Toast to the Men and Women of the Armed Forces!!!

SSNLDO

Diabloii.Net Member
Toast to the Men and Women of the Armed Forces!!!

A toast to the Armed Forces supporting our countries. Those at home and those abroad.

Defending FREEDOM has always come at a cost, mostly paid for by those who voluntarily join organizations who's purpose is maintaining that freedom through force of arms.

I have ties with several people who have their boots in the sand in Iraq, Afganistan, on the open seas, and other parts of the middle east. May they be protected until they come home.

For those that won't come home on their own, remember to thank them and their families for the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Re: Toast to the Men and Women of the Armed Forces!!!

Although I cannot always agree to a certain deployment ... every individual who has the bottle to put their neck on the line, does deserve respect.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

To all who have died in service to my country:
Thank you.

Cheers!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

I thank them with the money they get paid to do their job like everyone else.

Western soldiers haven't fought for freedom in centuries, if indeed they ever did (possible exceptions in WWI/WWII).

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

Western soldiers haven't fought for freedom in centuries, if indeed they ever did (possible exceptions in WWI/WWII).
Upper Canada fought off an invading army in 1812.
Without the Leadership of General Brock, Canada probably never would have existed.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member

I thank them with the money they get paid to do their job like everyone else.

To all:

There is a debate about Memorial Day.

On one side are those who say that the purpose of Memorial Day is, or should be, to honor soldiers who have fought, or are fighting, for our freedom.

On the other side are those who say that the purpose of Memorial Day is to mourn those who lost their lives in wars and to reflect on how to prevent this from happening in the future.

What do you believe?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Upper Canada fought off an invading army in 1812.
Without the Leadership of General Brock, Canada probably never would have existed.
Wasn't it mostly the British doing the fighting? All those American wars were about tax evasion.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

Wasn't it mostly the British doing the fighting? All those American wars were about tax evasion.
No Most of Brock's "army" were militia and natives. He had very few "regulars".

I think he had something like 300 British soldiers when he attacked the 3,000 American soldiers in Detroit.
But it was mainly his letter of apology that he sent before the battle that won it for him.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I'll give you that one if you like. But I still think it was probably more about maple syrup.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

To all:

On one side are those who say that the purpose of Memorial Day is, or should be, to honor soldiers who have fought, or are fighting, for our freedom.

On the other side are those who say that the purpose of Memorial Day is to mourn those who lost their lives in wars and to reflect on how to prevent this from happening in the future.

What do you believe?
Why not honor and mourn? Or honor by remembering?

I definitely think of Memorial Day as a day to honor the soldiers who have died. Veterans Day is to honor the soldiers who are living.

To all:

What do you believe?
No reason you can't see it both ways, is there?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member

To all:

What do you believe?
The latter, of course. The former is Veteran's Day. Even wiki has it right.

And for further clarification, we can quote our next president on the matter:

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."
(with movie!)