Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament: Gold Diggers

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by XxUberStarxX, Aug 2, 2010.

1. XxUberStarxX

XxUberStarxX IncGamers Member

Tournament: Gold Diggers

Doesn't seem to be many tournaments going at the moment, not sure if that is because most of the regualar tournament players are inactive, maybe people have too many others projects going or there may just be a lack of tournament ideas floating around. Anyway, enough rambling from me.

This tournament is very similar in structure and rules to the Green with Envy tournament with one important differnce, instead of Green we're looking for Gold! The following has been taken directly from the Green with Envy tournament and modified to suit, so i'd like to thank Morathi for that.

Characters & gameplay
    • Your character must be HC or SC until first death.
    • If your character dies, you may re-enter with another character. There is no limit to this rule, you may re-enter as many times as you wish.
    • Players can use versions from 1.10+
    • Using the respec feature is allowed but will incur a point penalty, see point section below.
    • Red Rune Mod (RRM) may be used and the same with Rune Word Mod (RWM). However it is completely useless for this tournament.
    • Players can use any character class, any build, and assign stat and skill points as desired.
    • Any /players setting is allowed, and may be changed at will.
    • Any merc may be used.
    • Single pass only (no re running of act bosses and areas).
    • You may return to previous acts and difficulties, however you may not leave town.
    • Atma/GoMule may be used as an extended stash.
    • Quests and waypoints are not compulsary, however if you want points then by all means complete them all. Quests can be completed whenever you wish (ex. you may use the normal socket quest in NM).

Equipment Rules
    • Your character must be Untwinked.
    • Only gold (unique) items may be equipped. White or grey (socketed or ethereal) items may be used until a gold item is found for each slot. After an appropriate gold item has been found, you must use that item for that slot or go empty. Once you find multiple appropriate gold items for a specific slot(helm, armour etc), you may decide which one you wish to wear.
    • Rings and Amulets are the only exception to the above rule, you may use rare (yellow) rings or amulets until an appropriate unique drops (if at all :) )
    • Gold weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. The third gold weapon you find must fill the last slot. If your merc cannot equip any of the three, he/she can keep using the grey/white item until an appropriate gold item drops. Once one drops it must be equipped on the merc.
    • Sockets may only be filled with topaz's and rare jewels, Runes are not allowed to be filled into sockets.
    • All charms are allowed as with scrolls, potions, tomes etc.
    • Merc equipment must follow the same rules as your character (socketables and gold items).
    • Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be equipped temporarily only when necessary to complete quests. Quest rewards (Charsi, Anya, Gidbin and NM + Hell Cain) can be treated as gold, i.e they can be used in place of a unique if desired. The magic ring from Akara for rescuing cain in Normal cannot be used.
    • Gambling for gold items is encouraged (good luck with that!).

Scoring
    1. 1 point for each WP gathered (including Rogue camp)
    2. 2 points for each quest completed
    3. 4 points for each unique item equipped (this includes your merc but doesn't include the rare quest reward items).
    4. -1 point for each character level gained ( meaning your characters level).
    5. -10 points for every respec used.

Signup + Updates
    This tournament starts now. Players may sign up at any time.
    The tournament will run until interest has been lost (no posts in 2 weeks). Please sign up using the table below. Please restrain from posting the table if it becomes too big (i.e alot of participants), as it uses up to much space and takes too much time. Just post your information at the bottom of your post. Like this:

Character name, build, act, difficulty, area level, points etc

Active
    Code:
    Forum Name     Character    Class       Act      Level    Points  Golds
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XxUberStarxX   Midas        Paladin     A1 N     0        0       0/15

Deeds
    Code:

***Table is ranked by points, not level.

Have fun and get GOLDEN!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. LeWoVoc

LeWoVoc IncGamers Member

Re: Tournament: Gold Diggers

It's been a while since I had my brief stint of posting here, but this seems like just the right thing to get me playing again. So as for now, I shall insert myself as BearlyLegal, A FREAKING BEAR.

BearlyLegal, 1 FREAKING BEAR, Normal Start, 0 points

3. XxUberStarxX

@LeWoVoc: Welcome back to the SPF! I seem to recall seeing your posts on these forums late last year, which was about the time i stopped, having only come back to the SPF recently myself. Not sure what sort of druid a FREAKING BEAR is but i like the name :thumbup: and may all your drops be GOLDEN!

4. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Question: does personalizing an item make it count as "gold," as per the "quest rewards" rule?

5. XxUberStarxX

@jdkerr: Only the quest rewards listed count as 'gold' items. I don't want there to be to many avenues to using rare items as i feel the whole idea of this tourney is to use unique items. You have temp rare rings and ammy's or quest reward rare rings, anya's class specific rare and any rare imbue. If any more rares are allowed i would have to rename the touney :whistling:.

Quick update from me before i shuffle off to work. Midas is travelling along nicely for now, having done full clears up to and including the Black Marsh. He seems to have had some uncanny luck so far, findind 9 chipped topaz's and 2 uniques. Coldcrow dropped a 'Felloak' unique club and also found the 'Biggins bonnet' unique cap in the Hole level 1.

Midas, Holy fire zealer, BlackMarch, lvl 16, 5 pts.

6. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I might get in on this as I'm getting bored of my restart sorc, and respecs mean I won't "waste" the effort on a non-permenant character.

One question, we are allowed to modify Uniques using cubing recipes correct? As long as they stay gold, then we can do what we like?

Also when you say we can wear grey before we find uniques, does this mean we can socket something with say topaz's for MF, or is grey referring to ethereal?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Noticed the recent lack of tournaments too which is a shame. Even more so since i was looking to join one, but none of the existing peeked my interest.

Was thinking about joining and playing a javazon, but then realized that the odds of ending up with a javelin are not good to say the least. So before i join i need to work out a new masterplan :)

Anyway good initiative :thumbsup:

8. sequana

sequana IncGamers Member

Nice tournament :thumbup:.

I started with amazon, with good luck she can be bow/javelin, but probably she will be just bowazon. It's not sure to find unique bow either, I know, but I can try. In the worst case she will be passive zon and I will be bored :).

Active
    Code:
    XxUberStarxX   Midas        Paladin     A1 N     16       5      2/15
    sequana        GoldenEye    Amazon      A1 N      7      -3      0/15

Deeds
    Code:

9. XxUberStarxX

@Brak: Yes you can modify your uniques, i.e upgrade, socket using larzuk etc.. so it will pay to cube up pgems and keep runes for this purpose. And grey items mean both ethereal and/or socketed and by all means you can use topaz's or rare jewels in them until a suitable unique is found.

@Cyrax: I was also considering an amazon until i realised the chances of finding a unique bow/javs were a long shot at best. But remember you can get a rare jav/bow from anya or imbue one as well, both can be treated as being unique.

@Sequana: Welcome and good luck! See the note above as regards to getting a suitable amazon weapon if you don't find a unique.

10. ChrisTheMean

ChrisTheMean IncGamers Member

Hey, this looks like fun. If I were to start a dual wielding barb, does that mean I have to equip a unique shield if I find one before I find two unique weaps?

11. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Decided to go with a Flying Booyaka. If I don't get anything decent at least I'll have good crowd control with leap and a not so bad single target killer for bosses with leap attack. Try to get some points into Berzerk for PIs.

So far no golds. I still dont even have headgear actually.

GoldFinger, Leaper, Cold Plains, lvl 7, -3 pts.

12. Mournblade

Mournblade IncGamers Member

I'll let XxUberStarxX confirm for certain. My understanding would be you have to make use of the shield until you have found the two unique one-handers, or one unique and a Charsi imbue. Same would apply if you found a 2-handed unique axe, maul, polearm, or spear before you found your first one-handed unique.

BTW, I'm in. Going to try a concentrate barb.

Mournblade, Barb, Rogues Camp, lvl 1
    (Yes, character name and forum name the same) :)

13. XxUberStarxX

Couldn't have put it better myself, but remember if you find a unique shield before you find any unique weapon, you can always equip it on switch and continue to use a two white/grey weapon combo.

Let me give an example: You are an Amazon currently in act 4 and your using a bow and an Act 2 merc and your first unique weapon is a Shadowfang 2-H sword. Not particuarly useful for a bowzon so you can equip it on switch and continue with the bow. You make it Act 5 and find another unique weapon this time a 1-h mace, again not real useful for your bowzon. Now if you want to continue with the Act 2 merc you must equip the mace in your primary slot (or the 2-h sword on primary and the mace on switch) or you can hire an Act 5 merc, put the 2-h sword on him, the mace on switch and continue with the original bow and hope the next unique weapon drop is a bow! Hope that makes sense :scratchchin:

14. ChrisTheMean

Great, thanks. I have started a barb and actually had blood raven drop me a grailer: hotspur boots.

ChrisTheMean, Eureka, Barb, Act1N, lvl16, 1pts, 1 unique

15. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Allright, a new masterplan to win this tourney has been made. Entering the field is SubZero (wanted SubZeroGoldenEdition but that was too long). He's gonna be a HF paladin using zeal.

Cleared the area until the first WP. Only event worth mentioning was my first ring which was a rare so at least i got that slot filled early.

Got a question though. What happens if you find a unique but don't have the str or dex to use it. Should you pump it until it can be worn? Or is it possible to just ditch it and keep using the white/grey i was using until then?

Updated the table a bit. Included the people that already left town.

Active
    Code:
    XxUberStarxX   Midas        Paladin     A1 N     16       5      2/15
    ChrisTheMean   Eureka       Barbarian   A1 N     16       1      1/15
    sequana        GoldenEye    Amazon      A1 N      7      -3      0/15
    Brak           GoldFinger   Barbarian   A1 N      7      -3      0/15
    Cyrax          SubZero      Paladin     A1 N      7      -3      0/15

Deeds
    Code:

16. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

I killed a green'sin in A3H and guardianed a yellow'sin. Let's see what a golden'sin can do... No specific build planned, but DS, MB and CoS will probably be featured heavily.

Cersei, Assassin, level 7, Cold Plains WP, 0 Uniques

17. ChrisTheMean

ChrisTheMean, Eureka, Barb, lvl26, Act3N, 23pts, 2uniques
    Had some time to quest this guy, and finished act 2 with all wps and quests so far. Haven't imbued yet so didn't include that in score. Champ hell clan in arcane sanc dropped Razortine Trident, so merc has that of course. Currently double swinging two white millitary picks, white barb helm +2 axe, +2 throw, splint mail with topaz/flawed topaz. Still not a single yellow or gold ring, ammy or jewel.

18. XxUberStarxX

You should pump it until it can be worn.

In regards to the quest rewards rares, they doen't count towards your score only actual unique items do.

As for midas, he had a severe NDE not far from the Outer Cloister WP on his way to find the malus. Two unique bossback archers very nearly made mince meat of him and it took some quick successive chugging of rejuvs and hightailing it back to the Wp. After reloading the belt, a more cautious approach was employed by luring out 1-2 at a time then tackling the boss last. After that not much to report up until Andy, except his uncanny knack for finding topaz's continued. Killed Andy on /P5 but she dropped no new uniques.

Once in Act 2 it was time to say good-bye to Annor my faithful Rogue companion and hire Pratham the Blessed Aim mercenary. His current gear includes a 2 chipped topaz spetum, a 2 chipped topaz skull cap and a 3 chipped topaz ring mail. As for Midas he has white gloves/belt/boots, was fortunate enough to find a rare ring and amulet in Act I, a 3 chipped topaz ring mail, 2 chipped topaz targe with 10 all resists base, Biggins bonnet on his head, the Felloak on switch and he ungraded to a 3 flawed topaz grand scepter once in Act II.

Have killed Radament and cleared all up to the Dry Hills so far, including the Cube quest. About to make his assault on the rest of Act II, doing full clears on /P8 is going to take a while, but Midas and Pratham make a nice combination so far.

Midas, FrostZealot, Dry Hills, level 23, 12 pts.

Active
    Code:
    ChrisTheMean   Eureka       Barbarian   A3 N     26       23     2/15
    XxUberStarxX   Midas        Paladin     A2 N     23       12     2/15
    sequana        GoldenEye    Amazon      A1 N      7       -3     0/15
    Brak           GoldFinger   Barbarian   A1 N      7       -3     0/15
    Cyrax          SubZero      Paladin     A1 N      7       -3     0/15
    scrcrw         Cersei       Assassin    A1 N      7       -3     0/15

Deeds
    Code:

19. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

I'm in. As always, I have a penchant for abandoning tournament characters rather quickly, but here goes. :)

I have decided to play Kaspar, a werewolf infected with rabies. I have always wanted to give that build a fair shot, so let's see what happens.

Act 1 was simple, as always. Topazes were slow in coming, but by the end of the act I had my fair share. The only "unique" to drop was a yellow amulet, but it has lightning resist on it, and I am happy about that going in to Act 2. No rare jewels so far. The charms were decent:
    SC: +1 dex / +6% LR
    SC: +6% PR
    SC: +9 life
    GC: +12% FHR
    GC: +10 def / +14 life
    He is currently wielding a white crystal sword (with three open sockets). He has a bow-wielding mercenary, and I think I will keep it that way at the moment -- I spurn the typical Act2 merc choice! ...Or just think a ranged attacker is better when I already have three wolves tanking for me.

Kaspar, Rabies Druid, Act 2 Normal, Lut Gholein, 10+10+0-19=1 point.

20. newt mcmac

newt mcmac IncGamers Member

I think I should be in, though I won't really be able to do anything for another week until after the in-laws leave.

I have a question for whoever wants to weigh in though. So far, all the characters have been melee or at least physical, which everybody knows is fairly item dependent. So in a tournament where items cannot be planned, wouldn't it be a sound idea to play a caster? Do people shy away from that because it would be to sticky down the road without good stuff? or is it more of a question of play preference and style?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Personally I'm leaning towards Avenger or maybe Tesladin or Frostadin. Something like that.