Tournament: Blood for the Bloodgod!

Sixstringer

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tournament: Blood for the Bloodgod!

Moving along! Haven't had any good drops, so my pally has had to stick a couple of chipped skulls into a two-handed store-bought axe to offset the sacrifice damage. And how long must I go barefoot?

Code:
Forum name	Character Name	Class		Level 	Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sixstringer     Sangrey         Pally           15      Black Marsh
Jcakes		Loethar		barb		10	stony field
Tanksaabas      BERZERKER       barb            8       Cold Plains
newco		Kharn		barb		1	Rogue Encampment
Kimppi          Bathesinblood   druid           1       Rogue Encampment
jamesixgun      JeezWhy         druid           0       In my imagination
bluechip        bloodacre        barb           1       rogue encampment
Haerviu         Skanderflea     druid           1       Rogue Encampment
Sixstringer     Sangrey         paladin         1       Rogue Encampment
[/QUOTE]

Docturnal

Diabloii.Net Member

Either way Ill enter with a pally. Probably gonna go for vengeance. (Ive got a power axe)

Vang

Diabloii.Net Member

Clothing-rules:
1.) everything crafted with a “blood†recipe
2.) bone helm and bone shield (any flavor + exceptional + elite version)
3.) everything with the mods “life-leechâ€, “attacker takes damage X†and “open woundsâ€
4.) rings and amulets: any flavor

Socket-rules:
1.) weapons: any flavor
2.) armor: skulls, rubies and red jewels
First, what about runes that give attacker takes damage for armor?

Second, in regards to equipment, if something is socketable, can you socket it with the jewel or gem allowed so it can be used, or does it have to qualify before it is socketed?

Kimppi

Diabloii.Net Member

Time to call it for the day. Nothing much worth mentioning in drops, except a Jewel of Envy from DoE which made our hero's life a little easier after sticking it to a socketed Large axe. Sixstringer, that barefoot running is actually pretty funny :p too bad my ears and fingers are freezing too. Well, at least I have something to keep the trousers up.

Code:
Kimppi          Bathesinblood   Druid           17       Outer Cloister

newco

Diabloii.Net Member

first off all, thank you for your questions and input

hmm ... i thought it would be simple, but here are some clarifications:

This tournament is quite easy. It is a melee tournament based around axes with some special-rules
this means: if you kill something ... use your axe ... quite simple. If you are a druid and invest a skillpoint in fisure ... you might use it as an synergy and use an axe + fireclaws to kill your enemy. If you put points in cyclone armor ... go ahead and use it. If you put a skillpoint in tornado ... though luck ... it is not an axe.

shockwave or warcry to stun something is OK (come on ... don't start nitpicking ... it is a melee tournament, so use your conscience :wink:)

BO, shout, taunt ... all warcry's are fine ... you are a follower of the Bloodgod ... SHOUT OUT LOUD!!! (grim wards are cool too)

regarding chars ... meleemancers and sorcs are cool ... but not in this tournament ... and assassins are more a Slaanesh type of char

First, what about runes that give attacker takes damage for armor?

Second, in regards to equipment, if something is socketable, can you socket it with the jewel or gem allowed so it can be used, or does it have to qualify before it is socketed?
point one: if you want to socket an AMN ... go ahead
point two: it has to quilify before socketing

now go out and spill some blood!

HanShotFirst

Diabloii.Net Member

I seem to have been thinking the same things as TheReadMenace

I understand this is your tournament,
Really, every character can do melee. Keeping the rules simple is a good idea, but allowing for options might make some people more apt to play.
Personally I think it would be fun to see people with melee axe wielding Sorceresses, Necromancers, and Assassins. It seems to me that many people who enter these tournaments do so to create some really wacky characters (which allowing Necromancers, Sorceresses, and Assassins would seem to make more possible). My unsolicited two cents on possible allowed skills for those classes:

Sorceress:
Enchant, Warmth, Fire Mastery, Frozen Armor, Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Energy Shield

Necromancer:
Bone Armor, Bone Wall, Bone Prison . . . Curses? . . I would bet there are at least some that the Bloodgod would approve of . . . especially because he apparently approves of all Barbarian Warcries . . .

Assassin:
Burst of Speed, Cloak of Shadows, Fade, Venom, Blade Shield . . . Mind Blast? (it does do some physical damage . . . but so does the Barbarian War Cry) . . . and I don’t know enough about the Martial Arts Tree to suggest what skills could be used with an axe . . . perhaps someone who has black belt in D2 Martial Arts could help me out here . . .

Sorcresses, Necromancers, and Assassins might not even be that viable (and I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have to worry about these classes overshadowing your more typical melee classes) but I am guessing there are a few people who would like to give them a try. :thumbup:

One other thing I was wondering:

Scoring:
Quite simple ... highest level Guardian wins
Since you can rerun areas doesn’t this mean that you can keep doing Hell Baal runs for as long as you want/can survive? . . (this might have been what you intended) . . . but might mean that no one would ever definitively ‘win’.

Anyhow just my unsolicited thoughts on your tournament . . . do what you want with them . . .

Thanks for the read,
Han

EDIT #2 Actually, I type so slow that you actually answered everything except the question about winning . . . disregard the rest I guess . . .

Last edited:

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

I've started a dual-wielding barb and he's happily spilling blood! He is called Rojo (after my ex-husband and Spanish for red).

Code:
Kimppi          Bathesinblood   Druid           17       Outer Cloister
JayeM           Rojo            barb            6       Cold Plains

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

I understand this is your tournament, but I kinda wish you had brought it up for a little discussion before officially starting.

I just wanted to say that I don't see any reason not to allow sorcs, necros, and assassins. Yes, you'd have to severely limit the skills they can use, but it's not like meleemancers and enchantresses are rare. In comparison, if a Holy Fire paladin is acceptable, seems to me an enchantress is perfectly fine, too.

Suggestions to open up all classes:
Sorcs: Take away all [worthwhile] direct attack spells & Teleport. Leaves them with Warmth, Enchant, Telekinesis, Energy Shield, and the three ice armors.

Necros: No summons; no P&B spells except Poison Dagger, armor, wall, and prison.

Assassins: No traps (Blade skills as an exception?). No summons. And without claws, the only elemental option (because everyone else except Amazons have at least one option for Physical Immunes) is Phoenix Strike. [edit: Strike that. Dragon Flight has fire damage, so maybe say no to Phoenix Strike, too]

Really, every character can do melee. Keeping the rules simple is a good idea, but allowing for options might make some people more apt to play.

Merely a suggestion! :thumbup: Good luck, everyone!
I agree 100% with TRM here.

Its always good to open up a discussion thread before starting a new tournament so you can here the opinions of others about certain aspects, what needs to be changed, added, or even things you never even considered.

Possibly an idea could be to temporarily stop any further progress and just keep this thread for discussion purposes and then open up a official thread where participants may enter and play.

Just my 2 cents because i feel there is alot to be changed here, and can make for a very exciting and good tournament.

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

Come on, guys, newco started the tourney and it's perfectly workable as is. You are welcome to open your own tournaments...

BTW TheReadMenace, poison dagger wouldn't be overly effective since we're only using axes.

newco

Diabloii.Net Member

Since you can rerun areas doesn’t this mean that you can keep doing Hell Baal runs for as long as you want/can survive? . . (this might have been what you intended) . . . but might mean that no one would ever definitively ‘win’.
true ... but if you rerun hell baal with a melee char under the equipment and full-clear rule ... you will be a dead guardian quite soon. I don't expect too many guardians anyway (you are invited to prove me wrong :wink:)

Possibly an idea could be to temporarily stop any further progress and just keep this thread for discussion purposes and then open up a official thread where participants may enter and play.

Just my 2 cents because i feel there is alot to be changed here, and can make for a very exciting and good tournament.
Nope. Thank you for your input, but this tournament is just the way I like it. No "magic-users", I want to see some Baba, Pala, Druid or Melee-zon guardians (wielding an axe).

Tanksaabas

Diabloii.Net Member

point one: if you want to socket an AMN ... go ahead
point two: it has to quilify before socketing

now go out and spill some blood!
Well it would be rather suitable if I'd socket a normal armour with a ruby to make it red. Khorne followers do have red coloured armour yes? no?

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

Rojo has checked in at the Outer Cloister before going back out to clear the Pit. He's only had one serious NDE, in the Black Marsh Hole when he was jumped by a pack of archers and a pack of large furry critters, and his rogue sidekick died. So far he's still bare of head, hand and foot, but he has sash and sturdy leather armor, both of thorns. He also has a large selection of axes, hand and double...he can't stand to get rid of a good axe. I think Charsi's imbue will go for a belt...hopefully I'll get one of the useable mods.

Code:
Kimppi          Bathesinblood   Druid           17      Outer Cloister
JayeM           Rojo            barb            16      Outer Cloister

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

Come on, guys, newco started the tourney and it's perfectly workable as is. You are welcome to open your own tournaments...

BTW TheReadMenace, poison dagger wouldn't be overly effective since we're only using axes.
@All: Oh, no. No disrespect was meant. I can't speak for Morathi or HanShot, but oftentimes new tournaments are open for discussion before they're officially started. I believe all we were saying is that limiting characters will limit your participants, and creativity is what drives tournaments, characters, goals, etc. in the SPF. BUT, since newco's completely content with his original rule-set, no qualms from me! And again, good luck to everyone!

And.... VERY good point about Poison Dagger. :doh: I literally LOL'ed at my oversight.

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

The tournament is sort of slanted toward barbarians (which is why I picked one), but that's ok by me. I'm having loads of fun with Rojo...I hope I can keep him alive awhile. :) It's a wacky premise tourney and they're always fun.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Good luck to you all, as this seems very interesting. I especially liked the part about axes and the other equipment rules.

If Assassins had been allowed, I would probably have entered, with a Tiger- + Cobra Strike brute variant of assassin.

DeathAndDecay

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm in now, and I play with class that I have the least experience, paladin, and he is called MyDeath. I made some progress - just finished Stony Field. Cold Crow gets realy an'noying when you don't have IAS and CBF, attack that takes more then 25 frames is not fun, her pack nearly killed my merc. MyDeath is using hes gemmed axe(with 2 chipped rubys), sash/leather armor of thorns... Oh, and I must say what he found of course: Hsarus' Iron Fist(buckler) and Infernal Cranium(cap), of course I can't equip it, but I'm only level 13 and I think that he will get far more better drops in the future, when they will be mostly needed...

Code:
DeathAndDecay   MyDeath         Paladin         13      Stony Field
EDIT2: damn, I made a big sistake, I bougth a large shield of thorns, it's not alowed, sorry, but good thing I didn't used it in combat!!!
And good luck to you all!

Last edited:

JayeM

Diabloii.Net Member

EDIT2: damn, I made a big sistake, I bougth a large shield of thorns, it's not alowed, sorry, but good thing I didn't used it in combat!!!
I guess it depends on how you read the rules. I thought if it qualified by at least one of the rules it was allowed, so according to rule 3 a large shield of thorns would be useable. Confirmation?

jamesixgun

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
DeathAndDecay   MyDeath         Paladin         13      Stony Field
jamesixgun      JeezWhy         druid           6       Cold Plains
bluechip        bloodacre       barb            1       rogue encampment
Well, JeezWhy made it to the Cold Plains. One NDE to some zombies and fallen in the Den, but he was able to run away, tp, buy potions, and purchase a belt with ATD +1 and some Enhanced Def, and return to kick buttocks. No finds, but he's rocking a one os hand axe with a chipped emerald and has 2 2os hand axes in the stash. He'll be looking for 2 and 3 os large axes shortly and that should up his attack speed considerably (it's pretty bad now, and painful in wolf form).

Am I right to assume we can use starting equipment until other stuff comes available? If not, I'll have to restart.

Good luck, everyone!

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member

@All: Oh, no. No disrespect was meant. I can't speak for Morathi or HanShot, but oftentimes new tournaments are open for discussion before they're officially started. I believe all we were saying is that limiting characters will limit your participants, and creativity is what drives tournaments, characters, goals, etc. in the SPF. BUT, since newco's completely content with his original rule-set, no qualms from me! And again, good luck to everyone!

And.... VERY good point about Poison Dagger. :doh: I literally LOL'ed at my oversight.
Agreed TRM. No disrespect was meant on my behalf as well.

All i am saying it would have been a good idea to open up a discussion thread before the official tournament so you can hear what other members have to say first. Sometimes you get opinions and idea's that you never even thought about but could make a great addition to the tournament. You also get insight into the aspects that members don't like, or need changes etc.

A tournament with to many restrictions enevitably means, less participants. Like i would personally might have joined if you allowed all characters and got rid of the re-run rule. But thats just me. Another example is with Jiansonz.

If you are happy with how you planned this tournament, then thats perfectly fine and good luck!

Spill blood :nod:!