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the sky is not cloudy with poison all day."

"What's your name stranger?" The young man asked.

"Hohmhomonda Ranger a fire breathing, bow shooting, Baal beating bully from Kurast who is going to come back in the next couple of months and teach Baal a thing or two about turning rabbits into evil messengers of death."

Thus, the saga begins.

Code:
    Code:
    Forum Name    Char name    Char class   Waypoint    Best Find
    Merlin        Red Sonia    Sorceress    Rogue Camp
    Schillerdc    TinyWhiny    Barbarian    Rogue Camp
    Lukin         Hohmhomonda  Paladin      Rogue Camp

Hohmhomonda is a holy fire ranger which will obviously max holy fire and synergies and maybe blessed aim. Why a ranger as swashbuckler? Because, my favorite solitary heroes have always been archers (Link, Robin Hood, Green Arrow, Hawkeye)

As an added bonus, I will always have one piece on that is a quest reward, whether it be from Charsi, Ormus, etc. Also, I will only use Merc's that are available in the act I am in (no merc traveling from Act to Act even in Act IV) and they will use their base weapons.

An added note: I will be SC but will obviously retire this character once he is dead, (which given my track record will be very soon)

15. Merlin The Wizzard

Well, Sonia didn't quite make it to an update. She croaked at the very first bosspack in the hole (Black Marsh), a HF aura Misshapen boss. I found her too weak overall, especially with little backup from the merc without a weap, to go toe to toe with my opponents.

I found one unique. And what a splendid one that was as well, a drop in the underground passage : A unique ShortSword. That helped a lot (but not enough :p)

16. mwille

mwille IncGamers Member

The rules state NO summons; does that include Decoy? I have a story line in mind for a zon where that would fit in quite nicely & wanted to know if I could incorporate that into it.

17. Merlin The Wizzard

Decoy is fine. No valkyrie though!

18. kobold

kobold Banned

I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring. This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm still pondering the specifics of my character, will update I have a story fleshed out.

19. Merlin The Wizzard

Oh, by the way lukin, awesome intro! Can't wait to read up on homhmonda ranger...

20. lukin

lukin IncGamers Member

it's coming soon. I just entered the outer cloister.