Tournament: Lethal Weakness

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Tournament: Lethal Weakness

Shannon thumbed the runes in her staff nervously. Out there, beyond those doors... Andariel was waiting. And Shannon was all too aware of her own lethal vulnerability to poison damage. How to survive?

Idea
You pick one resistance out of the four. Lightning, Fire, Cold or Poison. That resistance CANNOT be raised above it's basic starting value. So 0 in Normal, -40 in Nightmare, and -100 in Hell.

Basic Rules
-RWM/RRM allowed
-HC only
-Single pass only.
-Untwinked.
-All quests and all waypoints must be completed/tagged in each act.
The Horadric Malus/Kill Shenk the Overseer/Kill Nihlatak quests are considered complete when the quest is done. You may leave the reward open if you wish.
-Full clears are not required, but they are encouraged.
-ATMA/GoMule is allowed.
-Any player setting allowed. No p1 killing, p8 chest popping of course.
-Version 1.10/1.11(b) only.

Tourney Rules
- All characters allowed.
- Pick 1 resistancetype. As mentioned in idea,that resistance can NEVER
gain any + to it.
- If you chose cold, thawing potions are not allowed. Neither is the Half Freeze duration or Cannot be Frozen mod.
- If you chose poison, antidotes are not allowed. The poison length reduced mod is also not allowed in that case.
- A shrine that grants resistance to your lethal weakness is not allowed.
- Mala's scroll cannot be used.
- The mod Magic Damage Reduction is not allowed.
- Any mod that grants + to all resistance types is not allowed.
- The lethal weakness resistance may not be absorbed either.
- All mercenaries are allowed. Mercenaries are excempt from your weakness.

Skill rules
- No summons allowed. This means the necromancer cannot use his summoning skills, the amazon can't use valkyrie or Decoy, the assassin can't use the master or the warrior, the Druid can't use the wolves and the grizzly. The druid may summon a spirit or one of the passive vines(the life and mana regenerating ones). He may also use ravens.
- Any skill that grants a + to your lethal weakness is not allowed.
To sum them up: The barbarian cannot use Natural Resistance. The assassin cannot use Fade, the Paladin cannot use his resist aura of the lethal weakness (the others ARE allowed, however). Nor can he use Salvation unless he has chosen poison. The Druids can't use Cyclone Armor, unless they chose poison as their lethal weakness.
- The Paladin may not use Cleansing if he has chosen poison.

Scoring and winning
I think this tournament is quite hard, and I would like the scores to be properly impressive to reflect this.
- +1 per level.
- +1 per waypoint
- +2 per Quest solved.
- +5 per Act in Normal, +10 in Nightmare, +20 in Hell.
- +50 for making Destroyer, +100 for making Conqueror, and +200 for making Guardian. This is in addition to the added points for completing act V.
- The Cow level is optional and does not 'belong' to any given act. Remember to save Wirt's leg if you wish to clear it!

Good luck to all participants! I have a feeling you might need it!

Last edited:

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: Lethal Weakness

Just a note its Salvation that increases all Elemental Resistances (not poison) I assume this would be ok if poison was the weakness. Conviction is the aura that reduces elemental resistances.

Jason Maher

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum name     Char. name     Char. type    Weakness    lvl   Waypoint   Score
Jason Maher    Drauin         Fury wolf     Lightning     1   Rogue Camp     2
I'll be the first to dip my toe in. Because it's late and I'm feeling mad, I'm going to attempt to pull off a character with no resists, but should I chicken out at some point, I'll nominate Lightning as my weakness. My aim is to dish it out faster and harder than I take it in - hence wolf + fury, with fire claws and rabies as support skills. (Note: I'm assuming the Rogue camp waypoint and level 1 count for scoring purposes, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oneofakind

Diabloii.Net Member

Please welcome "toast", the bone necro vulnerable to fire. I predict death to normal Diablo, if I get by the act 3 shaman.

Code:
Oneofakind      Toast         bone necro   Fire            1   Rogue Camp     2

Jason Maher

Diabloii.Net Member

You know, I did toss up the idea of a Bone Necro, and I also tossed up the name "Toast". As they say, great minds think like mine... ;)

huangfusong

Diabloii.Net Member

Sure, why not

Code:
Huangfusong    Itburns       frenzy barb   Fire            1   Rogue Camp    2

huangfusong

Diabloii.Net Member

This might seem like a dumb question, but how do you handle logoff/logon for this type of tournament given the other rules are so strict?

I mean, say I play from start through screen 2. Now, I can either play and clean screen 2, then tap Stony fields waypoint without killing anything, or play normally and "guesstimate" how many mons I should kill in Stony Fields next login...

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

Usually most people just clear an entire area and just run through it at players 1 at the start of the next game killing as little as possible. But, if you do get in a jam then of course fight your out; the experience gained from killing thing at players 1 is minimal and of course don't pick anything up.

Interesting idea for a tourney, I would consider joining but the heptad tournament is taking up all my d2 time.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

First off, welcome to both huangfusong and one of a kind :grin:

A bone necro actually should be doing reasonably ok, allthough you chose a dreadful weakness :p I'd not just worry about diablo. I'd be careful around the council in act 3, and the durance lvl 3 as well... Those blood lords hurt even WITH fire resistance! :p

Huangfusong, A frenzy babr might also do fine for a while. Melee builds have problems of course, but the Battle orders should be extremely useful. As for your other question, what bladejj says is a fair solution. Plan which waypoint you intend to reach, clean out the entire area and tag it, then quit. When you next logon, just make a dash for the dungeon (if it's there and not cleaned out yet) or the exit of the level.

huangfusong

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Huangfusong    Itburns       2xSwing barb   Fire            10   Stony Fields    16
[/QUOTE]

Not sure how often I should update, but every 10 levels seems about right.

Got my first rare from the Den of Evil superunique, a decent sash. Had trouble with the 2nd floor boss archer of the cave - not used to hardcore! Luckily I had enough potions.

Blood Raven dropped some sweet rare gloves, but they had fire resist, so Gheed is wearing them now :(

Since I already have a frezny barb, and it was no point loss to switch now, I'm probably going to stick with double swing as my main attack to mix it up. I'll think about that magic-damage (berzerk?) skill for P-immunes later on, if I get that far.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum name     Char. name   Char. type    Weakness    lvl   Waypoint     Score
Jason Maher    Drauin       Fury wolf     Lightning   1     Rogue Camp     2
Oneofakind     Toast        bone necro    Fire        1     Rogue Camp     2
Huangfusong    Itburns      2xSwing barb  Fire        10    Stony Fields  16
Merlin         Coldylocks   Blizzsorc     Cold        1     Rogue Camp     2
So, added myself for when I enter, but for now, she'll stay in the rogue camp. Been a while since I used a sorc, and I never made a pure cold one, and it should be fun for the whole of two acts, because I'm sure Duriel on p8 is going to toast... well, wrong choice of words.. to ice her. :grin:

huangfusong

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, so we can't change difficulty between areas? I know the part about not using p8 to pop chests, but I figured I could play on 8 except for bosses (as much as that would pass up an opportunity for great items)

huangfusong

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Forum name     Char. name   Char. type    Weakness    lvl   Waypoint     Score
Jason Maher    Drauin       Fury wolf     Lightning   1     Rogue Camp     2
Oneofakind     Toast        bone necro    Fire        1     Rogue Camp     2
Huangfusong    Itburns      2xSwing barb  Fire        21    Stony Fields  47
Merlin         Coldylocks   Blizzsorc     Cold        1     Rogue Camp     2
Going smoother now that I have 2 plain life-leech magic maces. I found artic binding, first s/u item. And then crushflange shortly after, which was perfect for my mace build, but it has FR :(

Andariel was no match for me, she's toast. Didn't cough up anything useful but some rare boots tainted by FR.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, sure you can change difficulties. It's just that I'm too pigheaded to even consider it usually. The ONLY place in normal I change difficulty to p1 is when I enter lvl 5 of the tower. All other areas I run at p8. But this doesn't mean you, or any other more sensbile guy, can't change player settings when you want to.

Docturnal

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of this tourney, but I dont have enough time to enter. I do have one tip for the guys with fire weakness: Find an andariels visage. This allows you to wear that godly item that happens to have resist fire or resist all.
Its easy... I have found 3 in the last week. (meph running 2-5hrs a day)

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of this tourney, but I dont have enough time to enter. I do have one tip for the guys with fire weakness: Find an andariels visage. This allows you to wear that godly item that happens to have resist fire or resist all.
Its easy... I have found 3 in the last week. (meph running 2-5hrs a day)
lol good idea. Although with this tourney being a single passed and untwinked I highly doubt anyone will find one.