Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tornament: Weaponless (Revised)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JohnnyBravo, Jan 28, 2004.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

Tornament: Weaponless (Revised)

Here are the rules:

1: You must play HC. (I also thought of a SC with a "three strikes your out" rule)

2: You must do full clears. You can however skip areas and return to them later.

3: You can not repeat any areas.

4: No weapons are allowed (see 10 for exceptions)

5: You may use any other equipment you see fit (see 10 for excepttions)

6: Any players setting may be used and you can change it at any time.

7: You can not mule anything onto your character.

8: You can choose your class and may assign stat and skill points as you see fit. (see 10 for exceptions)

9: You may use any merc at any time in any way you see fit, but they must go weaponless also. You can revive your merc.

10: Exceptions
    A: The line of thown potions may be used.
    B: If you are playing assasin and using the kick line of skills you may not
    use boots.
    C: All class specific items may be used unless they are weapons
    D: Because the sorceress can excell in this area her skills will be limited to
    the following: Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Static Field, Teleport,
    Nova, Frost Nova and the line of cold shields.
    E: The Paladin Smite skill is not allowed.
    F: The Druid and Necromancer will be limited to only one minion cast at a
    time. (You can put points in and use all of them, but only have one
    cast)
    G: Charms are allowed to increase your attack and is recomended.

Please do not post saying this tourney will be hard. It is supposed to be or it would not be any fun. If you don't like it just don't post. Let me know if you are interested however. Thank you.

2. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

My character limitations would be:

Necromancer: The minions you talked about + No Spear/Spirit. He may use the Poison Dagger bug for it's AR increase (have Poison Dagger selected without wielding a dagger). Corpse Explosion and Poison Explosion should be left at base 1. No Poison Nova. Teeth may be taken as a prerequisite.

Barbarian: All skills allowed, but Warcry should not be used to kill.

Paladin: Holy Shock and Holy Fire is out of question. Holy Freeze should not be used to kill. Blessed Hammer and Fist of the Heavens are banned too.

Asssassin: No traps whatsoever!

Druid: No elemental attacks.

Sorceress: What you just said. Frost Nova should not be used to kill.

Amazon: Is nerfed badly enough already. Leave her be.

3. JohnnyBravo

I think it is a great idea for a tournament, but people said it would be too hard the way I had it before (resisting the sorcceress more). If I go and make it harder like you said no one would want to play. I dunno maybe it is too tough. My sorc is having a bit of a problem, but I am not using anything really. Just one point in Chilling armor, one in telekenisis, the rest went into warmth for synergy with Enchant. I am also playing on players 8 and have not found any charms or anything it help with me attack. You'd be surprised what a 6 over 3 posion charm will do. I still think Static Field should not be allowed for it makes it too easy. But I let it in because everyone was saying how tough it would be. Oh well.

4. Indemaijinj

I just really wanted to force everyone to use their fists.

A Trapsin or a Hammerdin for example could play on as usual with only minor annoyances. The same with all the other spell-caster types.

And remember, no one ever said that you should be able to complete the entire game under these tourney rules.

5. JohnnyBravo

I see your point and I ultimately agree with you, but if I can't get anyone to play then what is the point of the tournament?

6. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

The pull is too strong. "Must...play...tourney...." (Five at the same time! I need to get some of my characters killed soon....)

I am interested in competing with a necromancer under the rules discussed. He will be called Isorion.

By the way, I think the sorceress shouldn´t be allowed to use Nova at all and that Static Field should not be allowed on Normal (where you can almost kill with it) except against Act bosses (Cow King included), Izual, Hephasto, Nihlathak and The Ancients.

7. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

I'm interested but you must look at the rules agains.

it's to much easy and hard at the same time.
    easy because some builds are autorized (with no use of weapon)

so you can change by : no damage spell, no summon (or only one).
    but know you are like the precedent tourney with only dagger used. the tourney go down because to difficult to play for lot of people.

8. ChickenOfPower

ChickenOfPower IncGamers Member

I am interested, regardless of what rules we will use, although i would favor the stricter ones proposed by Indemaijinj. I am gonna use a paladin or druid, most likely.

9. JohnnyBravo

All these limitations will now hearby be part of the rules. I don't play all the characters or varients so it is hard for me to say X skill should not be allowed.

These rules will also now be incorporated. Again because of my lack of understanding of some skills.

Now for an update: (My weaponless Enchantress is my new character and will be playing her wether or not this tourney gets off the ground)

Even with 1-2 damage everything so far is pretty easy. Blood Raven was not that difficult (I was on players 1). I however have been playing mostly on players 8 and I have not had any real close calls. It would take a while for something to drop, but that is about it. ColdCrow took a while. I'm glad I got my merc first because she did all the damage. I just keep ColdCrow busy.
    Tonight (I'm at work now) I plan to clear out the Stony Field. I haven't found any charms or jewels (which are also allowed) yet. Although a couple of Rings of Craftsmanship (+1 to damage) have really helped out. I'm now a sliver below lvl 12 and my merc is lvl 8.

It has been a lot of fun so far. I've never wanted a 1-2 fire damage charm or the like to drop. That is really what I was going for... Being excited and wanting some normally crappy charm to drop so that we can get a couple more points into damage.

10. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Hmmm... I'm tempted to play a punch-barb, just to see if I can beat my last time (I made it to Travincal).

But this time I have to do full clears...but get to revive my merc :) There have been tougher tourney rules before, but yes it does tend to net you less players.

So can you hit ESC to avoid death? In the majotity of HC tourneys this isn't allowed. Just curious.

I have so much on my plate right now, but will think it over.

11. DuesNox

DuesNox IncGamers Member

I'm in but could you combine all the new rules together? It will make it easier... I would like to be a barb but hopefully I can find some charms.
    his name shall be Drunken_Boxer. :) I thought it was clever

12. JohnnyBravo

I'm at work right now so this evening I will compile the rules in a new post.

13. JohnnyBravo

Revised & Clearified Rules

Here are the rules:

1: You must play HC.

2: You must do full clears. You can however skip areas and return to them later.

3: You can not repeat any areas.

4: No weapons are allowed (see 11 for exceptions)

5: You may use any other equipment you see fit (see 11 for exceptions)

6: Any players setting may be used and you can change it at any time.

7: You can not mule anything onto your character.

8: You can choose your class and may assign stat and skill points as you see fit. (see 11 for exceptions)

9: You may use any merc at any time in any way you see fit, but they must go weaponless also.

10: You can not esc/save & exit to avoid death

11: Exceptions :

A: The line of thrown potions may be used.

B: If you are playing assassin and using the kick line of skills you may not use boots.

C: Charms and jewels are allowed, and recommended, to increase your damage.

D: Skills will be limited in the following ways:

Amazon: None

Assassin: Trap Tree is not allowed

Barbarian: Warcry is not to be use to intentionally kill.

Druid: Elemental Tree is not allowed. The Druid and Necromancer will be limited to only one minion cast at a time. (You can put points in and use all of them, but only have one cast)

Paladin: Holy Shock, Holy Fire, Blessed Hammer, Fist of the Heavens and Smite is not allowed. Holy Freeze should not be used to kill.

Necromancer: See Druid. Poison Dagger bug may be used. (Using Poison Dagger without a dagger gives you the AR bonus of Poison Dagger) Corpse and Poison Explosion, Teeth one point is allowed. Bone Spear and Spirit and Poison Nova are not allowed.

Sorceress: Are limited to Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Static Field, Teleport and Frost Nova. One point in telekinesis is allowed as a prerequisite. Static field can not be used until NM except against Act bosses (Cow King included), Izual, Hephasto, Nihlathak and The Ancients and Frost Nova should not be used to kill.

14. Indemaijinj

I am off to make my tourney character.

Say hello to Kickflipper the hottest chick of the dojo.

15. ChickenOfPower

ChickenOfPower IncGamers Member

Enter PowerPoultry, a paladin of paranormally peerless potential. (Yay, senseless alliteration!)

Good luck to all!

16. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

JohnnyBravo:

In the compiled rules listing, you forgot to mention that the sorceress is allowed to use the cold armors...

Two more questions (I´m really a pain, aren´t I?):

* Shouldn´t the Druid be allowed to use Cyclone Armor (from the "banned" elemental tree)? I think so. He should still not be allowed to use the prerequisites for it, though.

* For my necromancer, I want to put one point in Bone Spear as a prerequisite for Bone Prison. Can I do that if I never use Bone Spear?

Isorion the necromancer (he is actually a dark elven mage in disguise, just so you know...) started his journey today. He punched his way through the Blood Moor (on players 8). After the first level-up (3-4 monsters), he could use Amplify Damage. He liked that, since he could now kill the zombies twice as fast. :D Second level-up got him Bone Armor.

After clearing the Moor, Isorion peeked out onto the Cold Plains, only to find a Spectral Hit rogue boss pack. He ran back to the Moor, to a waiting Skill Shrine. Two minions followed. With an extra buff Bone Armor and Amplify that lasted longer, he defeated the rogues and gained level 6. That got him Dim Vision, Corpse Explosion and Clay Golem. He could also start using his pack of Strangling Gas Potions (level requirement of 6 on those). They rock! One of them is often enough to kill a Fallen Shaman.
    (Note: you can´t punch when you hold throwing potions. Use the weapon switch for them.)

He found the Burial Grounds, killed all undead until Blood Raven stopped raising them. Then it was a lot of punching by him and the golem, mixed with poison potions. Raven was defeated and Isorion got a temporary companion, Meghan the Cold Rogue.

This team of three cleared up to the Plains and all dungeons therein. Isorion reached level 11 (very close to level 12). He is looking forward to his next level-up, which will give him Golem Mastery, Bone Wall, Iron Maiden and Terror.

With a small charm doing 1-2 fire damage and two +1 max damage rings, Isorion´s punches now do 3-10 damage against Amped enemies.

My plan for this character is to make a golemancer with a lot of crowd control (curses and Bone Wall/Prison). If he lives that long, this will be the first necromancer that I max a golem skill with (Iron Golem). I may even put points in other golems for synergies. Against strong melee enemies, the golem will do good damage with its thorns. Against other enemies, Isorion will mostly act as a sidekick for his Iron Wolf companion, providing a meat shield and crowd control. I will probably be a fast learner on how to get the most carnage out of my tiny radius Corpse Explosions.
    This can get really interesting...

Good luck to all of you!

17. Indemaijinj

I would deem unused prerequisites completely acceptable:

Anyways here is my report:

Kickflipper is a kickboxer. AKA a weapon(and boot)less martial arts assassin. In my sick mind this rules out a shield as well because it looks stupid.

Well, she has reached level 12 and got the Stony Field waypoint. She has completed the Den of Evil and the Blood Raven quest (she has not recieved her mercenary however as I want her to get as much levels under her belt in act 1 as possible and I am fairly convinced in my own abilities to handle act 1 normal).

I have been pleasantly suprised how much butt she can (quite literally) kick. Coldcrow under Players 8, who is usually the first enemy to be a concern to my struggling character. Not here, however. She just steamrolled over her and her pack chugging a measly two minor red potions and one minor blue.

Sure I got chilled. Sure I didn't care as long as Burst of Speed was active.

Well her status as for now is:

Difficulty: Normal
    Act: 1
    Quests: Den of Evil, Blood Raven (haven't recieved reward yet).
    Waypoints: Cold Plains, Stony Field.
    Level: 12

Stats:
    Strength: 60
    Dexterity: 20
    Vitality: 30
    Energy: 25

Skills:

Martial arts tree:
    Tiger Strike: 6
    Cobra Strike: 1
    Dragon Talon: 1
    Dragon Claw: 1 (prerequisite)
    Fists of Fire: 1

Shadow tree:
    Claw Mastery: 1 (prerequiste)
    Burst of Speed: 1

Gear:

Weapon: NONE!
    Shield: NONE!

Hat: Strong Skull Cap of Balance
    Shirt: Superior Studded Leather (2 empty sockets)
    Gloves: Leather Gloves of Remedy
    Belt: Sash of Regeneration
    Boots: NONE!

Ring 1: Crimson Ring of Light
    Ring 2: Beryl Ring of Strength
    Amulet: Amulet of Greed

Charms:
    Stout Large Charm of Blight
    Small Charm of Frost

18. JohnnyBravo

The Cold armors for the sorceress are, of course, allowed and cyclone armor is allowed for the druid. Sorry for missing those.

All prerequisite are allowed one point only and, of course, is not allowed to be used.

You guys are having a lot easier time then I am. Mika, my weaponless Enchantress, is going very slowly. My cold Rogue, Blaise, is not much help. I hope to find a +20 over 2 jewel I can put in her armor which would help a lot. I cleared the Stony Field, Underground Passage, and the Dark Woods today. I also took a little trip to Tristam to save Cain.

The Stony Field was not that bad. Slow, but pretty steady. The Underground Passage was quite the opposite. I found two cold enhanced Unigues. Me with my measly 1-5 damage had no effect on them. I had to rely on my Merc. As you can guess a Cold Rogue took a VERY long time to kill a cold enhanced boss.

Dark Woods was a bit easier, but there was a very close call with a pack of Carvers and two Shaman firing away at me. Finally I found some help in the way of charms in the Dark Woods. I now have 2 +5 over 3 poison grand charms and a 1-4 lightening large charm.

I now do 12-19 damage. Not too bad and monsters drop a lot quicker. I've have it set to players 8 the whole time. I'm now lvl 15 and my merc is now lvl11.

I've put 1 point in Telekenisis and Chilling Armor and the rest went into warmth. I currently have 13 points in Warmth which will help out a lot when I turn 18.

19. DuesNox

DuesNox IncGamers Member

Drunken_bozer is level 8, apparantly losing.

When i finished today im like yea i did good. But then i realized you guys are at cain. Im at cold plains wp i cleared all of cold plains and about to complete the cave in cold plains and then do blood raven witch i feel is going to take forever with my 1-9 damage.

20. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I can't pass on this tourney :D

Say hello to Tyson_II the Punch Barb. (He is the 1.10 version of Tyson the 1.09 prototype.) His goal: Destroyer

Started off at players8 to gain levels quickly, but after meeting up with a cold enchanted group of archers immediately upon entering the Cold Plains, decided to run at Players3 until I get a merc.

Level 8
    A1 Cold Plains WP, 1 quest complete
    Skills: Bash-4, Leap, Howl, Taunt, Shout
    Str 35, Dex 35, Vit 40, Erg 10

Right now Tyson keeps Shout active & uses a plain punch attack, but bashes tougher monsters. Also has poison pots on the switch to soften up foes like Coldcrow. Already found a 3-soc large shield which will be filled with flawed diamonds or damage jewels, whichever I manage to scrounge up first. No damage charms yet.