Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament idea: the lazy apprentice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jason Maher, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Tournament idea: the lazy apprentice

Thought I'd throw this out there for some feedback first. This started as an idea for a new build, and then it occurred to me that it might be nice to invite others to participate in my madness.

The key idea is to play an "apprentice" character, who through laziness has never bothered to extend themselves beyond basic knowledge of their craft. They are perfectly happy to master the basics,and leave it at that. Translated, this means playing a character who uses only those skills available at level 1. I may be persuaded to be nice and allow the level 6 skills as well, but I prefer sticking to level 1. I'm thinking of allowing higher level skills to be invested in purely as synergies.

This is perfectly wonderful if you enjoy being a Dentist, not so if you like chucking magic hammers around or doing lovely little pirouettes with long pointy weapons.

A suggested list of rules:

1. SC. Points awarded for way points activated, players setting used to complete an act, areas cleared. Points deducted for dying, re-runs, escaping a battle.
    2. Untwinked, muling off allowed (if you happen to find Tyrael's Might or a Zod), but not muling on.
    3. RRM and RWM ok.
    4. Re-runs allowed for a points penalty.
    5. You can equip and use any item you buy or find at your pleasure.
    5a. Exception - if an item grants a passive skill that is not a level 1 skill, it may not be used (e.g. Iron Skin). Skill charges are ok if not used.
    5b. Possible exception - if an item gives ctc a non-level-1 skill, it may not be used.
    5c. Clarification - if an item grants a non level 1 skill (e.g. Trang Oul's complete set), these skills may not be used.
    5d. You may use a level 1 skill from another class if granted by an item.
    6. Full clears not required. Bonus points awarded for full clears and quest completion.
    7. You may only ever use a skill available at level 1.
    List of level 1 skills:
    Ama: Jab, Inner Sight, Critical Strike, Magic Arrow, Fire Arrow.
    Ass: Tiger Strike, Dragon Talon, Claw Mastery, Psychic Hammer, Fire Blast.
    Bar: Howl, Find Potion, Sword Mastery, Axe Mastery, Mace Mastery, Bash.
    Dru: Firestorm, Werewolf, Lycanthropy, Ravens, Poison Creeper.
    Nec: Raise Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery, Teeth, Bone Armor, Amplify Damage.
    Pal: Prayer, Resist Fire, Might, Sacrifice, Smite.
    Sor: Ice Bolt, Frozen Armor, Charged Bolt, Fire Bolt, Warmth.
    7a. The following skills are allowed points purely as a synergy (they may never be used). One point may be placed in any prerequisite for these synergy skills:
    Ama: Exploding Arrow (for Fire Arrow).
    Ass: Shock Web, Charged Bolt Sentry, Wake of Fire, Lightning Sentry, Wake of Inferno, Death Sentry (for Fire Blast).
    Bar: Stun, Concentrate (for Bash).
    Dru: Molten Boulder, Fissure (for Firestorm).
    Nec: Summon Resist (for Raise Skeleton); Bone Wall, Bone Prison (for Teeth and Bone Armor); Bone Spear, Bone Spirit (for Teeth).
    Pal: Redemption, Fanaticism (for Sacrifice).
    Sor: Frost Nova, Ice Blast, Glacial Spike, Blizzard, Frozen Orb, Cold Mastery (for Ice Bolt); Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor (for Frozen Armor); Lightning, Lightning Mastery (for Charged Bolt); Fireball, Meteor (for Firebolt).
    8. Anything I've forgotten.

Let me know what you think, especially regarding any particular class being advantaged or disadvantaged by their limited skill choices.

2. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

Re: Tournament idea: the lazy apprentice

Well, Assassins and Necros would definitely have serious advantages. I think that allowing lvl 6 skills might even the field a little bit more. Seems like an interesting concept though.

mv

3. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

I was just going to say, looks like there would be a lot of Fishy-builds in this one. Does seem like an interesting idea. I agree with MV, level 6 skills would help level the playing field. You could then have things like Poison or Multishot zons, Leap Barbs, Frost Nova Sorcs, Bowler Druids, Werebears, Summon Druids, Holy Fire Palas, et al.

4. Lady bug

Lady bug IncGamers Member

Sounds like fun. It could give some alternative caracters. I like the pretty open rules.

And I agree with the others that lev 6 skills would make more different builds.

5. Charlo

Charlo IncGamers Member

yea lvl 6 skills and no re-runs sounds good to me

6. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

I've thought about building a char like this before, sounds like a fun tourny.

Edit: But I'd definately play HC.

7. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

When I first started reading this I thought that there was no way this was going to work. But after reading through the all the level 1 skills it definitely seems possible. There were a couple classes that look like they would be viable. I would think that most people would prefer the traditional set of tournament rules. Like: HC, no reruns, full clears optional, things of that nature.

8. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Cheers for the input. Whether I go level 1 only or level 1 and level 6 (might make it level 6 skills usable on reaching Hell only), rule 7a is simplified to: put as many points in whatever skills you want, however you can only use level 1 skills (or level 6), and so putting points in anything other than a synergy or pre-req would be rather stupid.

As for traditional tournament rules, I'm the sort of person who likes to do things differently, just because. Hence the idea of a points penalty for deaths in SC rather than the bog standard HC route. If you really want to play a HC tournamnet, there are plenty of options. I could possibly set it up as two tournaments within a tournament,or two ladders, a points ladder for SC players, and a last man standing HC ladder (points for tie breaking Guardians only). So you can play either-or, or both.

Also, my idea about points regarding esc exits and players settings is that basically you can be as cheesy as you like with these things, but there is a penalty for doing so. Escape exiting avoids the death penalty, but you have to risk either escape exiting again or dying anyway, so you could end up losing more points in the long run. The players setting would work on bonus points for whatever the lowest setting you used was in any completed act. So if you decide to be cheesy and /players1 the monsters and /players8 the chests, no bonus points for you.

(As an aside, I have had the idea to suggest a cheese tournament, awarding style points for the cheesiest play that stays within the rules, but I'm not sure it'd get off the ground.)

I also realise there'd be lots of Skeli-mancers, but given the lack of Golems, Mages, and Revives, and the general weakness of non-supported skeletons, I'm not sure it'd be as strong a build as it looks at first glance.

I've never played an Assassin, so I have no feeling for how under- or over-powered she would be next to other classes.

I also think the Druid with maxed Werewolf and Lycanthropy would be a tough hombre to deal with.

I think the Sorceress would be the weakest if I didn't allow Synergies, but given the general lack of synergies in the Barb and Zon skill trees, I think they'll probably be the hardest to play (I've often wondered why the heck don't MA, MS, GA an Strafe synergise in some manner? and why don't the 3 cold/fire arrow skills all cross-synergise?).

I will rethink including level 6 skills, because the basic idea was to take the cookie cutter level 24 and 30 uber-skill based builds out of the equation, and force players to consider using the "crappy" level 1 skills that no-one ever uses (like firebolt, magic arrow, and teeth). Well I should say, no-one ever uses but me, as I am playing a Dentist, and have played a heap of MA-based Zons. I'm considering trying a Ravens-Poison Creeper based Druid just for the heck of it. Not sure he'll be in any way useful past normal, but may be fun for awhile. (This was actually the build idea that inspired the tournament suggestion, which in itself was inspired by the masochism of superdave's legendary poverty Zon.)

9. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I like. Especially if one can build it so that after the tourney is complete it can carry on as a normal character. I reckon I would go current rules as a dentist. That way once the tourney is over I could still use him but just start using his other skills as well.

10. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

I was thinkign the same thign Cius, but with a kicksin. Max fireblast (back up skill) and Dtalon and then death sentry as a synergy for use after the tourny. Not the ideal kicksin build but eh I like variety.

11. Charlo

Charlo IncGamers Member

Unlocking level 6 skills on reaching hell sounds good