Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tons of Fury Druid Questions! Help/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Druid' started by DarkYakuza, Sep 5, 2006.

1. DarkYakuza

DarkYakuza IncGamers Member

Tons of Fury Druid Questions! Help/Advice Needed

Tons of Fury Druid Questions

Hi I'm new to the druid forums. I have made druids in the past (1.09) and recently i have decided to make a new fury druid. I have an abundance of questions for all of you to answer. Please don't refer me to links, such as the strategie compendium. I have already checked those and most do not contain the answers I'm looking for. Alright so here it goes.
    I play on USEAST SCL, just incase you need to know
    I'm planning on leveling this character to CLvl 90-95, and it will be a pure fury PVP druid.
    I will have max oak sage, lycanthropy, werewolf and of course, fury.
    I am not the richest player but I do have access to enough high runes to most likely make this character, unless it includes 7-8 high rune grand charms like my electric sorceress did :(
    I was thinking of having an equipement setup like this:

Jalal's Mane Totemic Mask (Um'd)
    Grief Runeword Phaseblade
    Stormshield Monarch (Hel'd)
    Fortitude Runeword Dusk Shroud
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord Mithril Coil
    Dual Ravenfrost rings
    Highlord's Wrath Amulet
    Gore Rider Myrmidon Greaves
    Bloodfist Heavy Gloves

-Questions-

1) At level 99, i will have 28 skill points left to allocate after completing all the quests (I think) what should I spend these points into? I was thinking of putting these points into rabies, but seeing as i will only have 9 points into the synergy, (or vice versa if it's better - I'm not sure, clarify this please), will it give me a high enough damage to use as a secondary skill? If not where else should I add these points.

2) Will this druid be able to kill overpowered characters such as the common zealot paladin, which has the benefit of almost guaranteed lifetap, over 30,000 defence, an attack speed just as fast and almost as accurate as a druid.

3) Will it be able to kill basic whirlwind barbarians?

4) Will it be able to kill casters, or is this character only viable in melee PVP situations?

5) I am assuming this druid will most likely be able to solo Baal and Diablo in 8 player games, even though this is a PvP druid. Which mercenary should I hire? The common choice would usually be one from Act2, but the reason I would need him/her would be most likely to take down physical immunes. Would an Act3 cold mercenary with Last Wish be more effective. Or maybe an Act1 cold mercenary with the Ice runeword, providing a nice and welcomed holy freeze aura. Maybe there are others which I have not named that would be more effective?

6) I have heard many comments about Dracul's Grasp Vampirebone Gloves, is the 5% chance to cast lifetap and 25% open wounds worth 40+ life, 30% faster hit recovery (which would make it nearly impossible to hit the 86% faster hit recovery breakpoint) and 10% increased attack speed? Does the lifetap trigger enough for it to be very effective in PvP?

7) I also have heard debates about Cerebus' Bite Blood Spirit, is 120% bonus to Attack Rating and 33% open wounds worth 20 strength, 30 to all resistance and 30% faster hit recovery?

8) I was thinking of socketing my Jalal's Mane with an Um Rune, is this a good idea? Is there anything better that can be put into it?

9) I was also thinking of putting a Hel Rune into my Stormshield Monarch, saving 23 strength points and taking advantage of the 30+ strength mod on the stormshield. Is an Um rune or Shael a better choice as I will most likely have negative resistances in Hell difficulty?

10) If I am going to use Bloodfist Heavy Gloves should I upgrade them all the way to vampirebone gloves to create ~70 defence gloves, or it isnt worth the effort?

11) How important is Open Wounds? With my setup I only get 15%. With Cerebus' Bite and Dracul's Grasp I can obtain 73% Open Wounds if I am correct, is this amount nessecary to become effective?

12) Is the Call To Arms Runeword needed in this build to become effective? How much life does it add to an average druid?

13) Should I try and get to the 86% Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoint, or is the one below it enough? If so how should i go about this?

14) What Attack Speed Breakpoint should I aim to achieve if I am using a grief runeword phaseblade, is a breath of the dying runeword beserker axe a better choice for this character?

15) How much life should I aim for without charms at around clevel ~95?

That's it for now, I would appreciate a rather quick reply, but if not, I can wait. I hope someone can answer all my questions in one shot, not one at a time (I know there are many)

Thanks,

Darkyakuza

2. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

1) you should have atleast 1 point in raven and spirit wolf, use the rest on HoW, IMO.

2) Your life will be alot higher then the zealots in my experience zealots are the least of your paladin worries.

3) with a range 5 weapon on switch and dr gear you should make them into lunch meat.

4) A good resist switch and a good amount fo frw is all thats needed versus casters.

5) get an act2 holy freeze merc with a reaper's toll, decrep will take off most physical immunities.

6) Dracul's are a very good glove and lifetap will trigger often enough and OW is always good to have. the ias doesnt make a difference since WW rely on weapon IAS only. I play GM so i use blodds but dracs are very viable.

7) If you're dueling melee only go with cerebus if you want to duel all types of characters use jalals

8) Perfect Ruby or Shael are good options but Um is good too.

9) Shael rune is the best choice, the extra blocking frame is noticeable and is helpful, IMO Shael > All

10) IMO druid def sucks as is, I would only up for style.

11) Considering the high amount of damage with grief +DS% I wouldn't worry about it, but ow% is good vs es sorcs so make sure you can get a little bit of OW% into your setup when required.

12) I duel GM so no CTA and I did fine, but CTA is always good on any build, if you duel in pubs mainly get a CTA.

13) Werewolves have very good fhr breakpoints the breakpoint previous to 86% should suffice in most duels but have a setup to hit 86% in stash in case.

14) Werewolf attack speed is based on weapon IAS% only, i believe you ca hit 5FPA with any grief ias% roll, which is the max you can hit with a grief or ebotdz. Ebotdz is good for range of 3 and grief is good for the +dmg its a matter of choice.

15) Depending on your setup and charms I'd say 7k+ is easily attainable if not more. my old fury druid had worse gear and hit 7k.

Also, fury druids aren't very reliant on the charms they use, unless you are Fury/Rabies. My advice is get your main gear then spend your remaining funds on the charms. IMO this build utilizes the ar and life bonuses the best out of all the builds so shoot for AR/ife gcs. anything with 100+/25+ is good. or spend your funds on vita scs and go for huge life.

Good luck!

~LesC

3. DarkYakuza

Thanks Claypool for the quick reply! It was very good advice and it cleared up most things, still waiting for other opinions though

4. LeegionOnEast

LeegionOnEast IncGamers Member

Use the last 28 points in Raven, and Spirit Wolf. Then max Heart of Wolverine, as Les said.

Shael that Jalals. Hitting the 86% BP is important in PvP.

You save more stat points with an Eld in the Stormsheild then the Hel.

Keep a Sanctuary Troll Nest, T-Gods, Crendelum, and some Tri-Resist boots in your stash for casters.

Shift+Fury to kill Whirlwinders. They will whirlwind into your Fury and you can peck away at them.

Dracs does not trigger often enough against the only match-ups it really would help. You won't hit Whirlwind or Smiters enough to trigger it.

Use CTA. Alot of times the life makes the difference between death and life in melee, and even against Casters it helps live long enough to catch them.

GreifPB Vs. eBOTDz is a close one. Greif deals more damage and has 20% Deadly Strike, but eBOTDz has more range and some AR. It's up to you, I favor eBOTDz.

5. DarkYakuza

Okay I have done some research and hel rune does infact give better results than the eld rune, but only slightly. With the eld rune you save 21 dexterity but you must allocate 23 more strength. With hel rune you save 23 strength but you must add 21 dexterity. Therefore the hel rune does infact save you 2 stat points.

Although the final verdict would be, should I add a shael rune into the stormshield to obtain the next faster block rate? (5 frames at 48 FBR) and lose 44 stat points which must go into strength and dexterity. Or should I stick with the hel rune and save myself 23 strength points?

Also I'm going to shael my Jalal's Mane because i can easily get to 86% by using bloodfist (+30%) and Jalal's (+30%) and a shael rune, for a grand total of 80% FHR. If I went with the Um rune, to make up for the 16% FHR I would have to have 4x 5% Small Faster Hit Recovery Charms. But with the Shael I only need 3x 5% Small All Resistance Charms, so I save one spot. :laugh:

Why would I need maxed Heart of Wolverine? That would mean an over 100% loss of life? When would this spirit have an advantage over Oak Sage?

Any more answers are still welcome, even to my older questions.

6. LeegionOnEast

LeegionOnEast IncGamers Member

Sorry about that, I was thinking of my Enigma Fury Druid, where the Str doesn't matter.

7. nNemethon

nNemethon IncGamers Member

Regarding the Spirits, The HoW will give the extra damage and precious AR needed to get through a lot of those tough blocking Pally's and High def Barbs. If you can tank a hit or 2 without Oak, then throw a high HoW in to better your odds of hitting them.

8. DarkYakuza

Ok, well I was doing some testing on open battle.net, and I have no clue how you guys say "get 7k life" so easily. On my character I only had around ~350 vitality points, and with 45 life 1+ shapeshifting grand charms, and 20+ life 5% all resistance small charms, 6bo CTA, level 31 oak sage, and level 39 werewolf/lycanthropy, I can only get 8k life. On closed battle.net getting that is rediculous. Without all the GCs, I have around 4.5k life. How do you guys get so much life when you need 158 strength after gear with no enigma, nor dracs, nor sandstorm treks, and get 237 dexterity to achieve 75% block without forfieting so much stat points?

Also with HoW I have around 18K attack rating, which means I can never ever hit those high defence paladins, what should I do about this?

My druid hasn't killed much so far, maybe I should rebuild and try making an enigma druid? What are the advantages? If I use enigma how will I get max resistances? Since my resistances will probably be so low, should I try using Cerebus' bite and go for melee characters only?

Assistance is appreciated.

9. TheBassman

For pure fury use AR/Life GCs, they're relatively cheaper then your 45 Life Shapers. Plain 20 Life SCs are fairly cheap. For a druid your AR is definately low, can you post the stats on all your closed b.net gear?

~LesC

10. DarkYakuza

All the gear I chose is up above in the first post. The only AR boost I get is 20% from Jalal's Mane, and I have a 237 and 242 Raven frosts.

11. TheBassman

Your best bet on increasing AR is definately AR/life GCs. Get some with 100+AR and 25+ life, because there's no use having a ton of health when you can't hit anything.

~LesC

12. nNemethon

nNemethon IncGamers Member

As it stands, my new wolf is making me fairly happy. A quick run down of gear for you (and yes, the pro's WILL laugh, but hey, mines for pvm) ^^

Jals Shaeled
    CoH/Duress depending on how tough I feel*
    Verdungos belt
    Gore riders
    Draculs Grasp
    EBOTD GPA (Yes, I'm damn lucky to have made 1 ages ago and still have it) :D
    Maras
    Raven Frost
    dual leech ring with energy and few resists
    Torch and anni
    *With CoH, I have maxed res in hell all round, and with duress, I have approx 40/60/60/50. I take a thumping, but the life and leech really pay off against pvm and pvp.

Lycan: maxed
    Werewolf: Maxed
    Fury: Maxed
    Oak: Maxed
    grizzy, carrion vine, ravens: 1
    Rest: Feral Rage

As it stands, without any outside auras, I do approx 8.7k damage with 14.5k AR before Feral rage is charged, massive life leech when needed and a pool of 6k life with oak. (I think I have and lev 28 oak and 28 wwolf)

With might merc, I bump to ~11k fury without F.rage and 13k or so with F.rage charged.

At level 75, He was running baal as the teleporters were too chicken (sigh) and only died once. He has ~87% chance to hit hell Baal in 8 player game. Note, the life comes from using a 2 handed polearm, so all uneeded dex and str go to vita.

Might rebuild him, but I am really happy with him at the moment. Took him for a blast against a serious top-notch zealerdin and he won 5/2 before I gave up. :) Still, 2 kills to his 5 isnt so bad for a non-dueller.

Gl