Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Top Iraq Cleric Survives Assassination Attempt

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, Feb 5, 2004.

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Top Iraq Cleric Survives Assassination Attempt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15963-2004Feb5.html

Gee whiz ... the assassination of this revered holy man would set off a powder keg over there.

What a fine mess we have gotten ourselves into ...

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

More proof that separation of church and state is neccessary.

This is a big problem in countries where the majority of the people are uneducated and living on a subsistence level. The idiots in the pulpit take advantage of this to further thier own ideas.

Religious hatred is as bad if not worse than racial hatred. Ugly no matter how you slice it.

NB :)

3. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

While much of what you say is often true, who gave us the right to decide what type or system of government they shall have? If the Iraqis decide that they wish a cleric-dominated democracy ... if they vote for it ...then how can we say no?

After all, it's their nation ... not ours.

Gandhi was once asked what he thought about western civilization. His response was: "I think it would be a good idea."

4. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

For the most part, I have to agree with you, also. (scary :lol: )

Religious fundamentalist governments are the root of the problem in the middle east. The US is not going to stop supporting Israel, this is a fact. Israeli support is why the fundamentalist moslems hate the US.

While it is none of our business how other countries rule themselves, when their rulers support whack-os like Al Queda, then it does become our business. The safety of America becomes paramount.

Arguments for or against the war aside, we are there. In the interest of global peaceful co-existence, a democratic civil government is in order. Case in point, the Taliban in Afghanistan or the Khomeini regime in Iran, twenty years ago.

It is indeed an ugly situation, we cannot walk away and leave something worse than what we started with.

The islamic fundamentalisis are not going to be happy until Israel is driven into the Mediterranean, and the entire world takes Fridays off. This is not acceptable to me.

We cannot let this happen, Ilad.

NB :)

5. guspasho

guspasho IncGamers Member

What's wrong with getting Friday off?

6. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

For all we know, the assassination attempt may have little to do with the religious factions in Iraq. In my opinion, Sistani's intervention in the rebuilding process is far more likely to create a stable nation in the future. He has the ability to get the Shiite populace united, and he's even supporting the concept of democracy. I doubt that he's going for a power grab, based on what his religious sect preaches- clerics should not be the rulers of the people. It seems conceivable that the assassination attempt, if it definitely occurred, was for the purpose of destabilizing Iraq's future, rather than simply eliminating a religious figure.

7. guspasho

guspasho IncGamers Member

I know who it was! It was that most evil man in the world, Kofi Annan! He did just announce he was going to Iraq to "negotiate a deal". This would be perfectly predictable behaviour of one so cruel. </Smeghead satire>

8. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Good point.

As long as I am not expected to bow to Mecca 5 times a day, Fridays off suits me fine.

Three day weekends, YEAH!

NB :D

9. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Given that most Christians and Jews have long since fled Iraq, there's no guarantee you're getting Saturday or Sunday off.

10. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Forget it then. NFL or NASCAR on Friday, is un-American.

NB :D