Tournament: Descendants of Midas

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Tournament: Descendants of Midas

Do you remember the tale of King Midas, from Greek mythology? The god Dionysus granted him a single wish. Driven by insatiable greed, Midas asked that everything he touched be turned to gold. Within hours, he became the wealthiest king in the world. However, he soon realized the folly of his "gift". His food turned to gold. His drink turned to gold. Even his beloved daughter turned to gold as he innocently reached out to her. Devastated, Midas begged Dionysus to undo his wish, and the god took pity and agreed. Midas had many children, and his progeny spread throughout the world. Some became kings, queens, traders, or warriors. Many died young, victims of their own greedy (and often dangerous) enterprises.

You, hero, are a descendant of Midas, recognizable by the golden glint in your eye, and lust for riches. Above all else, you seek to build an empire of abundance. An opportunity has arisen; there is word of a growing evil horde, carrying powerful (and valuable) treasures! Yours for the taking, if you can defeat them. Imagine all the wealth you will discover!

The guidelines:

• HC or SC. If you die in SC, you are out. You may re-enter as many times as you wish.
  • No ESC to avoid death. No TPs in the belt.
  • All classes allowed.
  • Versions 1.10 thru 1.12. RWM/RRM allowed, but no RWM-only runewords.
  • No multi-player, no trading.
  • It is not mandatory to complete all quests/waypoints.
  • Untwinked, single-pass, no re-running areas or bosses.
  • Any player setting may be used, at any time.
  • You may revisit prior difficulties to claim saved quest rewards or hire mercs.
  • ATMA/GoMule allowed as an extended stash.
  • All mercenary types allowed.

Gear:
You are consumed by greed! :greedy: Most of your gear will feature "Gold Find"!
Gold Find gear may be found in the field, shopped, gambled, crafted, cubed, rerolled, and/or created in any way possible. "of Greed" and "of Wealth" items are the most obvious. Certain S/Us and runewords have extra Gold Find. Jewels of Avarice (fairly common) may come in handy, or possibly Lem runes, for creating custom gear. Be creative.

The following gear slots must always have "Gold Find" on them:
  • Helm, Merc Helm, Belt, Gloves, Boots, Amulet, Rings, Shields (if applicable), Merc Shield (if applicable).
  • The quantity of Gold Find is not important. Any amount is sufficient to meet the requirement (as long as it's a positive amount, i.e. not "Nadir"!)
  • Until you acquire suitable items, unsocketed white/ethereal gear may be equipped.
Gear Exceptions:
  • Body Armor: As an alternative to white/ethereal body armor, Topaz (or MF-only jewels) may be socketed into gray body armors. No other socketables allowed, unless the armor also has Gold Find. If you desire any other mods (besides MF) on your body armor, it MUST also have gold find! Examples of legal body armors:
    -white/eth unsocketed
    -gray with Topaz/MF-only jewels (pure MF body armor)
    -anything else, as long as it has GF.
  • merc Body Armor: see above.
  • Weapons: no restrictions, all weapons allowed.
  • merc Weapon: no restrictions, all weapons allowed.
Item charges are allowed, as long as they fit in with the afore-mentioned gear guidelines.

Charms:
10 units' worth of charm space must have Gold Find. For example, 3 Grand Charms of Greed and 1 Small Charm of Greed = 10 inventory units. Hopefully, your GF charms will have a nice prefix as well. You may use any/all charms while you look for GF charms. When you do find a GF charm, you will be powerless to resist using it, immediately. But you can still use other charms at the same time.

Skills:
Because your thoughts are occupied with visions of extravagant wealth, you find yourself making impulsive and reckless decisions when it comes to skill choice.
  • Whenever you reach an even level (2,4,6,etc..) you may spend or save the skillpoint as you wish.
  • When you reach an odd level (3,5,7,etc..), you must immediately and randomly assign the skill point into the tree of your choice. Your options are restricted to currently available skills.
  • Reward skillpoints must also be instantly randomly assigned, across all trees (i.e. you are not allowed to choose the tree.)
  • You may devise any fair system to determine where your random points will fall, for example Random.org.
  • All skills are allowed.
Stat points:
no restrictions

Scoring:
  • +10 points for every Act completed.
  • -5 points per each active melee minion used. Merc is not a minion, nor are Ravens, Decoys, Druid Vines/Spirits, or Necromages. (Example: 3 dire wolves would be -15 points. Even if you decide to go with Grizzly later, you are still penalized -15 because your build used 3 melee minions at one point. Clay Golem would be -5 points. If you later switched to Iron Golem, there is no additional penalty because only one golem would be active at a time.)
  • +1 point per each "challenge area" successfully cleared on the first attempt. To qualify, you must exterminate every monster, no parking allowed. You are permitted to leave and re-enter the challenge area during the same game, but you may not reroll the map.
Challenge areas:
  • Act One: 5 points possible. Cave, Crypt, Mausoleum, Hole, Pit.
  • Act Two: 4 points possible. Stony Tomb, Halls of the Dead, Ancient Tunnels, Kaa's False Tomb.
  • Act Three: 8 points possible. Arachnid Lair, Swampy Pit, each of the 6 Kurast Temples.
  • Act Four: none.
  • Act Five: 7 points possible. Abaddon, Pit of Acheron, Drifter Cavern, Infernal Pit, Icy Cellar, defeating the Ancients without rerolling them, Secret Cow Level.
Bonus points:
  • +10 points for the player who can assemble the highest GF%, totaled from his or her gear, merc gear, and charms. You aren't required to wear it full-time, just keep it available in your stash or extended stash. Calculate and update it when you wish.
  • +5 points for the player with the second-highest GF%.
  • +10 points for the player who finds/horks the largest pile of gold.
Timeline:
The tournament starts now! There are no deadlines to register. Official scoring will cease on Dec 1st, or before that, if there are no updates for 3 weeks. Good luck!

Last edited:

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: Descendants of Midas

Code:
[U]Forum name         Char name      Build      lvl Act Score Bonus MaxGF% MaxPile[/U] 
Insane Wayne       Ivory Lin      PlagueZon   1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
Some notes about the table:
  • Please try not to widen the table. It's better if we can view it without scrolling side-to-side.
  • Score = Act completion points + successful challenge points. (see Scoring above)
  • Bonus = bonus points, based on MaxGF% and MaxPile totals. (see Scoring above)
  • If you find that you qualify for bonus points, you may assign yourself the points in the "Bonus" column. Be sure to delete the proper number of points from the former leader's bonus total. This may get a little confusing, which is why I want to keep bonus points separate from score points.
  • Do not worry about micro-managing your bonus points in the early stages. Personally I wouldn't worry about it until later in Normal.
  • Feel free to update the table when you wish, but it is not mandatory with every post. A simple score count at the end of your post is sufficient. This will save you time, and look more orderly. (Too many consecutive table updates disrupts the flow.)
  • Highest score gets the top line.
  • If your character dies, write RIP under the Act column. You may retain your ranking based on score.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[U]Forum name         Char name      Build      lvl Act Score Bonus MaxGF% MaxPile[/U] 
Morathi            Cindy          Sorc?       1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
You can count me in Wayne :thumbup:.

I'll start off with introducing Cindy, the unknown Sorc. Not quite sure on my build as this tournament has a random aspect to it. I have a slight idea on what i am planning but I will just let it pan out and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone...:grin:.

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[u]Forum name         Char name      Build      lvl Act Score Bonus MaxGF% MaxPile[/u] 
erimatbrad         Fortione       Randomdin   1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
Not sure what Paladin build Fortione will be, but....

Oblivious

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[u]Forum name         Char name      Build      lvl Act Score Bonus MaxGF% MaxPile[/u] 
Oblivious          Ezra           Wind/Summon 1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
Also 2 questions :

Are the random skills alowed only one skill tree, or can it be different every time ?

By number of minions, waht do you mean ? 3wolves= -15 or -5 ? What about unused synergy skills ?

Don't have time to go through the idea thread, I am terribly sorry...

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Merlin             Ilyena         Javazon     1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
I picked her build before I witnessed your pick Wayne. But it's more then time to start one of my favorite type chars in a HC tourney... Time to bring my well thought out character (NOT!) into action.
People, feel free to meet a cheesyzon... err, fishyzon... well, a javazon who hopefully will manage to steer clear of bowskills. I'll try to steer clear of the bow tree entirely, and focus my random rolls on the passive tree eventually. Let's see how that goes... (But not for a while yet, have several other chars to run!)

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Morathi            Cindy          HydraSorc   12  N1   3    00    0000   00000
I have had quite a bit of time today to play with Cindy, so i guess i will post a quick update on our progress so far.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cindy has began her journey is awesome fashion. In the Den Of Evil we managed to find a chipped topaz (our first gem drop), excellent… its always nice to see an early topaz drop :wink:. But the best was yet to come, as just outside of the Den we found our first shrine and to my surprise it was a gem shrine. The result…a nice flawed topaz, and we haven’t even reached the cold plains :grin:. The luck didn’t stop there as our first jewel turned out to be a jewel of envy, which was quickly placed in Cindy’s 2soc Scepter. As a result our killing speed increased dramatically with monsters going down in 1-2 hits on p/8. Excellent start so far.

Once we reached the Cold Plains waypoint we visited Akara to receive our quest reward. It resulted in a random skill going into the cold tree (Ice Bolt), hrrrm I was hoping this didn't happen.

The rest of the Cold Plains was a breeze thanks to our new weapon and also from the help of a nice shrine. Muhahahahaha :evil:.

It's either this tournament or luck from Lurtz that has possessed Cindy because our 2nd jewel in the Crypt turned out to be this, another Envy jewel :alright:. The result, a beast of a weapon, which is excellent for this stage of the game and will help our damage output while Cindy builds up her skills.

After some thinking and planning I have decided to build Cindy as a Fire sorc, majoring in Hydra. I am trying to avoid the Cold tree (dam Akara) and just try get utility spells from the Lighting tree such as Static Field (already got), Telekinesis's (already got) and Teleport (hoping to get). Fire Immunes will be a problem down the track but I have some tricks up my sleeve against them.

So far so good, lets hope this continues...

Edit- Oh i almost forgot. We are currently camped at the Stony Field Waypoint (it was right near the entrance thankfully). And the score has come as a result of our full clears so 1 point each for the Cave, Crypt and Mausoleum.

Last edited:

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

Are the random skills alowed only one skill tree, or can it be different every time ?
You may choose the tree, and it may be a different tree with each random point. (Except the quest reward points, which you cannot choose the tree. Those points are 100% randomized among all trees.)

By number of minions, waht do you mean ? 3wolves= -15 or -5 ? What about unused synergy skills ?
If you use 3 wolves, that's -15. Even if you decide to go with Grizzly later, you are still penalized -15 because your build used 3 melee minions at one point. Unused synergy points do not count against you. You only pay for the minions you actually summon.

Another example: 1 golem + 8 skellies + 3 revives + 4 mages = -60 points. (12 total melee minions. Mages don't count because they're not melee.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Morathi- good start. 2 envy jewels. :thumbup:
I see you have already found a Ring of Greed... :)

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member

Could you clarify the body armor restrictions? Body armor is not listed in your rules as an item that needs to have gold find, but then you make a clarification in the "Gear Exceptions" part that seems to indicate that armor is restricted.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

@Skunk, it's also mentioned in the idea thread. Armor may be socketed with topazzes for MF as well. If you use it for that purpose, it's excempt from the GF rule. If you want other mods on your body armor, the gf mod automatically becomes a requirement

So a 3os Breastplate with two topazzes and a MF jewel is allright.
a 3os Breastplate with 2 topazzes with a MF jewel that also has +20 AR is NOT

Why? Since it has another mod and this means the 2nd breastplate needs Gold find as well...

Wayne, correct me if I explained it wrong.

jgreg7

Diabloii.Net Member

I like it! :thumbup:

I'll be in, but not until I finish off some other tournaments. I had been interested in playing a PlagueZon, but that seems to be too popular in this group. I'll think on a character and come back when I'm ready to actively participate.

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member

And Fortione has started.

I'm saving all my skill points for now, until I decide what build he's going to be. I think a lot of Paladin builds require a lot of synergies, but maybe I can get close to a mediocre Tesladin or Hammerdin.

We're only up to the Den of Evil and level 6, but skill distribution looks like:

Code:
Lv2: Saved           Lv3: Might          Lv4: Saved
Lv5: Resist Fire     Lv6: Saved          Den: Holy Fire
So, nothing great, nothing terrible thus far... though it's still really early in the character, so I think it'll depend on where more of the random skills fall in the combat and offensive trees...

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

@skunk- Merlin's example is correct.

Legal body armors:
-white/eth unsocketed
-gray with Topaz/MF-only jewels (pure MF body armor)
-anything else, as long as it has GF.

SoiLo

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Soi Lo           PlaugedGreed     Poison/Bone 1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
I am going to try to build a somewhat productive Poison/Bone necro, with a bit of summoning. I doubt it will work... but we'll see!

SoiLo

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Soi Lo           PlaugedGreed     Poison/Bone 10   N1  3   00    0000   00000
Level 10 and about to head into the cold plains... The random skills aren't working as well as I might like. Actually, you can hardly call them random. Almost all of them have ended up in Teeth. I may have to adjust my build. I was originally going for a poison/melee character, but with so many points in teeth this early on in the game it might give some synergies to later skills.

Oh, and the random point from Den went into Amp damage, that could have been much worse.

The points come from the first three challenge areas as well.

Immortal_Slayer

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Soi Lo             PlaugedGreed   Poison/Bone 10  N1   3    00    0000   00000
Immortal_Slayer    Lanaya         PStrike Sin 1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
I'd like to enter in with a PS sin, hoping that random points will go in my favour (seeing as 4/10 of the MA skills would be useful for synergies, and the others aren't really a waste either)

Won't get started till I get my computer back from repairs though.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
Morathi            Cindy          HydraSorc   12  N1   3    00    0000   00000
Insane Wayne       Ivory Lin      PlagueZon   12  N1   3    00    0000   00000
Soi Lo             PlaugedGreed   Poison/Bone 10  N1   3    00    0000   00000
Immortal_Slayer    Lanaya         PStrike Sin 1   N1  000   00    0000   00000
@Immortal_Slayer- good luck!

---------------------------------------

@Soi Lo- welcome! :cool:
But I must inform you that you have sinned against the table! You are forgiven because you are new here. :grin:

When you quoted the table in your update, you did not use the latest version. Morathi's updated score was erased! The table you used was from earlier in the thread. This will cause new players (like Immortal_Slayer) to also use the wrong table. Now, I fully realize that working with that stupid table is like wrestling a greased pig, so don't worry if it takes a few tries to master it. Try to use the preview function to get it lined up right, and make sure you elevate your new score to the correct rank, and not omit anyone's entries. Good luck with your necro!

---------------------------------------

Minor update for Ivory. I waited until lvl 6 to get the Den quest, so that more beneficial skills would be available. It didn't work, the point went into Inner Sight!
The latest random points went into the Jav tree, where they had a 50/50 chance of going into Poison Jav, or opening up Jab. I was lucky in getting three consecutive points into Poison. Also I have 2 plain Rings of Greed, 34% and 31%. No nice jewels yet.

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks Wayne, i was literally just about to post a new table and re-add my update which seemed to have been erased.

And your right tables are quite annoying especially when they begin to take up half the page, but for now they are tolerable.

Also you are right Wayne, in that screenshot i did have a Ring of Greed (30%), and after that screenshot was taken we found another Ring of Greed (30%). We have also found 2 charms of Greed as well, one large charm (10% GF and 12 to AR) and a small charm (8%GF). So our GF is beginning to accumulate and gold is starting to flow...:grin:.

SoiLo

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry about the table. I'll be more careful with that in the future. Now I'm off to play some more...