Tournament: Merc's Merc

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: Merc's Merc

Welcome to the Tournament D&D :wave:. Me and Jiansonz tried to making everything clear in the rules, but i do understand how you can get confused. I hope everything makes sense now?

A sorc, nice choice! may not seem like the easiest starting character, but one that can surely go quite far in this tournament.

Quick update on Mane. He is currently resting his heels after just rescuing Cane. I will provide a more in-depth update at the conclusion of Act 1 (if i make it that far hehehe). But so far, i am having some of the most fun i have ever had playing D2!

Kefka

Diabloii.Net Member

You got me.

Code:
Forum Name     Character     Class       Location      Level    Points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi        Mane          Druid       Rogue Camp    1        2
Abelard        Baldemar      Paladin     Rogue Camp    1        2
DaD            Paige         Sorceress   The Hole      16       -
Kefka        SomeLikeit_Hot  Sorceress   Rogue Camp    1        2
SomeLikeit_Hot Will be an enchantress (suprise, suprise). i'm undecided about what act merc to use at this point. I'm thinking the typical a2 might (once i'm there), but a bowie sounds fun too (tele + Bowie = +50 guardian merc???). Merc = TBD

Kefka

edit: Just noticed this is my second morathi tourney.

UllaV

Diabloii.Net Member

- Single pass only (no re running of act bosses and areas).
- You may revisit prior difficulties to hire mercs or shop, however you may not leave town except to refresh the vendor screen and to retrieve wirts leg (make sure you do not pick up or use any item, and keep the killing to a minimum, do this at p/1).
- Atma may be used as an extended stash
As many tourneys has these restrictions and allowances, why not require to get the leg on first pass and stash it.

Ulla

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

As many tourneys has these restrictions and allowances, why not require to get the leg on first pass and stash it.

Ulla
Some people prefer to wait until they finish Act 5 before they go and retrieve Wirts leg, more specifically for those players who don't use ATMA as an extended stash. As stash space is limited and players might rather use that space for other purposes. For players who use extended stashes then it shouldn't be a problem. It all comes down to personal preference.

@Kefka. Welcome to the tournament :). Remember that once you pick a merc, your not stuck with it for the rest of the game. I plan with Mane to utilize both the Rogue and Act 2 merc along my journey. I'll talk about that more later as i progress with Mane.

The Lord of Darkness

Diabloii.Net Member

Enter Messiah. I will be going SC and will abide by elimination rules.

Code:
Forum Name     Character     Class       Location      Level    Points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi        Mane          Druid       Rogue Camp    1        2
Abelard        Baldemar      Paladin     Rogue Camp    1        2
TLOD           Messiah       Paladin     Rogue Camp    1        2
Kefka        SomeLikeit_Hot  Sorceress   Rogue Camp    1        2
DaD            Paige         Sorceress   The Hole      16       -

Abelard

Diabloii.Net Member

What do you reckon to having a column for number of merc deaths Morathi + Jiansonz? Should have time to start my character today by the way, looking forward to it!

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

What do you reckon to having a column for number of merc deaths Morathi + Jiansonz? Should have time to start my character today by the way, looking forward to it!
Sounds like a very very good idea :thumbup:.

Can the next person to post a table please add another column for Merc Deaths?

Excellet suggestions Abelard, i cant believe i didn't think of it myself :yes:.

Abelard

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum Name     Character     Class       Location      Level    Points   Merc Deaths
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi        Mane          Druid       Rogue Camp    1        2        0
Abelard        Baldemar      Paladin     Stony Field   12       19       0
TLOD           Messiah       Paladin     Rogue Camp    1        2        0
Kefka        SomeLikeit_Hot  Sorceress   Rogue Camp    1        2        0
DaD            Paige         Sorceress   The Hole      16       -        -
The Adventures of Baldemar the Pacifist and Oriana the Fire Rogue

I don't remember how I came to this encampment, but it seems a long time since I left the monastery and my brotherhood behind. Unfortunately there only seems to be one exit from the camp onto a fearsome place called the 'Blood Moor'. My fellow inhabitants seem nice enough though Akara is a little on the strange side, she kept talking about my 'Aura'.. perhaps she is possessed of some evil spirit. I'm not really into killing things so I was rather hoping to get some hired help from Kashya but she told me I wasn't experienced enough to look after someone, gave me a sword and thrust me out onto the Blood Moor! Boy, did that get my blood boiling.

Before I knew it i'd uttered "I will cleanse this wilderness" and had my sword half way through a zombie (it still didn't seem to be dead incidentally). After i'd hacked my way through a couple more and calmed down a little, I felt myself grow stronger and a heavenly might surrounded and imbued me. I began to systematically purge the fallen and undead from the area, collecting wealth as I went. Soon it was time to enter the Den of Evil which Akara has spoken about. I plunged in, following the light from my sword and quickly dispatched the monsters within, including the dreaded Corpsefire who had been terrorising the surrounding area for goodness knows how long. Poor chap seemed a bit blue when I finally got to him though. When I was certain that that forsaken lair was clear, a heavenly light descended from above and I returned to town. But no, clearing a whole landscape of evil and destroying it's heart still didn't make me experienced enough to look after a rogue; who I would incidentally be having to pay for her services.

I passed the walls of the Blood Moor and into the Cold Plains, new enemies and challenges confronted me, but this time I was armed with Holy Fire. I had discovered that if I concentrated on a particular emotion I could create a physical aura which assisted me. Before long, I felt I was strong enough and Kashya finally agreed too. I felt like a merchant as I was asked to choose a rogue from a line-up, but Oriana had a tough, no nonsense look about her and could apparently enchant her arrows with fire so I brought her along. She spent a little while simply throwing arrows at opponents though, before she was ready to admit that she didn't actually have a bow..

Charsi sold me a bow (it's just as well I don't value these mortal possessions) and we hit the road again, I focused on my might to aid Oriana and learnt to channel my energy into a bolt of healing energy. But I vowed not to fight again, the bloodlust had been too consuming and dangerous for me. It was fairly plain sailing from there on, with no real dangers. We had some trouble with Bishibosh, a fallen shaman who was so powerful with fire magic that he was immune to it. After socketing Oriana's bow with the magical affects of an emerald though, he fell to it's poison.

We travelled on and into the cave. Much like the Den, I met a fellow fanatic there, but she didn't seem interested in our cause and so sadly had to be dispatched.. Finally, Oriana had a vendetta to settle with a rogue-gone-bad known as Blood Raven. She didn't last long and after clearing the undead from the Crypt and Mauseleum nearby we decided to rest for the night. What a day!

Rhia

Diabloii.Net Member

Sidekick, the necromancer, is a whole lot of fun so far! While a fishymancer was my first ever SP Patriarch, I'm still learning new things about the skills of a necromancer. First Dim Vision... wow! I never used it before. But this skill is AMAZING! And very much to see a group of demons charging at Sidekick who suddenly stop and wander around when cursed with Dim Vision. ^_^

He has one hard point in Bone Wall which I hope to learn to use effectively, as well. It's rather mana intensive at this point, but I'll get the hang of it.

Sidekick serves a Fire Rogue named Kyle. She can be a bit scatter-brained at times, but Sidekick is learning to gently guide her to where she should be standing and which monsters to pick off first. Bishibosh's camp was a great deal of fun!

The hardest part so far was killing Blood Raven before Sidekick found Kyle. He had no killing skills and so took on a socketed arrow and amplify curse (along with dim vision for the zombies) and finally carved her life away and for that good deed, Kyle agreed to have Sidekick be her aide.

I don't update very often, but I was suprised at how gameplay has gone so far, so I figured I'd introduce Sidekick now... level 13 with Dark Woods up next. :)

Good stuff! :)

Oh, and after playing this game for many years, I never knew you could hire a rogue merc before killing Blood Raven! I guess I never tried. I only learned it becuase its in the rules that one can be hired at level 8. I didn't choose that course, fought Blood Raven at level 7 and obtained Kyle that way, but it's good to know it's an option. :)

Last edited:

ancalagon the black

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum Name     Character     Class       Location      Level    Points   Merc Deaths
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morathi        Mane          Druid       Rogue Camp    1        2        0
Abelard        Baldemar      Paladin     Stony Field   12       19       0
TLOD           Messiah       Paladin     Rogue Camp    1        2        0
Kefka        SomeLikeit_Hot  Sorceress   Rogue Camp    1        2        0
DaD            Paige         Sorceress   The Hole      16       -        -
Ancalagon      Crazy_Nurse   Paladin     InnerCloister 14       42       0
Rhia           Sidekick      Necromancer Dark Woods    13       -        -
Crazy_Nurse is a Fanatical Healer, or will be once he becomes powerful enough. Right now he is settling for being Mighty, and will soon begin Concentrating really hard.

Mostly playing on /p1 for now, since otherwise the Fallen become a problem. When I can get the merc to actually aim at the Shamans, she can one-hit them on /p1, otherwise I can't make any headway.

Maybe it's just because I'm watching her every move for once, but this is the first time I've ever seen a rogue merc cast inner sight four times in a row. Good work Aliza. :coffee:

I'm considering making an EldEldEld bow for her when we go tombing, so I can bump up the player settings a bit.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

@Abelard. Nice update!, very enjoyable to read and good luck!

@Rhia. Welcome to the tournament!

@ancalagon the black. Welcome to the Tourney and the SPF!, i suggest you make an introduction thread so we can get to know you a little more. Also remember to read the stickies/forum rules. Enjoy your stay and the tournament!

Code:
Forum Name    Character         Class      Location     Level   Points  Merc Deaths
Ancalagon     Crazy_Nurse       Paladin    InnerCloister 14      42      0
Abelard       Baldemar          Paladin    Stony Field   12      19      0
Rhia          Sidekick          Necro      Dark Woods    13      -       0
DaD           Paige             Sorc       The Hole      16      -       0
Morathi       Mane              Druid      Rogue Camp    1       2       0
TLOD          Messiah           Paladin    Rogue Camp    1       2       0
Kefka         SomeLikeit_Hot    Sorc       Rogue Camp    1       2       0
Decided to fix up the table abit to fit in Kefka's character name. Remember that the table is ranked by points!

Abelard

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks Morathi, glad you enjoyed it! Ancalagon, are you sure your points are right? Anyway, found some more time to play today so on with the tale!

The Continued Adventures of Baldemar the Pacifist and Oriana the Fire Rogue

This morning Akara revealed that an old friend of hers, Deckard Cain, was imprisoned in the ruins of Tristram. A portal needed to be activated and the site to do so was guarded by a Demon empowered by lightning. With this in mind I focused on resisting that element as we approached him. With the bite taken out of him, Oriana was able to easily dispatch his band of carver demons and we headed on through an underground passage and into the dense Dark Wood to look for a scroll which would allow us to activate the portal to Tristram. The scroll had been left in a tree, and this was guarded by a huge brute known as Treehead Woodfist. He too fell to Oriana's fire, by now we'd found a topaz and sapphire to give her bow a varied elemental punch which shattered her enemies with ease.

With the scroll in hand, we travelled through a waypoint back to the Stony Field and touching the stones in the correct order, opened the portal. I wondered at this point why we weren't able to simply try a few combinations on the stones earlier and save ourselves a lot of trouble. More evidence of Akara's possession :yes:. Into the portal we went, and were met with a fierce opponent, Griswold. He hobbled after us cursing as Oriana peppered him with arrows, but I cleansed his curses with a further focus of my mind. Further into Tristram, we found the body of a man called Wirt. Thinking Akara might be interested, I snapped off his leg and put it in my backpack for safekeeping. After all who knows when that sort of thing might prove useful!

With Cain rescued, we headed back into the dark wood to chase down the evil Countess who lived in the extensive cellars of a tall tower.. On the way we met some more fanatics who couldn't be persuaded of our path. Down in the cellars there were many foes including a ghostly ghost! The countess fell on the other side of a doorway from me and dropped a carved runestone with magical powers which I set aside for later.

In the Tamoe Highland, Oriana got mobbed and had something of a near death experience but a few well placed healing bolts kept her alive. On the way to the Pit, I couldn't believe my eyes when a carver dropped the legendary Buckler of Hsarus. Nearby, a ghostly looking polearm dropped and Oriana got very excited about it, saying something about Lut Gholein and desert guards, so I stashed it for later. I felt slightly cheated, when in the depths of the Pit a seemingly identical buckler dropped. Like saints bones and pieces of the true cross, it seems that these one off items aren't so unique as I had been led to believe!

In the barracks, I achieved a new level of concentration which aided Oriana's attacks further. This helped us when battling the smith in retrieving a powerful hammer which Charsi had left behind previously. She offered to magically imbue an item at any time, but not feeling in want of anything at present I said i'd take her up on that later. Back in the encampment Akara told us about the source of all the evil in this area.. a powerful and ancient demon by the name of Andariel who's powerful poison could kill in seconds. We stocked up on antidote potions and headed into the Catacombs where she had set up a home. In the descent we met yet another fanatic and found a further rune.

Andariel had me quaking in my heavy boots and chased us all around her lair as Oriana shot vainly at her with her bow. Despite all the antidote we were pumped full of, Oriana suffered a paralysing blow of poison (she died :(). Desperately I returned her to town and we managed to revive her ready for another attack on this menacing evil. Oriana was still weak from the poison and suddenly I knew what I had to do. Using myself as a shield Andariel was held still whilst Oriana rained fire on her. After an epic struggle she fell and a column of fire erupted from within. I grabbed the gems which burst from the earth below and we headed back to town. It was then that Warriv said that he was heading to Lut Gholein, a desert town plagued by evil. I thanked Oriana for all her help and headed off into the sunset..

----------------------------------
Oriana at the close of Act 1

Her Bow:

Code:
Gemmed Hunter's Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 2 to 6
Required Dexterity: 28
Required Level: 5
Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x186bba2c
Adds 1-8 lightning damage
Adds 1-3 cold damage over 1 seconds
+19 poison damage over 4 seconds
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Code:
Forum Name    Character         Class      Location     Level   Points  Merc Deaths
Abelard       Baldemar          Paladin    Lut Gholein   20      42      1
DaD           Paige             Sorc       The Hole      16      -       0

Last edited:

DeathAndDecay

Diabloii.Net Member

Abelard, your write-ups are cool, interesting to read, like Morathi sayed.

Code:
DaD           Paige             Sorc       CotM          26      64      2
I'll keep it short for now cause I have not much time, just random thougths.

...shamans wer anoying and it's not a surprise, only thing that helped stop the resurection of fallens was Shiver Armor, it served much like an utility attack, you stand next to a melee enemy and he kills himself, I even wanted to max the three armors, but their damage wouldn't be high, and I don't feel like beying thrashed like a glass tank, so I spend my points to 1pt Enchant and rest to Teleport :badteeth: which is at 9pts now, it is very useful to colect merc(A2 defencive atm), I don't know what I would do with out it, this skill deserves 20 hard points! :shocked:

I tried to keep my merc alive mostly when fighting Andariel, I was tanking that... big woman. It was easy because of Cleglaw's Claw mod which shortens the duration af poison, so she hardly hit me by melee, and when she sprayed these poison clouds, I drank an antidote. Sadly I couldn't keep Amplisa alive, I missed one poison cloud(which was fatal to Amplisa) when looking at the pool of blood.
In A2 Radament killed my merc 1v1, while my Shiver Armor was working 1v1 on Horror(black skeleton...), both deaths could be dodged...

I'll put some screenshots next time, don't have time now. And sorry for this not interesting write-up which was messed up. :yawn::no:

Oh, and here are the finds:
3x Cleglaw's Claw
Death's Guard
Cathan's Rule
Hsarus' Iron Heel
Bloodfist :party: end-game gloves should I say?

PS: Good luck in the tournament everyone, it will be harder!

Caly

Diabloii.Net Member

Ooh, Bloodfist. Nice find there, DaD.

I've surprised myself by deciding to join this tourney. The only ones I've done so far were the MF ones. So, hi! My plan is to hire an A5 barb and be his rogue mercenary: you know, using Cold Arrow, casting Inner Sight, and running around and getting distracted by shiny things. (Okay, realistically I'll probably use Freezing Arrow and Decoy mostly... being distracted by shinies is totally part of the plan though.) I like the idea of using a barb merc because they're more aggressive, so I can follow him around while he kills things, just like a real merc would. I'm just bummed someone already took the name Paige. Hmph! ;)

Code:
Caly          Hannah            Amazon     OuterCloister 14      28      0
Fixed the table to sort by score. :)

So far, so good. I went on P4 up to Blood Raven-- P8 was just too slow. I whacked things with a rare club I found and got to Blood Raven at level 7. She decided to stick with her tried-and-true strategy of hiding behind the zombie army, so I just tried to draw her out periodically by running away from the group and waiting for her to follow me. Then I'd run up and whack at her a few times before she wised up and hid behind the shambling masses again. Yay strategy. (Something I don't often find myself needing at this point in the game since I'm usually either toting gear full of Envy jools, or sporting a level 35+ Enchant.) Eventually she died, and dropped a rare bow. Hey, thanks.

I went back to camp and promptly replaced the rogue Kashya gave me with one 4 levels higher... named Paige, of course. ;) I went back down to P1 after that because Fallen Shamans were just too annoying at anything higher. I've been trying to make full clears but I've skipped a few Fallen-heavy areas because they were too crazymaking. Mostly I'm just trying to get through A1 because things will be easier once I have a non-rogue merc... they're just too flightly to rely on for the entirety of the killing. I have gotten all of my waypoints though, so far. No interesting finds yet, unfortunately-- I've been really unlucky on chipped topazes, so my MF is still pretty low.

That's it for now. Good luck all!

sapere aude

Diabloii.Net Member

I have also decided to give this tournament a go. So please welcome MrMojo :wink:

His notorious habit of coursing at any appropriate and inappropriate time has driven all his teachers insane. So he has no idea of how to raise the dead or even use a sword without severly cutting himself. He is only able to form bones into big, lifeless clumps. His curses have become so powerful though, that they have started weakening his enemies. This makes him a powerful, yet unpleasent ally to anyone willing to hire him.

Things haven't gone all that well until now. I have yet to find a single chipped topaz and also burned 50K on gambling without a single +%MF item.
Dim Vision is as helpful as expected, making those fights against fallen shamen (/P8 all the way) alot easier. I am undecided which hero I will follow, but I'll probably go for style points, so no Desert Mercenary.

Code:
sapere aude   MrMojo		Necro	   Stony Field	 13	 20	 0

Rhia

Diabloii.Net Member

Kyle and Sidekick have made it through to Lut Gholein! Everything was on /p8 except for Andarial herself on /p1. Mostly because Kyle was a big chicken, but what can you do?

I popped a chest in the Catacombs and saw unique gloves on the ground, decided to take my first screen shot, but instead of snapping a picture, it closed down my game. Frustrating! But hey, if Sidekick was meant to have them, he would have picked them up faster! What a bad merc he makes...

Nothing's been too hard so far. I got lucky and Fouldog and his pack were locked safely behind bars where Kyle could easily pick them off. Fouldog has caused more deaths for me than I can name.

So now the duo rests in town as Sidekick decides if he wants to continue following Kyle or choose another adventurer to shadow. :)

Code:
Rhia          Sidekick          Necro      Lut Gholein   20      42      0
sapere aude   MrMojo		 Necro	    Stony Field	  13	  20	 0
Edit: I updated the chart since it was a big jump for Kyle and Sidekick! I don't know why sapere aude's line is a bit off, can't seem to straighten that one out. sorry!

pepitosari

Diabloii.Net Member

Will be trying this with a sorcies, the ability to reposition her merc seems very attractive to me, enchants seems like a nice boost of damage and a way around physical immunes later on, the armors will be helpfull too.
So Serc the Sorcerer Mercenary was born.

HanShotFirst

Diabloii.Net Member

I looked at this thread a few days ago and was immediately interested but really didn’t have much time to play until yesterday. Enter Patsy the Barbarian (I wanted to do something different). Despite completing Act 1 Patsy really isn’t much of anything yet but I suspect he is probably going to evolve into a delightfully dysfunctional Singer (I’m not so sure that six hard points in War Cry really makes him a ‘Singer’ but let’s call it close enough). I’ve been wanting to create a Singer recently but haven’t found an appropriate venue (this probably isn’t it either . . . but again let’s call it close enough).

Patsy found Act 1 to be a bit tedious after defeating Blood Raven (and incidentally hitting level 8 at the same moment). Patsy and Hannah (cold arrow merc) fully cleared the lands of monsters at players 7 and encountered no problems (except for extreme boredom). As everyone else has mentioned, Shaman were annoying . . . that is up until Patsy realized that they could be taunted to the point of distraction . . . from that point on, Shaman were pretty much useless opponents. When Patsy wasn’t taunting Shaman he spent a good deal of time howling at monsters (pretty much for no reason except for the thrill of watching them scatter . . . it doesn’t take much to amuse Patsy. . . probably why he’s only really sidekick material). Unfortunately, Hannah also seemed to be pretty easily distracted. Patsy would bravely leap into the middle of a huge mass of monsters so that Hannah could do her hero thing . . . but Hannah wouldn’t be shooting . . . she’d position, reposition, reposition, shoot . . . and then start the whole process over again . . . which was annoying but acceptable considering that Patsy had hit points to spare but clearly something is going to need to change before the duo gets too far along in their adventures.

And while we’re thinking about adventures: Cain was easy to rescue and the quest reward ring was actually pretty good. The Countess was very easy to defeat even at players 7 (wait! . . players 7!? . . yes, someone was asleep at the keyboard) so naturally her drop was pretty bad :doh: . Andariel was also done at players 7 (why not, everything else had been easy enough and as it turns out, so was Andariel). Patsy and Hannah had to retreat to town twice to get more potions (Patsy was using himself as a meat shield) before Andariel fell to Hannah’s newly found short battle bow of chipped sapphire, emerald and ruby. Andariel’s drop was pretty good but Patsy had high expectations considering he’d cleared every corner of every area wearing 59 mf and found no set/uniques except for this none too useful little item . . . oh well. Here were Patsy’s stats at the end of Act 1.

Code:
Rhia          Sidekick          Necro      Lut Gholein   20      42      0
Hanshotfirst  Patsy             Barbarian  Lut Gholein   20      42      0
sapere aude   MrMojo            Necro      Stony Field   13      20      0

Last edited: