Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Torrents etc.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Torrents etc.

Okay, I've been downloading stuff for the Mac for a while now but the forum I am a member of is apparently rather notorious in the Mac community and it banned links to torrents. Instead, everything came off things like KDX Servers and RapidShare. So now I am on a PC as well and am looking for certain things for the stupid gigantic beige box and I was advised to get Limewire because torrents are the 'best' way to share. WTF? From my experiences so far this is a load of crap.

From RapidShare or something I get download speeds of around 24kbps on my 256k DSL. A 100Mb file takes 60 minutes per hour. On Limewire I am getting an between 1 and 7kbps. A file that shouldn't take anymore than around 3 and a half hours has so far taken almost 2 days and is still only about 15% complete.

Am I missing something or is the hype about torrents simply a load of rubbish? This is ridiculous.

Not that I would do anything in th elegal grey-zone of course. :innocent:

2. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

I didn't know Limewire was torrents, I thought it was P2P. Shows what I know.

I do know that torrents, much like P2P, download faster when there are more seeders (people allowing other to upload a certain file). So if you're trying to download a 1.3gb movie from only one seeder, you could be waiting a VERY long time. However if there's 30 or more seeders then you'll have it in no time. I know I've had torrents download at upwards of 300kb/sec on Cable speed, but these are usually new and popular downloads with 100 or more seeders.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

There's a difference between torrents and P2P?

4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Limewire speeds suck indeed.

Same with the standard bittorrent client... (AKA BitTorrent)

MuTorrent for the win (Mu = greek letter of that name)

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

P2P is direct transfers.

Torrents have say 20 people all sending parts of the same file to one person.

Since upload speeds are usually a lot lower than download speeds Torrents have a lot higher theoretical max(I guess there is no max really) for download speeds.

6. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

Are you using a Router that has a firewall? You may need to open a few ports otherwise the speeds are in the toilet.

7. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

I just don't get it at all

and I use bearshare, if you know how to get rid of their retarded 'extra' software then it's great, but what I've found is that when you start downloading a file, you better get it right away or the user you saw it on is never going to be online again to dl from (unless it's a popular file)

8. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Just 60 minutes per hour, eh? What do you do with all the extra time? :)

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

while this thread is still alive, i use limewire free ver, works good on slow dsl and dialup, but when on high speed 3Mb/s cable it rarely goes past 20-30KB/s

there is supposed to be a paid ver that gives faster speeds and removes the adds, but its open-source, someone should have an unlocked copy

edit: actually your speeds are about right
    modems xfer rates are in Kb/s
    limewires speeds are in KB/s
    B = b x 10

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

How can you charge someone for something and then make it open source?

11. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

its the other way around, it started as freeware/open source now you have to pay for more features and to remove the adds

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh, I see. Still, if it's open source and there are ads in it... how hard can they possibly be to remove?

13. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

if you know java you can probably fix it pretty easily

14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

This is the correct answer. Half the people I okw who've been using torrents have had this problem. It's the first thing you should look into.

15. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I wouldn't know where to begin to try and find an answer to this question...

Surprising that not only I missed my own typo after proof-reading, but Dondrei missed it too. It was a typo btw, I decided to rephrase the sentence and didn't delete properly.

Limewire is using sources. I have 5 sources giving me what I am downloading right now. A rose by any other name... seeds or sources that's a torrent isn't it? There is a direct p2p window, but the main one uses multiple sources to download.

Actually this reminds me of a thread I was going to make the other day. I was searching for BSG episodes to download while the servers were down and a huge amount of google hits came back about BSG, torrents and the future of television content delivery. It seems BSG is the most downloaded television program ever and while some people are saying it will end soon because the networks will shut it down, others are saying that this is an indicator of things to come. In future it may actually be more profitable for both FTA and Pay TV to deliver content as a high speed "torrent". Let's face it, very few people actually watch every single program on every channel they have. When Buffy was on it was the only program I watched on that channel except for the odd movie of the week. If I had the option to have the entire season of Buffy, B5 and BSG (is there a pattern here?) streamed straight to my set-top box I would sit there and have a marathon and never change the channel. I'm watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it and so long as the ads are in between acts and not imposed as a ticker bar or something else just as intrusive, I would be happy to watch them. Hmmm... Maybe this should have been a new thread after all...

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't correct every typo I find. Hell, my hit rate must be about 1/100 at most.

17. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Try 8.

A byte is eight bits.

18. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

P2P refers to any direct connection between two people's computers (in file sharing terms). The term developed to distinguish it from news groups and the like where you are downloading a file off of a server. So torrents are in fact a type of P2P, though P2P is not specifically torrents. You could have a file sharing program that connected you to one single host for your download and that would be P2P as much as a torrent is.

Edit- @ Gertlex if we want to be really nitpicky, a byte is not by definition 8 bits. There have been uses of 7 and 9 bit bytes. An octet, on the other hand, is always 8 bits and a more specific term to use. I had a professor spend a semester pounding that into my head.

19. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Also depends what sites you are downloading the torrents from. Most public torrent sites are really slow, but the private torrent sites, that require someone to invite you, are pretty fast.
    Comparision. I was downloading Warhammer 40k:Dark Crusade off a public torrent site at 30kb per second. It was taking forever, especially for a 3.5 gig file. Friend gave me his account for a private torrent site, and I was cruising at 350-400kb per second.

20. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

when data is stored its 8, when xfered its normlly a little slower, over serial its generally 10, start bit and stop bits are added to each byte