Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament Idea - Discussion required

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gaz, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Tournament Idea - Discussion required

Here's a tournament idea that I've been thinking about for a while. The idea is to get as high a defence as possible. Obviously, this would only allow two characters to play Barbarian (Iron Skin/shout) and Paladin (Defiance/holy shield), so I was looking for ideas on how to allow the rest of the characters to play.

Skill allocation
    Basic rules will be to pick two defensive skills
    (examples Zon - Evade, Decoy
    Barb - Iron Skin, Shout
    Assassin - Fade, blade shield
    Necromancer - Bone wall, bone prison (give higher skills to bone armour)
    Paladin - Defiance, Holy Shield
    Sorc - Frozen armour (any of the three), Energy Shield
    Druid - Cyclone armour, Oak Sage)

The skill point allocation rules will be as follows. only one point will be allowed into each of the non-selected skills until the two selected skills are maxed (+- level 50) from there skill points can be spent as you see fit.

Equipment rules.
    Basically you have to wear items with the highest defense. If you get an item that increases your overall defence over what you are currently wearing you have to equip it. Overall defence is going to be determined by defence+resist light+resist fire+resist cold+resist poison

Now there are some exceptions to the equipment rule.
    Items only have to be replaced by something on the same tier or higher. The tiers are as follows
    Tier 1 - non-magical
    Tier 2 - Magical (blue)
    Tier 3 - Rare (Yellow)
    Tier 4 - Crafted (Orange)
    Tier 5 - Set (Green)
    Tier 6 - Runewords
    Tier 7 - Unique (Gold)

Basically, if you find a rare shield that increases your overall defence, you have to equip it. However, if you then find a magical shield that increases your overall defence from the rare, you can keep the rare.

The equipment rule applies to all equipment (including rings and amulets) except weapons. Also, only one-handed weapons are allowed as you have to have a shield on both weapon sets. Your switch shield can have lower overall defense, but must have better total resists.

Stat point allocation
    Stat points can be allocated however you see fit. However should you find a better (read higher defence item) you must increase strength until you can equip it.

That's all I can think of. any suggestions can be put in the thread for discussion.

2. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Here's a question about use of the selected skills. While I see putting all points into those skills first, do you actually have to use said skills? By this I mean if you are using a Paladin do you have to have the Defiance aura active at all times, or can you use a different one (such as Holy Freeze)?

For the Amazon, why Decoy as one of the required skills? If we are looking to max the player's character defense then shouldn't Dodge or Avoid be more in line with the idea of the tournament?

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I think you need to include something about the equipping better armors to apply only to ones you pick up, as it will be VERY annoying to have to pick up every piece of armor to check for a higher def.

4. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

I suppose the paladin is the only one that will have the option of not using defiance, Mainly because the others are all passives and can be used simultaneously. I hadn't thought about that. I guess you could get away without using it seeing as it is a synergy for Holy Shield so it will still improve your defence by 300% when maxed, even if it isn't on.

The barbarian was another one that I had options for. I was thinking about allowing concentrate as one of the main skills, but as that is an offensive skill it might give the barb's an unfair advantage.

As far as the amazon goes. I guess ideally you should be maxing two of the three Dodge, Avoid, evade skills, but I thought decoy might be more useful in terms of defense (scouting)

hmm, but seeing as I have managed to get a larger round of indifference for the idea, I'm not so sure it's worth running. If anybody has any ideas, please speak up.

Skoolbus - That's why the tier system is there. If you are wearing rare boots, you don't need to worry about any blue or normal footwear that you find, only rare and up. And once you have gold items on, you won't need to worry about picking up anything for that slot. Also, I'm tempted to switch the crafted and set items around on the tier system.

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Tiers:
    What happens if you find a Godly Magic armor with 200%ED, and then find a unique with a lower total defense value? I guess that means you can't equip the unique... I'm not sure I'd like that... :undecided:

6. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

There has to be some sort of limitation on equipment, otherwise there wouldn't be a whole lot of point. It might be wise to allow for people to move up the tiers voluntarily. However, I can see this being abused. I'll have to think about it.

7. Mursilis

I agree about the barbarian, since it's an offensive skill that would be unfair.

True Decoy is more useful, however all of the other skills seem to directly affect the player character. Decoy doesn't add anything to the player character directly. Personally I'd rather have a strong Decoy than maximum Evade as it would be more useful, but that seems to give the Amazon an advantage over the other characters by having a minion be required. It would be like requiring the Necromancer to max Iron Golem.

I'm just trying to clarify what the goal would be in my own head. Would it be to maximize the player character's personal defense or would it be to make the most defensive build possible? If it is a defensive build that is the goal then Decoy and minions would be good to max. If it is a personal defense rating that is being sought then skills like Evade, Avoid, and the others you've already choosen work. It just seems as if you have a slight mix of the two at the moment.

8. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Maybe if I put my original intention down, it may go some way towards helping sort out some of the rules.

Initially I was going to create a character with the highest defence possible. Leading to a choice of originally two, but possibly three characters. These are Barbarian (concentrate, shout and iron skin, with a defiance mercenary) and Paladin (Defiance and Holy shield) possibly a werebear. Then I thought how could this be applied to all the characters, and I came up with a list of skills.

Then, applying the maximum defence philosophy, I came up with the equipment rating, but didn't want to be overly restrictive, hence allowing people to avoid certain "types" aas it were.

I think the stat point allocation is not going to give any issues.

The new skills would be, and possibly some flexibility should be allowed.

Barbarian - Iron Skin and Shout
    Paladin - Defiance and Holy Shield
    Assassin (tricky because the only really defensive skill is fade) - Fade and maybe mind blast or blade shield.
    Necromancer - Bone prison and bone wall (this should give maximum absorption to bone armour)
    Druid - either Cyclone armour and oak sage, or Werebear and Oak sage. Although werebear may be construed as an offensive skill.
    Amazon - I think maxing two of dodge, avoid, evade
    Sorceress - Energy shield and one of the cold armour skills.

As for the equipment, I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I think that you should specify if the defence that counts for the ranking has to be the ALL-time used Defence (while playing), or if it could be buffed just for the ranking.

Hmm, I think I wasn't too clear... So example:
    Paladin has maxed HS and Defiance, but he uses Fanaticism aura most of the time... Can he count his defence from defiance, or he has to allways use defiance if he wants to count the bonus from it?

Also can Defiance merc be used?

10. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Well, I guess that the fair way to be would be to use the defence that is on the character most of the time. That is, a paladin using fanatacism would have to use that defence, not the one from the defiance aura. Basically, the defence that you have when you are killing monsters.

The merc thing I had some ideas for. Defiance merc would obviously be the best. however, forcing a paladin to use a defiance merc on top of the maxed defiance skill may be unnecessary. Possibly for the paladin - if the paladin is using defiance as his main aura he may use another mercenary, otherwise a defiance merc must be taken.

11. Mursilis

Technically Weapon Block is a defensive skill for the Assasin, it could be used instead of Mind Blast or Blade Shield since those are somewhat offensive.

Here's a question; does Cyclone armor work when a druid is transformed into a wolf or bear? I ask as if that is the case then making Cyclone armor one of the skills is not limiting the build choice. However if Cylone armor only works in human form then I don't see any difference between Wearbear and Cyclone armor as a required skill. Although Cyclone armor is less offensive...

12. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I say restrict the tournament to paladins, barbarians and possibly werebears, stick with the original focus - highest defense possible. When it comes to d2 tournaments, simpler is better.

13. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Hmm. I was originally going to restrict the tournament to Paladins and barbarians only, But I wanted to try and interest more people. Of course, if you base the ranking on highest total defence then Barbarians and paladins are going to have the edge. Which should encourage people to pick those two classes.

I don't think that cyclone armour can be cast in werebear form, but I don't know if it stays active once you are in werebear form. I may have to make a quick character to check.

As far as the assassin goes, one way around the weapon block/mind blast thing would be to specify either max weapon block, or max block is required. I'll have to give this one some thought.

14. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

cyclone works in wereform after being cast in human form. The only problem I see with allowing all chars are the things like the zon is it over all defense or defense numbers?. The asn if you use wep block it is a defense skill but then you can not carry a shield. Nec if you use wall and prison doesnt that make actually putting points in the defense skill there helping optional?
    On the armors why not make it such or close. You would have to pick up all armors etc. of the same tier but may also check out other tiers. So that if you are weaing blue you have to pick up all blues any that increase your defense have to be used until you find a armor of the next tier or last tier you prefer then the same rule applies for that tier.

15. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I think I'd limit it to barb or pali and just say person with the highest defense end game wins. Freekje's recent tourney's have shown quite well that simplicity is nice when going with highest X-stat theme. Then you have a simple choice of two skills for either class route that must be maxed first, IS + Shout for barb and defiance + HS for pali. Seems barb is likely to win out though as he can hire a defiance merc effectively taking this skill away from the pali.

As far as the teir system goes. I really like the idea of restricting all armor slots to the item with the most defense period, regardless of type. This should be quite challenging as far as game play goes as many desired mods will be lost, and most character will be quasi-titan due to the strength reqs of elite armors. This is likely bad for gameplay, as it will be tedious to pick up and ID most gear drops. Can't think of a way around this, but if you just said only the ones you pick up it'd be very easy to avoid known high AC armors.

16. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

I think allowing all the other classes may end up confusing the issue. The problem with dodge, avoid, evade, cyclone armour, bone armour, weapon block, energy shield, blade shield etc is that they are not quantifiable in the terms that I was going to use, even though they are defensive skills. Maybe I'll just have to drop the characters.

The idea with the armour tier system is that you don't have to look at things of a lower tier, and you can't equip a higher tier unless it has a higher defense value, as defined earlier. What I am thinking about to try and make it not so limited is allow freebies, I.e, one of each type (set, unique etc) to be equipped no matter what the overall defense is.

17. Mursilis

Easy way around this is to not allow any Act II mercenaries to be hired, but Act I, III and V are allowed (no auras).