Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Too much MF for set items?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Imabadman, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Imabadman

Imabadman IncGamers Member

Too much MF for set items?

In reading the MF strategy guide located on this site, I noticed this:

"The game first determines what type of item will be dropped; Magic Find has no effect on this. Once the item is determined, your MF is checked in determining if the item is Unique, Rare, etc. The game rolls for Unique first, then Set, Rare, Magical, and normal."

Does this mean with a high MF you could be getting uniques more often and NOT set items?

I ask this because I am trying to complete some of the sets and am consistently finding more unique than set items. This has been over a period of three weeks at about nine hours a day with 900+ MF doing Meph and Baal runs in Hell.

As for the location, I actually saw this here:
    http://www.diabloii.net/items/modifiers/magic-find.shtml

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Perhaps, but the chance for unique isn't high enough to affect the chance for set by that much.
    With more MF you'll be seeing more sets and uniques anyway.

That page hasn't been updated in years, ignore the formulas and tables.

3. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I agree. The more MF is still the better... if you can afford it (which means if you don't need 15 minutes to kill Meph and die every 2 minutes!)
    With 800% MF, I don't get more uniques than set items. So don't worry.

4. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Holy Moo.

Holy Moo, 800 MF. Could you post your setup please?

5. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

To get 800 mf is not that amazing but absolutely unnecessary and in most situations - not that smart. Let´s see: a barb lvl 90
    weapon: 2*Alibaba soc 2*Ist each =300mf
    Shako/pt-------------------------= 74
    Skully/pt-------------------------=136
    2* perf nagels--------------------= 60
    perf Chances---------------------= 40
    perf WT--------------------------= 50
    perf Gheed´s---------------------= 40
    Amu------------------------------=40
    10*7mf sc------------------------=70
    You are over 800 allready - ready to enter empty games and hork bodies or open forgotten chests - you cant kill a single devilkin in this gear :lol:

If you raise your mf from 400 to 800 your effective chance to find uniques/sets increases about 40% only!!! At the same time your chances to make a balanced and effestive build decreases substantially.

6. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

i have never been one to use more then 400~500 %mf, as i like to have max killing power, speed and have as much mf as i can with out slowing or makeing it harder to stay alive. more mf is better but the odds in finding uniques and set dont change a lot after around 500mf. the game looks to drop a unique 1st then set then rare then magic and because the odds dont change a lot for set and uniques, you will have to do 1000s of runs to see the change in # of uniques and # of set found with say 500mf to 900mf. the way mf works is you will always find more sets then unique, more rares then sets, and more magic then rares. this is why most go for the speed factor 1st then add mf, but if you can kill at the same speed for 300 or 500 or 1000 then go for it