Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Total Newb Barb Needs Help...

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Diablo2Slave, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Diablo2Slave

Diablo2Slave IncGamers Member

Total Newb Barb Needs Help...

Alright I came straight from Dnd To Diablo 2 LoD And since my favorite char to play was a half-orc barbarian i noticed that Diablo had a barbarian class so I started to play one last night but screwed up on skills since i had no idea what i was doing, well to get to my question i was wondering what build would best suit me i like high dmg but a strong defense as well hence the not dying part or as often. i like the mace for a one handed weapon never quite got into the sword since well i always seen the sword as a more civilized weapon than the mace and well i was wondering if its at all possible for a person to reply with a build with skills to max along with stat points needed for the build im not reall good with the enough for this and that in hals post no offence intended but since im a newb i have no idea how much ill really need but the once thing ive noticed is most barbs pump vit? well if you guys could post with stat points and skills i will want to definatly use a mace for a weapon...

2. Skarphedinn

Skarphedinn IncGamers Member

Well, have we (or has Hal rather) got the perfect build for you. Try the concentration barb, I think theres a sticky at the top of the forum. As far as maces for weapons go, maybe a schaeffers hammer or bstar? Not really sure there, I decided to go thundermaul for some good old fashioned monster killing goodness

3. Diablo2Slave

Diablo2Slave IncGamers Member

Stat points to get to for optimal success

Plz. Fill this in when or if you reply
    Str:
    Dex:
    Vita:
    Energy:
    As far as Energy goes i belive that there is no need since well concentration has a low or semi-low mana cost along with mana steal or atleast mana after each kill would be sufficiant
    As for gear I'm going poormans basically what i can by from the stores and what i manage to find while doing solo pit runs i'm not a mfer but hey people say mf helps but isnt necesary for finding good stuff.
    I might go mace but since everyone seems to eaither boust that axes and swords are best for a SS Conc Barb. then well i guess ill go with the flow as they say :p Would appreciate a good strong reply because all i know how to do is kill stuff and get killed sadly. And also maybe items to look out for i know the storm shield is one and grandfarther sword or Botd Zerker axe which i have no idea what Botd means... but im sure it means something good. since everyone seems to like it. well ill be going plz people go post crazy with helpful info ofcoarse. :p~

4. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Didn't Hal say anything about the Stat points in the guide? :p

Strenght: enough for the end-game gear (SS, 156 req)
    Dexterity: enough to achieve max. blocking rate, 75%
    Vitality: all the rest
    Energy: obviously none

However, I wouldn't use stat points in that way, because with the proper equipment you've more than enough life, good life leech, good resists and a lot of DR. In a nutshell, I'd spend more points in str for extra dmg, just because the concentrate barb LACKS killing speed.

But since you're poor it might be good to get as much as life you can just to survive :p

Also, don't choose mastery until you know what your end-game weapon will be.

BotD is a runeword, take a look at here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml

5. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I dunno, str isn't as great as it used to be, since leech can be resisted now and enemies have more life in general, thus a small boost in damage from str won't really make killing noticeably faster. The more vit the better too, since that will help you against heavy defense-ignorers and elemental/magical flingers. If he really wants to increase killing speed, getting a weapon with good base damage, some crushing blow/deadly strike items, and most importantly, hitting a good frame (10 or 9) would be the best bet.

It's really just a toss up of what he wants. I have two copies of the barb at 99, one with 156 base str and one with 81 base str; the 156er has around 280-300 max damage, while the one with 81 has around 800-1000 more life. Both still hit for over 7000 damage, so it's just a toss-up for what he wants.

Thinks for covering my butt with that reply btw, I've been busy this weekend and havn't been able to jump to questions like I should ;)

-Hal