Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tough Tips - Post your best strategy here

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Tough Tips - Post your best strategy here

The great thing about this game for me is strategy. There are such differing ways to play depending on your playstyle.

What's your best strategy for dealing with a certain type of monster/boss/area? Doesn't have to be the 'usual suspects', could be avoiding the "xxxx was killed by quill rats" on arriving in Hell. :smiley:

If this gets a decent response, I'll tidy it up and FAQ it.

=====

For me:
    Know your maps.
    Quietes Map Guides
    Getting aong without MH

Your merc is generally more fragile than you. Tank for it. I always tank for my merc at Memphy and never use the moat trick.

Duriel:
    For sorcs get prepared to run back to town a lot. If you're in normal, meleee don't rely on a weak spell.

Always keep rejuvs and a scroll in your belt. Mine is on the space bar because it's fast and easy to hit.

Bosses:

Andy: Drink a lot of poison antidotes before going after and give them to your merc too. Take about six or so in one go

Duriel: Hard. Get a TP up outside in case you die and be prepared to go back to town to get your merc and more pots. This guy on normal almost made me quit.

Memph: Tank. Your merc can't leech from him, so he will likely die.

Diablo: The original boss and it shows. His habit of bone prisoning your TPs is annoying. The fire/light res you have needs to be good for this guy. If you are a necro, get decrap.

Baal: Crushing blow is great. Usually persistance is the key here. His breath mana drains you so use mana pots not rejuvs.

All: Use static if you are a sorc. That's what it's there for. In normal it saves you a lot of work and 50% in Hell. That's a lot of whapping.

FE/LE: Fire/light enchanted. Watch out for the death explosions. And the little sparkles coming out of them when you hit them. Scarabs in act2 is a particular PitA.

Gloams: Ah yes. Gloams. Taunt if you're a barb. Send the moron to get fried if you aren't or aren't wearing Tgods.

===

I'm sure you guys can do better than that. Be sure to mention if it's for a particular type of character. :wave:

2. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Re: Tough Tips - Post your best strategy here

Well I'll break the ice. Don't know if what I have to offer is groundbreaking (lol) but here goes.
    With my still-developing HC Trapsin, I use CoS and MindBlast in conjunction. I cast Cos then lay traps. More often than not, some random monster from outside the CoS radius will enter unaffected after I have cast CoS so I hit it with MindBlast. (ATM Mindblast only needs 1 hard point for this to be effective) In addition, after the brawl, my traps often have residual charges so instead of laying new ones I go looking for monsters, lure them back to the trapped area and zap 'em again. This is especially helpful if, like me, you have Mana issues. Hope this helps.

3. lukin

lukin IncGamers Member

For running Hell Andy on high players setting with a weaker character...

Get rid of your merc. Mercs will almost always trigger Andy to come get you before you can properly clear the front of the chamber as they go after the shaman that sits beyond the front part. If you are dealing with a pack of zombies or those lightning ball guys and Andy comes out as well....sayonara. By getting rid of the merc, you have total control over when she comes out.

For melee characters...keep a wand on switch for Act 4 and 5 to deal with OK's. Something with high elemental damage is ideal.

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Also not groundbreaking...

Always abuse the terrain. The AI is silly. Large bosspacks can be split up with clever usage of narrow corridors, fences, and minions. Also, if you happen to be ranged, try luring tougher monsters into places where they get stuck, so you can slowly chip away at their HP from afar. For an example, see below.

At the end of the Frozen River, different platforms are separated by narrow bridges. Drop a minion, or leave your merc to fight the big baddy (Frozenstein) while you position yourself a platform or two away. Recast your minion or TP home to reposition your merc. Frozenstein and his crew will be stuck staring at you from across the platforms, while you happily chip away at his HP. The same principles can be applied elsewhere.

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Other than the first time or two that I faced Duriel, I don't remember any significant difficulties. Here's how I do it:

Mandatory:
    1. Use healing potions. If you run out, return to town and buy more.
    2. Having FR/W is nice so you can outrun him (or at least make some space from time to time). Teleport is error prone (for some bugged reason).

Recommended:
    3. A tanking merc helps.
    4. Since his holy-freeze aura makes you go slow, cause some cold damage to make him go slow too.

Battle Strategy:
    - the first thing you do when stepping through the crevice is STAND STILL. Your merc and Duriel will charge each other - so the merc gets to absorb that first charge (which can be a little painful). What I mean by "stand still" is that you shouldn't run around, but you can still attack if you're ranged or a caster).
    - the second thing I do after stepping through the crevice is throw up a town portal. If the merc dies or you run out of potions, use it. When you return to continue the battle, throw up the next town portal immediately - don't wait until you're almost dead and out of potions.
    - drink your potions. A lot. Feed potions to the merc to keep him alive.
    - if you have to tank Duriel (or more likely, he ignores your merc), then back off and run around in circles when your life gets low, and take a second to let your potions replenish your life. Speaking of which, in case it wasn't clear:
    - drink your damn potions! When you run out, go get more.

... I don't find Duriel's attack to be dangerous (or hard-hitting) enough to be a real threat often. More likely, the aura + knockback is annoying because you'll go so slow and/or have your attack interrupted. So stay patient and drink a :censored: potion.

Edit: Tip for fighting Baal:

The Festering Appendages that Baal makes have very poor defense. They can be fantastic helpers for characters that need to "charge up" their attack (especially characters with low(ish) Attack Rating). For example, imagine a Phoenix Strike assassin that wants to keep dropping meteors on Baal (one attack at an appendage to charge the skill, another attack at Baal to release the charge). Or a FuryWolf that wants to charge up FeralRage, or...

Also, if you're playing a melee build, I think you can leech from the Festering Appendages.

Edit: Tip for gloams with amazons

Decoy is nice for absorbing some damage. Since Gloams like to stay at long range, you can often throw up a Decoy to draw a lot of fire from the majority of a large group, while you focus on individual monsters.

Edit: Manaburn and strong-poison-damage attacks:

it's often better to drink blue or red potions instead of purples.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  6. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Hehe, I always thought that was a bug, too, but thinking about it, it is like this because a sorc could otherwise just teleport out of the room Duriel is in. :thumbsup:

7. MukTuk

MukTuk IncGamers Member

Ancients: When you're fighting Talic, get right up to some kind of edge or a wall and put yourself between him and that wall/edge. This way, he is unable to use his Whirlwind attack. I noticed that he often stands still for seconds at a time as well, perhaps this is when his AI fails to use WW and so he sits dumb for a few seconds.

Frenzytaurs: If you're being chased by a large pack and can't seperate them, one thing to try is to actually let one or two get in a hit. This sounds suicidal, and it might just be, but the ones that hit you will have Frenzy actived and will run faster, so if you can out-run the non-Frenzyied ones, you can seperate the Frenzied ones from the rest and split the group up a bit, giving you better odds.

If you're being chased by something thats fast enough that you can't lose them, and dangerous enough that you can't stand and fight, then run as far away into a corner and jump through a TP. Come back into the area through the WP or the WP in a preceeding area. Sometimes you might not even have the time to create a TP, so this is where having a pre-cast TP somewhere is handy. If the TP is far enough away from the entrance to the area, you can jump through and come back and either leave the pack there or edge slowly towards where you left them and try and coax one or two away at a time. You can also instead run to a WP and come through a pre-made TP or another WP further back. In other words: just think with portals =p

8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

true, but sometimes it still won't trigger if you're targeted within the main chamber.

I definitely think Teleport's bugged in Duriel's chamber, but I haven't tested it enough to have a "certain" opinion (or tried to search for a discussion of it)..

9. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

Here's a simple one that I've found useful: When selling things in town, if you have loot in your cube just drop it on the ground. Everything will pop into your inventory, or fall on the ground if there's no space. It's faster than unloading it item by item. The same trick can be used to spread a bunch of potions around on the Arreat summit if you feel the need to have more potions available than will fit in your inventory for a tough fight against the Ancients.

mv

10. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

@midnightvulture, thx heaps for that tip. Its so frustrating to unload that cube sometimes.

11. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

On some hard bosses, while it might be hard to get the boss to stop aggroing you... if you have a tough merc or summon, it sometimes is more advantageous to have the boss chase you while your hireling pecks away at him. Always consider all possible strategies before sticking with one and using it for hours on end.

12. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Necro vs. act bosses: IM them, drop Gumby at their feet, repeat as often as necessary. Works like a charm. Gumby (all of them) will hate you for abusing them in this manner, but it works and is safe. Against minions, all bosses get a 7x damage multiplier to their already powerful melee attacks. Depending on what kind of necro you are, this might be better than decrepify. Against normal diablo, this IS better than decrepify.

Tip for amazons to separate the ancients: before you hit the altar, drop the decoy right by Madawc, between him and the altar. Being a ranged attacker, he will move away from his "enemy", that is, away from the altar and his friends. Simultaneously, move in the other direction. Talic and Korlic (or sometimes just Talic) will follow you.

13. Thrandir

Thrandir IncGamers Member

Necro vs. Ancients: keep a bone prison dropped around Madawc all the time until you're done with the other two. Talic and Korlic can escape prisons, but Madawc just stands there and shouts.

Tank vs. Duriel: Down a thawing potion before engaging him; it helps cold resists for a time.

Skelliemancer/Poisonmancer vs. normal Diablo: just grab a +3 Bspear wand and take him down with that.

14. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I remember back in the past, when I faced him for the first time, and after the Duriel's Chamber area loaded, game lagged, and after that - "you were slained by Duriel"...
    Anyway you can't teleport on some places in his chamber, particularly on a quite large area near the wall, which falls down after his death. I usually fight him around level 22-23 (untwinked) and mostly have no problems if I can bring enough potions (in 1.10/1.11). I also make a town portal as the first thing after entering his chamber and then let the merc have the first attack. That draws Duriel's attantion on merc, then I enter into the combat...

15. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Just a couple of simple things...

For champion packs, try targeting any Fanatic/Berserk ones first, if there are any. They do a ton of damage, but have the least health.

Against tough bosses (regular uniques [oxymoron? :laugh: ], not act bosses or most other superuniques), if all of the minions are dead, paladins/barbarians/assassins (using Smite/Bash/Dragon Talon, respectively) can stunlock them to death by pinning the boss is against a wall. I find it especially useful against Lightning Enchanted bosses, since you can usually position yourself so that the bolts miss you (though you'll just have to hope any minions are smart enough to do the same). This is also nice for Blood Raven, since the knockback animation stops her from running away or summoning more zombies. Don't try it on act bosses, though; they're immune to knockback. Needless to say, also make sure that you don't run out of mana. You can do this to a limited degree with other classes if you have knockback from equipment, but I think it's only guarenteed against "small" enemies (so don't think that Cleglaw's gloves will let you get an easy kill on Frozenstein).

16. nilynrae

nilynrae IncGamers Member

Off the top of my head...

Baal - slow him right down. Gumby, decrep or use other equipment with the slowing effect either on your merc or yourself (kelpie snare etc.) His attacks barely ever get off with the Kelpie on a merc.

AI - in extension to someone who posted previously. Make good use of doorways if you need to take on monsters one or two at a time.

MV - nice cube tip. Thanks!

17. branmuffins

branmuffins IncGamers Member

Baal: Think most people know this one but an Act Two merc using a Kelpie slows him down enough that he becomes extremely impotent and easy to kill. The trick is keeping your merc from getting distracted by the appendages.

Sorcs: Telekinesis is an amazing ability and something I know I didnt really use for a long time but it is great for popping chests and picking up things, as well as using it's knockback to separate mobs especially if you run into immune monsters that your merc has to kill.

18. MukTuk

MukTuk IncGamers Member

It is amazing. Here are some additional tips:

For the cautious/paranoid player, TK is also useful for opening doors from a safe distance and giving you some space between you and whatever's lurking in the next room. I find this especially useful in the ACT II tombs, where monsters often lay in wait just on the other side of the door.

TK can also be used to activate Teleport Pads in the arcane sanctuary as well, which can serve as a cheap teleport. Don't forget you can hit shrines and wells from a distance too, this is sometimes handy in battles before you have teleport available.

Finally, you can hit Evil Urns with TK as well, although sometimes the monsters will still spawn close/on you, it at least feels somewhat safer than walking up next to it and clicking it.

19. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Tip for hard spots: Keep a scroll of tp in your belt. It will activate without showing a casting animation. Especially helpfull to amazons.

20. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

If you're having WSK woes, try using a natures peace. It'll keep wave 2 down and any other nasties that used to be in the throneroom (damn dolls, gloams and oKs!).