Tournament idea: Lethal Weakness

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Tournament idea: Lethal Weakness

Well, just a toss in really, to make sure I don't lose my train of though and also give you guys some incentive to talk about it.

Ok, here goes.

- HC/Single pass/1.10 or 1.11(b)/ATMA allowed/RWM+RRM allowed.

1 Resistance of choice can NEVER gain any +resist.
The resistances to choose from are of course : Poison/Fire/Lightning/Cold.

Magic Damage reduced by X is forbidden.
The resistance scroll from Mala cannot be used.
This pretty much guarantees that 1 resist stays at 0 in normal, -40 in nightmare and -100 in Hell.

Further catch:
If you choose POISON, 3 stat points for every level must go into energy.
If you choose LIGHTNING or FIRE, 3 stat points per level must go into Vitality.
If you choose COLD, 2 stat points should go to Strength, 2 stat points should go to dex per lvl.

No other limitations...

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament idea: Lethal Weakness

Not sure why you would want to place a stat restriction on players who choose the two toughest options (fire and lightning)... the points in vitality seem like a no-brainer, but why limit their play style at all if they're going to be so brave/foolhardy?

I would also consider limiting builds somewhat... since plenty of people have done very well with naked necromancers, for instance, this would be a cakewalk for them (and for several other builds as well).

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm assuming that skills that increase the forbidden resistance (salvation, single resist, fade, natural resist) are not allowed. Also would skills like bone armor or cyclone armor be available to use?

To make it tougher, maybe the resistance restriction would go for offensive skills as well?

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@Skunk - As per your first, I wanted the stat restriction/resistance link in there. And you are going to need that vitality to make a build like that work anyways :p. But perhaps 2 points vitality per level? That might be better...
As far as the second goes, I think you are quite right. How about this... no summons (this includes decoy). That pretty much limits naked necros, right?

@bladejj - I was seriously thinking about it, but ehm... Well... Given the primary tourney description, I can be pretty simple here, and simply repeat it. NEVER any + to the chosen resistance. I'm not sure about the sorceress armors, but if they give any general +resist, they are out. If they give only +cold, they are out if you chose cold... As far as the other go... Cyclone armor stops magical damage right? And Bone armor the other way around?

If I remembered that correctly, then Bone armor is allowed, and cyclone not. Otherwise, they are both out. I wont limit the offensive elemental attack, because to me, a lethal weakness has little to do with your offensive capabilities.

Also, for poison and cold, rules must be made for antidote and thawing potions. Actually, as far as thawing potions go, they are allowed only when found in the field(so no buying) and htey may only be used to alleviate the slowing effect of a cold attack (so only after a battle when slowed).
For antidotes, you may also only use the potions found in field. Only to combat the effects of being poisoned, not as a prebuff. These restrictions only apply of course if either poison or cold is the chosen lethal weakness...

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Any limitation on char class/type?

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Skunk mentioned a similar question. For now, I want to limit it to no summons...
Other then that, not really for now. But I am more then willing to make further adaptions, should people see additional problems... The way it stands, it's a pretty tough deal imho.

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the biggest problem with this is that you are basically mixing two tournaments together -- it'll be the "fear of fire (and lightning)" tournament mixed with the "3 stat points must go to energy" tournament. Poison is merely a nuisance...

If I were you, I would just pick either fire or lightning to base the tournament on, or allow players to pick one of those two. Or perhaps you could disallow both!

The no MDR rule is a good idea, since that balances out the two elements by making the Summoners' fire wall and the Flayers' infernos much scarier.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I needed some way to even out the resistance imbalance so to speak.

But you(and Skunk) might have a point here... Perhaps I should just let the excess rules (stat restrictions/antidotes/thawing potions) fall off... I'll think about it and come back on the issue tomorrow.

Cius

Diabloii.Net Member

I would also ban cyclone armour and any other shield that can absorbe elemental attacks otherwise we will see tons of Windy's in this tournament. I know that is what I would pick with the current restrictions. I would also not discount cold resist. Mephisto killed my blizzard sorc yesterday with a single cold orb when she was on -46 cold resist. I know that lightning and fire are more dangerous but there are also plenty of cold mages, and cold enchanted bosses out there.

wakiki

Diabloii.Net Member

True, Cius. All it takes it one brain fart vs a CE boss.

Merlin, if you add cold resist in one way or another, you should just ban Thawing potions altogether, imo. It totally skews things, since cold is already less important than fire and lit.