Tournament: Lost In The Wild

Fenrix

Banned
Tournament: Lost In The Wild

The rain beats down upon your sodden brow, the wind howls around your shivering limbs and shrieks unforgivingly in your ears. Huddled beneath the bare bones of a blight-stricken tree, you listen with fear to the sounds of the night, the fearful cackles of demons, the chilling moans of lost souls and the mournful howls of lone wolves. You are lost, without hope of salvation, without hope of comfort nor company. You are lost.
Resolve fills your mind, determined to somehow turn this pitiful situation to your advantage. A whole world waits before you, a destiny unknown, and somehow you are going to find it. As you stand up, the wind dies down, the rain fades away, and the sun peeps over the horizon casting long shadows and glinting off the raindrops clinging to the bare vegetation. The cool, fresh air that you can only find after heavy rain fills your lungs and you smile broadly. You are lost, but you have found a purpose.

This tournament is based loosely upon the All Alone tournament, with a few changes. It follows some very basic rules:

1) Hardcore only, RWM/RRM allowed
2) Any class, any skills, any items
3) No town usage! This means no buying, no selling, no gambling, no healing, no hiring mercs, no repairing, no stash (or extended stash such as ATMA), no identifying with Cain and no town portals. No using waypoints to return to town either.
4) Town portals may be used for two things: returning to town after killing an act boss, or resetting the ancients. I believe there's a point in act 2 where you must return to town, so one can be used there too.
5) If you do not get a tome of identify in act 1 you may buy one in act 2, though you must drop all the scrolls inside it.
5) Single pass untwinked only. Full clears aren't required but are encouraged.
6) No save + exit to avoid death
7) No multiplayer
8) Any /players settings
9) As many entries as you like, though only one alive at any time.
10) You may not use quest rewards attained in town - this means mercs, imbue, socketing, etc. Obviously runes from Hellforge are allowed, but the runes attained in A5 are off-limits. Quests will count as 'finished' for purposes of scoring when the quest reward is available, though you may not redeem it. The only exceptions to this are: skill point rewards, the potion of health in act 3 and the scroll of resist in act 5.
11) If you accidentally redeem a quest reward, you must drop the item attained immediately, or, if a merc, endeavour to get him/her killed as soon as possible.

Scoring will be as follows: 2 points per quest completed and waypoints attained, 5 points per act finished, 10 points per difficulty finished, -1 points for each level you gain.

Probably the hardest thing in this tournament will be managing inventory space... the cube will be a huge advantage here, but one of your biggest assets will be a 4-slot belt...
And remember, don't go into situations before you are ready! There will be no retreat in some areas, such as the Ancients.
Hopefully this will also give you a reason to use those useless ethereal items too :D

Good luck! :thumbup:

Code:
Alive Characters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum name    Char Name       Class       Level    Act     WP     Score

Last edited:

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: Lost In The Wild

Would Join this but, you have taken away a rule from All Alone tournaments. The rule abouts summons, we all know a fishy is not gear dependant at all. Thus it will be hella easy to make a summon necro and do this...

Fenrix

Banned

Well, if someone wants to make a fishymancer, they can. It'll be boring, and not really very stylish. There's no true winner in this tournament; the points system is more of an indication of how far a player has got. The whole idea of this is to challenge yourself, and, well... no matter the situation, a fishymancer is never really challenging. Winning is just a bonus... bragging rights.

Also, what summons rule? I can't find it anywhere in the All Alone tournaments, and summoners were fairly common in those tournies...

(also fixed the table to include 'class')

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

I restarted Una, the assassin I was trying out. On scoring I counted the Rogue WP, is that right?

Code:
Alive Characters
Forum name    Char Name     Class       Level  Act   WP           Score
JayeM         Una           Assassin    6      I     Cold Plains    0

AeroGear

Diabloii.Net Member

Yep that is correct. And so is the score:thumbup:

I'll be starting my own SIN soon, wouldnt want you winning by default!

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

Probably the hardest thing in this tournament will be managing inventory space...
Absolutely! Leaving Rares and gems lying around is just against my nature. I'm still picking up most gold though I have no use for it. And my inventory is full of unidentified jewelry and charms...in serious need of identify scrolls, which seem to be avoiding me. Ack! Claws are also avoiding me. When I play a non-assassins I find altogether too many of them. Only have 3 katars (one on switch for when one of my main ones wears out. Una uses traps as much as possible for killing, so as not to batter her claws. I look forward to gray items I can use because they don't have to be identified and I can use up some of my chips.

@AeroGear: Come on in and don't let my post discourage you. :)

Code:
Alive Characters
JayeM         Una           Assassin    13     I     Dark Wood     -1

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

Absolutely! Leaving Rares and gems lying around is just against my nature.
I've started a summoning druid, and am about as far as you are in your post. For now, I'm using id scrolls on jewelry and charms only. I try to find socketed armors, helms and scepters to toss gems into. Rares get the cold shoulder for now, but the auto-gold-click built into my wrist is very hard to override for me too. I still pick up the majority of the gold.. this game was just not designed for not picking up loot!

Greizer

Diabloii.Net Member

Erm... Your items will break..? This is an interesting idea! I'd try it, but I haven't got my discs at home and cannot install (I actually removed D2 from my home computer so I couldn't play so much of it :whistling:).

Sorc would be another good option - your spells cannot break. But it might get *interesting* with the potion situation at the beginning... :coffee:

icbat

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Alive Characters

Dead Characters
icbat         bearGrillz    Assassin    4      I     Underground Passage    4
I fail at HC so hard. First tournament, really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice to see some more people joining...I guess I won't win by default after all. :) FatFree, you didn't put yourself in the table. icbat, are you going to enter again?

Too soon for another update for Una, she's just at 15th level now and has rescued Cain. She's gone from not enough ID scrolls to too many...when it rains, it pours! I'm sure she'll use them sometime, but in the meantime it's taking up inventory space. If she lives that long, the Cube will be a very welcome addition.

smilts

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Alive Characters
Smilts        Crafty-Pete   Pally        1     I 
Dead Characters
icbat         bearGrillz    Assassin    4      I     Underground Passage    4

Figured out of boredom at 5 in the morning or close that I would give this a try....

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

All right, time for a real update. Schlinkye the summoning druid just reached the outer cloister and made it to lvl 18 clearing the second false courtyard.

Notable finds:
Wolf Head with +2 Spirit Wolves, +1 Raven
Grand Charm with +6 life, 12% lightning resist
(total 20 life, 10% fire resist, 12% light resist from charms)
Ring with 9% MF (with chippied armor a total of 28% MF)

This is the first time I've ever put a point into Carrion Vine, but I know I'll need the corpse disposal in the long run, and it does a nice job keeping my bulb topped up.

My weapon is an ethereal scepter socketed with a chipped emerald. Second slot is a wooden leg. In inventory is a stack of ethereal throwing knives.

So far, I've been keeping six identify scrolls around at all times, using any extras on amulets and rings and druid pelts. I can not wait to condense those into two squares once I get indoors and find a nice little red book.

Code:
Alive Characters
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum name   Char Name      Class       Level  Act  WP                 Score
FatFree      Schlinkye      Druid       18     I    Outer Cloister      2
JayeM        Una            Assassin    13     I    Dark Wood          -1
Smilts       Crafty-Pete    Pally        1     I 

Dead Characters
icbat        bearGrillz     Assassin     4     I    Undergrnd Passage   4

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member

Excited to try this out again. I'm giving up on all my attempts at lightning characters, and this time I think I'll try a Fireclaw druid (I was thinking of a druid summoner, but FatFree beat me to it!). I think I've done one Fireclaw druid before, and he got obliterated at NM ancients, so hopefully this one goes better.

Code:
Alive Characters
Smilts       Crafty-Pete    Pally        1     I    Rouge Camp
skoolbus     Scorch         Druid        1     1    Rouge Camp

Dead Characters

Numrion

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi! My first post on this forum and I just recently found it a few days ago. I just got back into playing Diablo 2 and figured I'd give this Tournament a try since I've never done anything quite like it.

Quick question before my druid (not decided on tree yet, probably elemental summoner) begins his journey; How do I do that Code thing with character etc? :)

Off I go!

AeroGear

Diabloii.Net Member

A new player has joined the game, diablo's minions grow stronger!
To add yourself to the table just quote the previous poster and remove the "quote" part, it will only leave the code part which is the table in itself. Then you procceed to add yourself to the table.

Introducing Samus the bladefury/trapper. Not picking anything makes for speedy clears, I admit I enjoy it altough it will obviously slow down at some point! Bit lucky earlier on, got a gem shrine altough I only had an emerald to upgrade, Den of evil gave me 2 chipped topaz which were promptly socketed in a leather armor. The irony of stacking MF when scrolls of ID are scarce but I cant help it. Free extra slot because assassins are too cool to need keys :yes:

Code:
Alive Characters
AeroGear     Samus          Assassin     6     I    Cold Plains         0
Dead Characters
I'll edit this later as I intend to make a first pass up to outer cloister WP. BTW I have a question regarding quest rewards, does it extend to rings obtained from saving Cain/Gibdinn as well? Just curious, I know the weapons given by Anya are so I guess same applies to said rings.

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

BTW I have a question regarding quest rewards, does it extend to rings obtained from saving Cain/Gibdinn as well?
You ARE in fact allowed to use rings from quest rewards, but you are NOT allowed to go into town and talk to the people who want to give these rewards to you.

It shouldn't be too tough.. there's no reason to talk to Anya after the quest is done anyway, same with the other quests as far as I remember.

Numrion

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks! DarkTraveler is working to stay alive now and to defeat all evil in the world!

I forgot the scoring part on first page so I'll leave it as a ? this update but will look into it before next one.

Question regarding Cain, are you allowed to go to town and show Akara the scroll? or when does the quest count as "completed"?

EDIT: That didn't last too long, guess I need to practice some more and getting used to playing HC again. Might rejoin later today

Code:
Alive Characters
Dead Characters
Numrion      DarkTraveler   Druid        7     1    Black Marsh          ?

Last edited:

FatFree

Diabloii.Net Member

I did in fact bring the scroll into town, because I don't let nothing get between me and my precious points of xp! I didn't use a tp though or buy anything, and the reason this was ok was because talking to Akara also gave me my skill point reward from the first quest, which is specifically allowed in the rules.

AeroGear

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I spoke to Akara right after Den of evil anyway, getting a free heal didnt really do anything as potions and shrines are plentiful. I dont plan on revisiting her until I fetch the scroll though.

Point taken on the rings, if I remember correctly turning in the gidbinn doesnt give the ring right away, you have to talk to him a second time so I'll avoid doing it.

What about cow level hmm? I dont think I want to carry around that leg for 4 acts though ^^

Last edited:

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

@AeroGear: I have a vivid mental picture of your assassin Samus fighting a dungeon full of Metroids. :) They would make an interesting new monster for D2. And yes, I throw away many more potions than I use.

Una is in the Outer Cloister after clearing the Tower, Hole, and Pit. Blade Sentinel is very helpful...she hasn't had any real problems. Yet...

Code:
Alive Characters
JayeM        Una            Assassin    17     I    Outer Cloister      3
Dead Characters
Numrion      DarkTraveler   Druid        7     1    Black Marsh         ?