Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To wear Tal set or not

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by behling, Apr 24, 2005.

1. behling

behling IncGamers Member

To wear Tal set or not

Hi i have a tal set. wanna wear with a magefist sojs and a stormsheild or lidless. but i was wondering if i shld change to smth else like orcules shako and stuff. just wondering if its possible to be a cold sorc like blizzard + frozen orb or smth. since tal set adds more cold dmg. also. if it would be a viable sorc to do baal runs and MF. thx.

2. olimikrig

olimikrig IncGamers Member

I wouldn't wear tals set, but oculus, shako, and skullders instead. Besides, I would go for a Splendor shield instead og lidless/monarch, since blizzies are "passive" sorcerers, and won't need mana boosting for an ES, or max block from a storm. Even more so the dex req. for max block on storm is too ridiculous to even be considered, imho.
    You'll also get more + skills by using this combination instead of the tals...

Also, don't make an orb sorc, since you'll need a great amount of + skills do do some serious dmg. meaning that you have to waste inv space on cold sk's, which could be better used on mf, mana, life, and res sc's. I would go for a blizzard sorcerers, meaning using magefist is pointless, and use perfect nagelrings instead og sojs, as your dmg. will be good enough. Use a snowclash belt, as tals don't give that much mf, and goldwrap has too little potion storage space. Besides, your blizzard will do better dmg. Oh, and try to get your hands on a +3 cold skills/20+ mf amulet.

3. behling

behling IncGamers Member

ooo thx for the insight.. i'm just wondering why so many ppl still wearing tal set then lol

4. olimikrig

olimikrig IncGamers Member

Well, tals set does give some nice bonuses, and can be bought quite cheap nowadays. For a lightning sorc, FX, I would go with tals set any day if I were an MFer. Besides, tals set gives some resistance, which can't be found in my suggestions, except if you sockets with Um's, which is more expensive, and won't add any mf. Overall, it's up to the individual to decide what he/she want's to do, I'm just not that found of tals set, and wouldn't go that way in most cases...

(p.s. It looks realy, REALLY ugly too :uhhuh: )

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Is it the very best? Probably not.

Is it viable, as you ask? Yes.

Tals set works well for just about every caster sorc. I think is shines more when you're a dual or tri element sorc, but it will still serve well enough on a single tree build.

Oh, and 20% faster cast is not pointless, whether you use the +fire skill of Magefist or not.

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Tal's set has so many advantages for the cheap price you get it. I will not even start counting all that you get with it. Resistances, mana, life, MDR, FHR, +skill, nice big MF. etc, etc etc etc...

Thinking that the MF from Shako and Oculus will make the difference is wrong... MF does all in all play a vey small part. Then only superior gear that you can get , that is effect REALLY better than Tal's would be a ruenword setup including Heart of the Oak, CtA on switch and CoH, with some great crafted headgear, Mara's and good rings.

There is a LONG thread about wheter to use full Tal's or not in the Sorceress Guide Library. Better read that and form your own opinion. Infact the opinions go straight in 180 degree different ways for most.

I'll say go full Tal's. Partial Tal's wont give you all the bonuses and you will have a bit more MF, making it rather useless to use any part then...

7. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

I love Tal's set! The advantages have already been listed by others so I won't go through them again. I like Tal set plus Whistan's shield though some prefer Ss. I would recommend going blizzard/firewall instead of pure blizzard so you can do all the runs instead of blizzard/orb.

My Blizzard/firewall does Baal and all other MF runs wearing full Tals and kills bosses almost as fast as pure blizzard. If you are pure cold you will have problems with cold immunes. If you do decide to go blizzard/firewall use Glacial Spike for your main synergy instead of Ice Blast for better crowd control. Check out the stickied build thread and you will find a good blizzard/firewall guide.

GOW

8. behling

behling IncGamers Member

hi thx guys. i realli love the tal set i wanan make a sorc tat can do baal runs with ease and also MF alot. and rush chars thx

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The Tal Set can fullfill that. Just be sure to maybe have a ring with Lightning Absorb for those nasty Burning Souls.

10. behling

behling IncGamers Member

hi guys. i made my meterorb sorc. was realli gd wearing full tal set + magefist + stormshield (socketed with charm) + 2xSOJ + wartrav

my inv is filled MF sc with 2 MFresistance SCs have gd resistance 72/75/75/70

on swtich is lidless and CTA flail

FO max
    cold mastery level 17 (with +skills)

meteror max
    firemastery max
    rest in FB

basically i followed the meterorb guide in the sorc lib guide. the main problem i'm facing is even with CTA i havae 1000+ HP i still eat alot of dmg from mobs. i'm having max blk on my SS. the tink i odnt understand is how to fight hell with FO and meteror

mostly i'm using meteror and just wait for the mobs to melt to death and cast a few FO from time to time.

just wondering if i'm doign it the rite way. cos when they come into the metor fire they hit me bad and i pot quite alot. i live to move on but just always baley making it.

i plain to max FB now. level 74 and moving on.

any suggestions?. thx.

11. NyTStrykE

NyTStrykE IncGamers Member

Do you have a merc? If you don't, get one with holy freeze. let him tank. Also, you should only really use Meteor on bosses or on groups with larger life. In other cases, you should be using fireball+FO.

Not sure what else the problem is. Never expereinced this problem. My sorc on ladder does about 6k fireball and 13k meteor. It's more than enough to take out everyone. (This is using Tals and Spirit shield, no anni). She only has about 900 life and 825 mana. Untwinked of course.

Regarding Tal's Set...my take is this:

If you aren't using the full set, you might as well drop the entire set (except keep the armor). I find if I go Occy+Shako, I would rather have Maras and Arachnid than Tal's Ammy and Belt. But Tal's set does give you a ton of stuff. I can't say wearing Maras, Arachnid, Shako, Occy, would make you much better.

12. behling

behling IncGamers Member

do you have skill GCs or anything?. cos i have non. i made a big mistake. i maxed firebolt and not fire ball............................................ =(((. its okay i still have skll pts to max fire ball.

yea i'm using the full tal set its real gd.

13. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Arg, why would you go max block with a sorc who should never be in a position to be hit anyway :(
    - You cast from a distance.
    - You will always be moving around, dodging missle attacks, etc

IMHO, spending points in Dex for going MAX block is a complete waste. My Tal Sorc has 1200+ life withOUT CTA.

Ah well. People have different opinions. But for a none melee build, I would always prefer life over chance to block.

Also, I find that with my Meteorb Tal sorc, I use fireball more than Meteor. Spam fireballs for anything non fire immune, and use Orb for things that are fire immune. Oh, and teleport lots. :) Helps to keep you and your merc alive, and often helps to put yourself in a better fighting position.

Cheers,
    *wookie919