Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament idea: Swashbuckler

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Merlin The Wizzard, May 7, 2008.

1. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Tournament idea: Swashbuckler

OK, hear me out. This one is really freewheeling, really.
    I have launched two tournaments before, both were very strict (according to the players). Time for a change then?

Swashbuckling Ahoy

Let's bring the pirates into the game, shall we? The idea is more or less a roleplaying one. Pick a char, pick a name, pick a build, make some screenies...

The basic idea is that you take on the part of a swashbuckler. If there is any unclarity of the term, just think of the early 60's errol flynn movies, and the old Robin Hood movies, the three musketeers et all.

Basically, you are free to play however you want. All that is required is that you try to fit the role of swashbuckler as faithfully as possible. Sell it to the people, folks. So make screenshots, write fun progress reports. Pick a good name, weapon, equipment. Explain what you pick.

Since it is a tournament, there should be some kind of winner. Therefore, I submit the following idea.
    You will be rated on:
    1) The name you pick and explanation behind it (5%)
    2) The character class, skills picked and the explanation behind it (10%)
    3) The quality of the screenshots (25%)
    4) The progress reports (50%).
    5) How far you come (or finish it completely).

I think it would be most fair if all participants got to vote, and no one can vote for themselves. Stay true to the theme. If you pick a character class and skill build that are wholly inappropriate in my opinion, I will ask you to pick something else. Basically, a summoner build is out boys and girls.

If there is animo for this tourney, and a definition is desired, I will cook one up for you.

2. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Re: Tournament idea: Swashbuckler

Sounds like a fun idea!
    Is this going to be twinked or untwinked? If I happen to have a stroke of genius, I might actually join this one (or maybe I should finish my Bountyhunter first?:rolleyes:).
    But I'm already looking forward to reading all the stories:grin:

3. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Not my cup of tea, but good luck if you go with it :thumbsup:.

4. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

I probably wouldn't do it, but I think a Barbarian Frenzyer with two scimitars would work pretty well.

5. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

Nope, Its all gonna be about the druid with a bunch of parrots on his shoulder

6. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

I like it but then Im into the whole swash buckling thing. other than scimitar which for me is a must I have a few ideas of both builds and cool screenies to fit the them so if it gets started Im in.

7. corax

corax IncGamers Member

who's up for the buxom serving wench.

i love this idea. you can more than likely count corax in:thumbsup: OORAH!

8. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Boys and girls, the sky and your imagination are the limit here. If you get a raving mad swashbuckling idea involving a plate encased Maul wielding Werebear, and you can sell it to me (and, by extension, to all the other players), you might even get bonus points for creativity :p

Oh, by the way, it's my idea to let everyone go at it untwinked and HC. To get the idea of beginning a swashbuckling career and all that :p Besides, since the total progression made is also factored in the score, everybody should have the same chances from the get go.

And gender is not an issue (there SHUD be more female swashbucklers imho). And when creating your character, you can also think about what goal you wish to reach.

Some examples :
    - A pirate captain wanna be who wants to gather a decent treasure for his chest (perfect gems).
    - A kindly Rogue who wishes to collect as many tiles as possible for any future children to learn the runic alfabet with (as many different runes as possible)
    - The mighty Thundergod's Visor (or some other nice piece of equipment) to impress daddy/potential daddy in law/potential bride/potential groom
    - Your unyielding hatred for Snooty Bellows, the horrific moo-cow slayer of your family, has caused you to vow the genocide of all moo-cows, in order to avenge the dead.

But since protecting the world from dreadful evil monstrosities is also quite swashbuckly (think Sinbad y'all), you don't HAVE to come up with a different goal...
    But good goals are part of a good background, and good backgrounds will undoubtedly reverbrate through the entire progress reports, making them an even more entertaining read. :p