Today, I lost everything...

WeSaveLives

Diabloii.Net Member
and it SUCKS.

I wake up to find my laptop is dead, so after work I swing by Argos to pick up another. The first thing I do when I get home is install Diablo and ATMA, and plug in my external hard drive to use my 2~week old back up save files and ATMA files, only to find the ATMA save files are missing..... F**K.

The only way I can see myself getting the files back is if I can somehow access the contents of my old laptop hard drive, if it still works.

F

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
It's usually the motherboard that fails in a laptop, I expect you'll find the hard drive in the laptop is actually still functioning.

EDIT: I was assuming you meant Diablo 2 items, but a small part of me thought that this title could be referring to something way more serious and you were about to tell us you lost entire family in a fire...or something

WeSaveLives

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm so un-tech savvy it's depressing, but a quick Google has shown me how easy it is to access an old laptop hard drive with a sata to use connector. There is hope yet...

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
A lot of laptops have an extra slot for a 2nd hdd.

If anything, you should be able to just replace the drive in ur new laptop with your old one, to see if the drive is alive.

Locohead

Diabloii.Net Member
a small part of me thought that this title could be referring to something way more serious and you were about to tell us you lost entire family in a fire...or something
Imagine the irony level if the extracted hard drive now causes that fire! Yep, that's the dark sense of humor my life has given me.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
I hope you can recover your D2 backups! Otherwise, I am happy to give away some of items if you would need to start over again

RIP

Diabloii.Net Member
EDIT: I was assuming you meant Diablo 2 items, but a small part of me thought that this title could be referring to something way more serious and you were about to tell us you lost entire family in a fire...or something
My thought exactly...

@WeSaveLives - I wish You best of luck with the files recovery...If not succesfull, take it as oportunity to join us in untwinck lvl 99 thread...I've started from scratch half Year ago and was very happy to do that ;)

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
Hope you still have your stuff, WeSaveLives, I feel your pain(worry)!

Best of luck. I almost had this happen not too long ago, and it would have crushed me. Although starting over can be fun, it is usually better when you do it voluntarily.
!!!

Last week my PC crashed, and afterwards it would no longer boot past the Windows logo: Right when the Windows logo animation stopped playing, the PC would freeze. I was terrified by the thought that my disk had failed.

Hoping that Windows was (corrupted and) fixable, I immediately started trying to fix Windows. After a few hours of trying, I figured I should maybe test the drive in someone else's PC.

The next day, I could plug the disk into another PC, and.. it works! (Well, Windows still didn't boot, but at least I had my files.) I went from about a 16-hour long heart-attack to one of the biggest smirks I've ever had. Of course, I wasn't just worried about the Diablo saves, but I'm damn sure it would've taken a very, very long time before I'd even consider starting the game up again. :')

(And to continue the story..) I spent 4 days trying to fix Windows before I gave up, and re-installed.
However.. when I finally got to the point where I installed Nvidia drivers.. the exact same thing started happening!
Turns out.. it was my GPU that had failed. :')
So why wouldn't it boot on the other PC? Because the CPU doesn't support a 64-bit OS! I didn't consider this at all -- I was just so out of it (from start to finish).

So, after 4 days of pain, I realized that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my Windows install -- I was tricked by the card!
The card would render everything up to the Windows logo just fine, but any installed drivers would load up at this point, and only then will the advanced features of the card kick in. "That's not happening.", the card said.

And the "funniest" things are that, 1) in my hurry to "fix my Windows", I killed an expensive keyboard by tossing a huge glass of lemonade over it, and 2) I bricked another PC because I targeted the wrong disk/OS when I tried to fix my Windows.

I just never want to see hardware again.

Anyway, now I'm thinking.. perhaps should start BACKUPPING.
(Also, I should diagnose before trying to fix something. Heh.)

But hey.. I still got my Diablo saves. :cool:

Apostrof

Diabloii.Net Member
I kept everything on two usb sticks, because i was playing on multiple computers and some of them didn't have internet access, also really low chance to dupe anything if you just cut your files on to usb.

I lost one and my wife deleted all backups from other one, she needed to transfer some photos to her sister. Surprisingly we are still married. And i still keep some really important stuff on usb sticks.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to backup to usb as well. Nowadays I just zip everything and load it to my Google Drive. Should be very safe, and is accessible everywhere, all the time.