Torn on what kind of WW barb to make...

ArcTeryx

Diabloii.Net Member
Torn on what kind of WW barb to make...

Basically, I really don't know what kind of WW barb to make. I'm thinking that my two options are a pole barb (EBotD Giant Thresher) and a sword/shield barb (EBotD CB + Phoenix). I have two questions that would help me decide...

1. How does the damage compare between a EBotD Giant Thresher and a 1-handed EBotD CB with a Phoenix shield. The only reason I'm asking this is because the shield adds 350-400% damage. Would this help make up the gap in damage against a GThresher?

2. Are the differences in weapon speed more or less negligible? If I were to go 1-handed, would a beserker axe be the way to go over a CB for this reason?

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm new to the barbarian class and I can't wait to get started. Any other tips are appreciated.

maxusmag

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a lvl 80 ww barb with a ebotd thunder maul.

i have no issues at all unless i am fighting undead (no life leech from certain undead) this does cause problems

i have enough life leech that i can pretty much handle anything (except undead) if you do a 2 handed weapon and no shield.

your warcries are very very important in keeping you alive. mana leech and life leech are a must.

after shout i have about 9.7k defense.

Clay bizzle

Diabloii.Net Member
Well even with Phoenix your 1 hander won't have the damage of the EBoTD GT. Phoenix doesn't have good blocking or really any good mods that a WW barb should look for. If you are really looking for a compromise between the two then I would say use the EBoTD CB and SS for a shield when you need it, then if you feel the situation calls for more damage and doesn't require blocking/resists... Then use the CB two handed.

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're going for 2h weapon, use ebotd war pike or ebotd ghost spear.
war pike for looks (which imo makes people look stupid that spend money on weapon that doesnt even hit last breakpoint :grin: )
ghost spear/great poleaxe if you want better dmg output, war pike does have higher dmg but war pike not hitting last breakpoint makes it do less over time

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
agreed
gpa and gs are much better choices than a warpike
you might find the damage high, but it's seriously irritating when u get ww gaps where you don't hit anything at all because of the slower checkpoints

sirwhere

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, if you make short whirls, a war pike performs approximately as a ghost spear or great poleaxe.

Wacken

Diabloii.Net Member
My only advise is to make your first barb a frenzy barb. It's more fun and it kills faster :)

DEA

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, if you make short whirls, a war pike performs approximately as a ghost spear or great poleaxe.
you're right to a certain extent
but in practical terms, short whirls in mobs will end up in you smacking the monster with your war pike instead of whirling
which is irritating, to say the least