Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Too much is too much.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

More recently, though more anonymous a 'needy' person. The feelings of this forum were made plain in that thread.

But yeah, anyway. I'm done in this one.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I think the forum can be serious and there are those who will offer sympathy and support, I was just thinking of how one ought to be careful with what was apparently a sensitive issue being scrutinised by a large group of strangers. I mean, it can potentially be upsetting, particularly with the anonymity of the internet. Maybe I misjudged the situation and he was just asking if his problems would just be laughed at or denigrated.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I think maybe Freet has taken this to heart a little too much - it's a shame that the guy was discouraged from posting, true, and I think that the majority of posts in personal problem threads are supportive.

I think the moral of this story is to exercise caution at least.

4. Freet

Freet Diabloii.Net Member

FYI,

I have been chatting with him via PM and what he needed more than anything was a sympathetic ear. While I'm sure all of you can point at those that aren't capable of this, I can just as easily point to those that are willing to listen.

But a few of you have chosen to take a serious situation, without even knowing what it is, and make it worse by spouting uninformed opinions. And now you have the nerve to try to justify your actions by posting links to threads.

This is a truely sad day for the OTF.

I will chat with Elly about this and let you all know what my final decision is.

5. Star Dust

Star Dust Diabloii.Net Member

Were Dross' and my objections not legitmate? If not, explain why. I'm a caring person, but I'm not caring to the point of rejecting rationality.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You might not have been around for it all, but ArchEdgar was a huge troll in his day. He picked fights for no reason and had pissed a lot of people off before that thread.

Also Stevebo made valid points, sometimes being blunt is the best way to put things. Sugar-coating may be all well in good when it comes to telling kids about the toothfairy, but in the real world you actually have to look at your actions. Making out with a severely depressed girl when she is down is no ok, he needed to know that. Nit picking helps us gain information we need to give an honest answer. A lot of the time people ask questions to get both sides of the story, not just ranting and raving.

I think you guys all had the intention of "Go ahead, but beware" and took it too far. Not everyone on the internet is an insensitive jackass or someone who just jacks around all the time. Raffster has gotten good replies in the past, he must think so or he wouldn't come back.

7. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

Everybody relax for a while.

If the man wants to come back and post, let's give him a chance.

'Nuff said ...

8. Star Dust

Freet, I must give my input.

I agree with you on the state of the OTF. I don't post much, but I do read much. Something has been missing lately. However, I warn against taking drastic measures based upon a subjective opinion. You know you are an asset to these forums. There's more to this than our actions; there's also your influence. I don't mean to imply that it's up to you to change us, I mean that you already are. What is the point of this thread but to speak your mind? I, for one, am glad you did, and I will take your thoughts to heart and adjust accordingly. Do not give up because we've been blind. Only give up when we've been shown to see and still wish to be blind.

(That was more poetic and less sensible than I intended.)

(I blame Durf Jr. and beer.)

(Mostly beer.)

9. Star Dust

And I don't even freaking know what happened. Does anyone have a copy of the original post and possibly the first reply in question?

10. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

11. Freet

12. Star Dust

Hmm... after reading that [thread], I've gotta say I think you were overreacting, Freet.

[/honesty]

13. Freet

Ok, but I must re-state the obvious.

I have been conversing with this person via pm and I know what the problem is. He was not exaggerating at all when he said it was serious. And I can honestly state that, now that I know what the problem is, I'm confident we could have offered what he needed.

What concerns me at this moment though is that there are still those that are not hearing what I am saying and are dead set defending their rights to be *** hats. Not a valid arguement in my opinion and one that I will not continue listening to.

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

He asked a generic question and got a generic answer.

If his problem is a disease, I guarantee he would have been treated with nothing but compassion.

If his mother died, I guarantee he would have been treated with nothign but compassion.

If he got caught doing drugs or got his girlfriend pregnant, he would probably not be treated with compassion. He would probably be judged by many here and treated harshly, not necessarily out of hate but as a sort of tough criticism of his situation.

He got a fairly reasonable answer to a generic question like his from most of the posters in that thread.

15. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe a forum isnt the best place to be in if you feel that way? You know, the whole "not listening to" thing.

16. Freet

Maybe...time will tell.

17. Star Dust

I don't think he really got a chance to get the advice he was looking for. It was confirmed by at least you, Freet, that people here give their honest opinions about things. How can you blame them for that? Granted, most of the honest opinions have been cynical and sarcastic lately, but they're still honest. I think that if Laser spoke his mind, he'd get good advice if he knew going in that he'd get unblushed opinions, which is exactly what the first reply intended to inform him of. Being raw and blunt may turn one off, but it also relates profound insights. The truth is the truth. I will never blame anyone for enlightening me to it.

P.S., I'm still very glad you made this thread, Freet.

18. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

This is exactly what I feared. If Lazer's problem is something that might be a bit embarassing, maybe a tiny bit his fault, the last thing he needs is someone to yell at him, tell him that it's his fault, that he was an idiot. What he needs is some reassurance that the world isn't over, some perspective, and truthfully, I don't believe that he would get soley that. I was looking out for his best interests. I do apologize if I threw him off a possibly helpful outlet for his problems, but I don't think that my comment, nor anyone else's in the thread in question, deserves any sort of derogatory comment about their behavior. We were all speaking from experience, and though I may not have nearly as much as other people here, I still give what advice I can to best help people out (in most cases).

19. Freet

Well now you can find out.

Read his second thread.

20. Module88

Module88 Diabloii.Net Member

Oh please. Freet is hardly someone who won't "listen to" people. Have you ever seen a political thread? :shocked: I agree with Freet here. Since when did we just decide to turn our backs on people that needed help? Plenty of people have asked for advice, got it, and said it helped. I don't understand why all of a sudden this was a bad place to ask advice from. Perhaps even this forum offers better advice than even real life- after all, we do have our fair share of people who've undoubtedly been through more than most single people you'd meet in real life.

Who are you going to ask? Your parents? Parents here on the forum, raise your hands. Grandparents? Forumite grandparents, raise your hands. Teenagers with other issues? Anyone here?

This forum has a diverse body with many different experiences you'd be hard pressed to match in real life. And though it can get out of hand sometimes and some forumites aren't as helpful as others, the fact remains that there is more cumulative experience here than most other places. My two cents.