Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tons of error messages...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Diab, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Tons of error messages...

I submitted this report to blizzard tech support a few minutes ago...

I've been getting all sorts of error messages over the past few years of playing this game. Recently, they've been getting to be a lot more frequent. I'm not using any modified files, nor third-party programs, and tried playing without any cmd line parameters. I cannot explain why these have increased in frequency over the past half a year to a year, since nothing seemed to have changed on my system. I have performed defrags, virus checks, reformats, and multiple reinstalls of the game and the OS itself. All drivers seem to be updated.

I figured screenshots will show the errors better than words alone, so here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/unhandled.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/halterror.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/halterror3.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/halterror2.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/gameerror.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/gameerror2.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/assertionfailure2.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/95e7cc69.gif

Some of these, like the "Halt" errors, give a seemingly random combination of numbers and letters in the message every time (at the very end for the Halt errors).

System specs:
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Computer Name VIT
    User Name Vitaliy
    Logon Domain VIT

Motherboard
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2019 MHz (5 x 404)
    Motherboard Name Asus P4B533 (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845E
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (08/06/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
    Monitor Compaq MV920 (011GA23NC282)

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738 Audio Chip
    Audio Adapter Creative Audigy Platinum Sound Card

Storage
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y160P0 (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Disk Drive WDC WD400BB-00DEA0
    Optical Drive Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
    Optical Drive Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
    Optical Drive IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 (4x/4x/24x CD-RW)

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 38162 MB (23893 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 156319 MB (27437 MB free)

Input
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

Peripherals
    Printer Auto Compaq IJ600 Inkjet Printer on GENNADIY
    Printer Compaq IJ600 Inkjet Printer
    USB Device Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Printing Support

2. Phaeax

Phaeax IncGamers Member

I do notice you like to run lots of background processes (and that you have a nice GW desktop). One thing I'll note is that Winamp is a notorious resource hog. It (at least used to) hogs system and video memory, even when it is running minimized or seemingly in the background. If you have started running it, or even using larger playlists as of late, it may be the culprit.

I also had a wave of system errors with D2 and later found that when I unloaded my HP printer driver, things worked a lot smoother. I swear, the things that you find related...

3. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Hmm, interesting. I've tried closing all or most of my background programs to no avail before. I think you're talking about the newer winamp versions, like version 3 or whatnot. I'm using the really old 2.91 version, which I like best.

Is there any way to select only certain drivers to start up? Sort of like Safe Mode, except with the video driver and sound driver (if its necessary) so that I could run the game. I'm thinking of trying that Diagnostic Startup option in the msconfig utility (Start -> Run -> "msconfig" (no quotes) -> General tab).

Edit: Ah crap, just noticed that Photobucket shrink the size of some images too much.

4. Phaeax

Phaeax IncGamers Member

Ah... safe mode. It's been so long since I've used it. About the only way I can think of offhand is tedious: disable drivers in the hardware manager and reboot after each change to test it out. You could do a safe mode boot before hand to see if there were any specific culprits that caught your eye.

Yes, I think the problems with Winamp stealing precious resources started at v3. I've since switched to other programs, so I don't know the current status.

5. NecroWraith

NecroWraith IncGamers Member

Just wondering if you have a dual boot setup on you PC. Ive noticed that in one screen shot it says 2ndGame Diablo.exe i believe its this one http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Diab64/gameerror2.gif also i noticed that you have two partitions. Is diablo on both partitions? Also do you have service pak 2 installed and if so did this happen after or has it been an ongoing problem? usually these errors occur because of the drivers, even if they are newly released there still could be issues with some applications. Maybe a roll back of your drivers Video and Sound may help if it happened after a driver update. other wise i would say to take your information to the whitepages section of Microsoft site or send an email to there support and wait for an answer...oh yeah what is you page file size set too? it could be the cause of your issue, is set to small or to large it maybe affecting your gaming...

6. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Not sure what you mean by "dual boot setup". I run two copies of D2 at once by using that modified d2gfx.dll file, two installations of D2, and two pairs of cd-keys.

I don't have two partitions; I have two physical harddrives. I use D2 mostly on one of them, but I have tried copy&pasting the folder onto the other one. It still gave me error messages.

I do have SP2 installed, but these errors have been going on for quite some time before that, as well. I don't believe I've used D2 on anything but WindowsXP, though.

Also, not sure what you mean by "page file size".

7. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

If you sometimes have problems with other programs, you may have some bad memory. I used to have some error-prone memory in my system, and I would get errors very similar to yours (error decompressing sprite, etc.). I would recommend Memtest86 if you would like to check your memory. This program creates either a bootable floppy diskette or bootable cd, which you then boot from to perform the test.
    A pagefile is also sometimes called a swap file. It is a file on secondary storage (hard disk) in which data in primary storage (memory) can be temporarily stored when it is not immediately needed.

In winXP, here's how to find your pagefile settings:
    * Go to "System" on the control panel (or right click "My computer" and hit properties)
    * Choose the "advanced" tab
    * Click the "settings" button in the "performance" frame
    * Click the "advanced" tab
    * Page file size is shown in the "virtual memory" frame, further details can be seen if you hit "change" here

8. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Thanks, I'll try out the test later.

As for the page file size, I have 768MB allocated on my Master HD, and 'No paging file' on my Slave HD, which is much bigger, and on which I usually play my games. The recommended is 766MB on both drives.

I take it that the lack of it on my Slave HD is bad? Should I set it to 766 or 768?

9. NecroWraith

Usually you want your page file size set to 1.5 times your availible RAM but if you running at a GIG or more it wont matter. Neways i had asked that because if it is set to large or to little it will effect how applications will run, and maybe the reason for your errors.
    By dual boot i ment your running more than one OS on you CP. Linux (mandrake, red hat, ect.)and such. If you log in as root it is possible to damage files and applications by accessing them. Opening a xp file while in Linux and vice versa.. but since you asked what that is i doubt that is the issue.. neways.. i ask a few friends about this and see what they say...

10. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Well, I have 512MB RAM, so the page file size should be 768, which is I believe what I have my Master HD set to. Should I have one on my Slave HD as well?

I'm only running WindowsXP, no other OSs.

Also, I tried that memory test, Oscuro. It's been running for a while, but I think it's set to repeat all the tests an infinite number of times. I also think it hasn't run the large, 3-hour test yet, since I believe I remember reading on the site that you have to run that manually. So, it's doing that large test right now. So far, I seem to have 9004 errors. I *think* that's bad. :lol:

Do you think I should try a different memory card, taken from an old computer? It's probably less than 512MB, though. Just to test it out, I mean. If it works better, then I'm just going to buy a new memory card.

11. NecroWraith

Your page file size sounds about where it should be, and it shouldnt matter on the second. have you tried to do reinstall Diablo.. I know thats a pain in the back side but when ive had errors in the past it has seemed to work.. I have talked to few friends about this and they all say it sounds like a driver problem. You should have a CD that has all your drivers on it.. it also has an option that allows you to reinstall all the drivers.. I would say run that or find someone who has one and do the same... later ill look thru the white pages at microsoft site to see if they have something on this issue..

12. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Yes, I've reinstalled D2 countless times, as I mentioned in the first post.

I don't have a driver CD since I bought all the parts to my comp and built it myself. I have a CD for my video card and sound card with drivers on there. Should I try reverting to the drivers that came on those CDs?

13. Oscuro

You shouldn't be getting any errors, so it seems like this could be the problem. If your memory is composed of 2 modules (2x256 modules rather than 1x512 module), try running the test with only one of them installed (first one, then the other). Be sure that the module is installed in the lowest numbered socket; look near the ends of the sockets for numbering printed on the motherboard.

I used to be in this situation (2x256 modules), and I discovered that only one of my modules was bad, which I eventually replaced with a 512mb module given to me by a friend, thus eliminating the errors and increasing my memory at the same time. D2 suddenly worked perfectly :D

You may wish to take up the issue with the manufacturer of the memory module(s); something may be covered by warranty. I once obtained a replacement memory module from the manufacturer (Crucial), even though it wasn't under warranty. It never hurts to ask.

Edit: Yes, if you can borrow another memory module which tests OK, try running D2 with it. If the problems are gone, it's definitely the memory.

14. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I have a single 512MB module. I'll check later if it's in the lowest numbered slot.

I'm pretty sure my memory is also by Crucial, but I'll be sure to test out another computer's memory inside this one before contacting them. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep this thread updated.

15. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Okay, I borrowed a friend's old 256MB DDR PC2100 Crucial memory module, and stuck that in instead of mine, which is the same except for the bigger memory (512 instead 256). I ran the tests on it and it yielded zero errors. I played a little D2 with it and it worked fine. Most of my other computer problems (like WinXP Blue Screens of Death) seem to be gone as well, so I think memory was the problem after all. I'll continue to test it out, while waiting for my replacement module to be sent in. Gotta love Crucial's lifetime warranty.

16. Orbstu

Orbstu IncGamers Member

You state here that you are not using any modified files, but if a later post you state that you are using the modified d2gfx.dll to play 2 instances.
    I also noticed that you have a shortcut to eastern sun as well.

Have you tried completely uninstalling diablo and any mods/modded files and doing a complete reinstall.

Your problems could be due to a corrupt d2gfx.dll file or some ES files being in your diablo folder.

17. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Ah yes, I must have forgotten about the d2gfx.dll file when I made my first post here. However, I have about 6 installations of D2 on my computer, only two of which have the modified file, and I've tried all the installations.

And for your second question, I did state that I have reinstalled D2 (all of them) a lot of times.

18. Orbstu

Orbstu IncGamers Member

I know, at the time I posted I had not read the 2nd page :)

19. Oscuro

Glad to hear all (apparently) is working for you.
    It's been over two years since I went through the replacement process, but I seem to remember it taking about two weeks or a bit less to receive the replacement.

20. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Ouch, I haven't even sent my current one in yet. I guess I'll have to work with 256MB RAM for now.