Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament Idea: Fashion Plates

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wildjinn, Mar 9, 2004.

1. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Tournament Idea: Fashion Plates

I've had the idea for this tournament for awhile, and I'd like to organize it since the MFO is ending. There's been a little discussion about colors of items lately, and I think it might be fun to create a tournament in which each player chooses a character class and a color group: Red/Black, Blue/Purple, Yellow/Green, Gold/Silver.

You create your HC character and, as the game proceeds, you must play with items in the color group that you have chosen. For example, if you chose red, you could use a plain, socketed armor with rubies in it, which would shift the palette to red. If you chose blue, you could wear nova shield items. (for example). As soon as you find an item of your color, you must wear it. The only difference is that an enchantress would be allowed to pick any color weapon, since enchant will turn their item red.

The most fun part about this will be the collection of screenshots at the end. :)

I'd like some input on the color schemes. Should they be more separated? Red, Black, Blue, Purple, Yellow, Green, Gold, Silver? I grouped them on the basis of ease for characters, but maybe it should be made a little tougher.

I also need some criterion on which to base the end of the tournament. Guardian seems a bit far. Any suggestions? Maybe a style point scale?

2. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

an assassin's venom skill ill turn a weapon green (and I assume a Necro's Poison dagger does the same) so that should fall into the same catagory as a sorc's enchant.

3. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Enchant changing colors of weapons is somewhat vague...it more like adds some bright red somewhere, but doesn't always color the entire weapon, for example Brighid's Phase Blade here is Enchanted. In game, the weapon still looks pretty much blue-ish, with just a bright red hilt.

4. assmuffin

assmuffin IncGamers Member

THE BLACK KNIGHT ALWAYS TRIUMPHS...unless he is wear Steelshade and Corpsemourn...

5. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

*hopes to see a frenzy barb with a vampire gaze, levithian and duel shadow fangs :lol: *

robin

6. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

and
    Lenymo
    tearhaunch
    gloves with [insert affix with green color] and then pic invent=)

Edit: reminds me of a .09 ama build called "Stormtrooper". all in white=)

7. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Are we only talking about outward colors or inventory colors? Because Shadowfang isn't green in the inventory, just on the character. If it's outward, then would any gloves/boots/belt be acceptable? Also, what about shapeshifters? Would a yellow-sorceress be able to use frost armors, since they look blueish? Lotsaquestions :lol:

Sounds fun though.

8. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but yellow and gold would be equivalent in-game...

9. Liter Soul

Venom Ward would be Gold i f I'm not mistaken, and it looks very, very different from a PTopaz breast plate. Try 'em on a Necro.

10. wildjinn

Yeah. This is just a testing post to see if anyone were interested. The gloves, belts, and boots should all match. I mean, someone might not be able to tell from far away, but from close up... :) And the yellow/gold is for the reason already cited. A ptopaz armor will look different from a hit recovery speed armor ingame, as far as i remember.

Would anyone be on board if this idea got off the ground?

edit: maybe shapeshifters would be disallowed for their unfashionableness. I mean, seriously. What's fashionable about fur. oh, wait...

i suppose the class selections could be limited somehow. i'll think on that. perhaps a given class would have to have a given color plate. For example: enchantress=red. poison necro=green, etc... And this would be untwinked HC.

11. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

HC? :scratch: I think I'm gonna pass on that.

12. wildjinn

Don't worry about that yet. The thing is that it'd probably be bringing one character through normal in each color group. And it would be untwinked and you would likely lose nothing of importance on your characters. I'm SC to the core, so I am wary of HC tournaments, but I thought that this was a way to get normal softcore players in a HC tournament?

13. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

i'll ask the quiestion Liter Soul asked before, is it the inventory color or in-game color that counts?

14. wildjinn

The in-game stuff should match, but I'd also like the inventory colors to show up. Could you give some examples with things that look different in each pane?

edit: I'm trying to think of stuff that looks off and can't really think of much, which is why I'm asking for answers...I'm not just asking without thinking about it myself.

15. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

like he said shadowfangs, and sigons shield, the others uniq tower shields, and.... cant remember any more

16. strijdje

Due to the fact that this is HC maybe you can make it a little less difficult by making the colors only the same on appearance ? (spelling...)
    i mean, i never saw a red glove give me red hands right?
    so your helm, weapon/shield and armor should be the same colour but the rest is for you to decide what to use... that would make the survival % a little higher i guess :lol:

great idea though :thumsbup:

robin

17. wildjinn

Okay. Here are my thoughts on this tournament thusfar. Characters can be either HC or SC, but must be untwinked. Scoring will be decided on the basis of style points.

Four different will be each played through normal difficulty, entirely single-player (no MPing allowed), one from each color group and each from a different main character class. I will announce the official color groups later along with banned character subclasses. Any thoughts on those would be great! I'll probably ban the Skellimancer, Meteorb Sorc, and Hammerdin, those being the current most often repeated builds, and fashion is all about innovation. The Shapeshifter Druid, Lighting Trapassin, Iron Barb, and Lightning Fury zon will also be banned on less concrete grounds. :)

Required colored items will be those that you wear on each character that change the character's outward appearance. In and only in the event of a discrepancy like those already noted in this thread, he displaying color is the important color, not the inventory screen color. I have to OK a discrepancy as well for it to be counted.

No act bosses may be killed more than once. Running them is very uncool. No area may be cleared more than twice with the notable exception of the harem--the most stylistically interesting tileset in the game.

Merchants may not be "run" to shift item inventories, and gambling is entirely allowed and is encouraged. What more stylish way can you gain clothing?

Once a character enters the Ancients' Way, no gear changes may be made--this ensures that you stay true to your fashion sense for the end of the game.

Each HC character taken through normal difficulty will give you 7 style points, a very stylish number.

One style point will be deducted from your grand total for each fallen HC character. However, this point can be regained by using one appropriately colored, non-replaceable piece of equipment on that character's designated avenger. The piece of equipment must be put on before entering the Durance. Avenging characters will be of the same color family and build as their avengee and will also be named after their avengee. (e.g. Iphinome II would be the avenger of Iphinome)

Each SC character taken through normal difficulty will net you 5 style points, minus one point for each death. SC characters cannot be avenged, as they are immortal.

One style point will be added for each character wearing a Great Helm upon entering the Ancients' way.

One style point will be deducted from each character wearing a Bone Helm or Cap upon entering the Ancients' way.

Each additional item of the character's color scheme will give you 1 additional style point on the completion of Normal difficulty, as will matching rings. This will ensure that, while you may be fashionable on the outside, you will also be rewarded for being fashionable on the inside.

Two style points will be added for the pure use of any of the following classes: Poison Necro (no corpse explosion), Enchantress, Ranger Summoner Druid, Smiter, Spearazon, Singing Barb, or Shadow Skill Assassin.

One point will be added for each character that matches their skills to their color choice: Yellow/Green for a Lightning Sorc, Blue/Purple for a Defiance Paladin, etc...

One point will be added for each single-tree character with the exception of the already-named two-point subclasses.

Skills that modify the color of items will make those items count as that color. (e.g. Venom, Enchant, Poison Dagger)

How do those sound as rules? Stringent, yes. Fashionable, yes. :) I've got a cool color-themed prize for the end of this. Let me know what you all think about this rule set.

18. Liter Soul

I like it! And count me in. I want to play either an orange/red enchantress.

Edit: Hardcore, too.

19. strijdje

yeah count me in too :p with the most stupid build eva for HC untwinked
    a Green ThrowBarb :teeth:

and i shal name him

ga*boy_tom or bradd_pit ^^

20. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

:clap: :clap: :lol:

I may well find time for this one, since it sounds fun. Needless to say I'm desiring the path of the Shadow assassin, in the colour of black, of course. (HC)