Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To Ss or not to Ss? Blizzies respond!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Xiamet, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

To Ss or not to Ss? Blizzies respond!

Ok..I asked this in another thread but I figure I'd make it a seperate thread just so everyone can benefit from any advice given here.

My question is, should a Blizzardess pump her Str for Stormshield, or save those points for dex and vit? is Ss worth it for a Blizzardess doing MF runs?, or is Lidless, Rhyme or Whitsan's enough?

I ask because of my problems with previous sorc builds tping down to Meph. There are times where you jump into some baddies and they start whacking away at ya, especially exploding dolls. So is SS worth having, and does the DR reduce the effects of exploding dolls?

Or should i just max block with Lidless or some other shield?

thanks,

-X

2. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

You don't want maxblock with lidless, unless you think 315 dex at clevel 80 looks sexy on your charscreen. If you want to use lidless, you don't go for block at all.

As for the dolls, they don't explode if you don't whack em, so that's why you either don't want to use a merc (who always comes out swinging from tele) when teleing through Durance2 or unequip his weapon beforehand and reequip in Durance3 if you want a meph tanking merc.

PDR does indeed reduce the physical portion of exploding doll damage, but as stated above, they shouldn't blow up anyway.

Most importantly, get to the 63% fc breakpoint, problems with teleing to meph won't be solved by donning a SS imo.

3. Cyriene

Cyriene IncGamers Member

i generally like to use rhyme for more mf
    i usually dont like ss on my sorc as i feel id rather have the lost life then the 35% dr as i usually take more elemental damage. if you like to tank though, than ss may be your shield.

if you use enigma it is a lot easier to reach the str req for ss, so if that is the case then go for it
    if you are using skullders/tals/viper or whatever else you just have to make a tradeoff more life or more dr
    depends on your playing style really

4. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

So far so good...and interesting to hear the viewpoints. I'd like other to share their views as well...but lemme ask you this then...

Of the options i have for a shield, I have the following:

Whitsan's
    Moser's w/ 2 perf Diamonds - oogobs of resists
    Rhyme (grim shield I believe...or Troll nest..can't remember offhand)
    Lidless - figured this might be good for tping to dur 3 ?

What shield would you go with out of these options?

Thanks,

-X

5. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

Lidless wall is a great shield, just dont expect to get a good block rate with it heh, oh and try not to get HIT while its on (personally, i love the ss for mfing, i use a rhyme slash doubleist ali on my switch so the ss Cold resis is very nice

6. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

hmm more meph questions

My personal experience is with Wizard Spike and Whitstan's Guard, max block.

Haven't tried Moser's cause I don't have one. I assume it works fine as long as you put more into dex to maintain max block.

Rhyme: don't do it in grim shields. I wouldn't do it at all. It's next to impossible to get max block in these things, as someone already mentioned. I also recommended in someone else's thread that rhyme sucks as a weapon switch cause of bad res, so don't do it.

As for Lidless without max block, you will get hit down to Meph no matter how careful you are, so don't do it. If you have Wizard Spike you don't need any of the mods on Lidless.

So my recommendation is Wizard Spike and Whitstan's Guard. :)

If you can't get Wizard Spike then I would still recommend Whitstan's Guard, if you can get max res elsewhere, as it is very difficult. Otherwise Moser's would be fine, your buffer zone in life is just smaller. Try to maximize dex from equipment.

Please in the name of God use Energy Shield. :)

7. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

umm rhyme sucks for resists <> rhyme bad for mf. and the original poster, Xiamet did made it clear that this char would be for mf. so imo, a ali (2 ist) + a rhyme (troll nest have high str requirements so a lower str version might be good) /4 ist shield (if you can afford to spurge for a better mf) with tal's set would be good

8. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

my sorcs uses a enigma breastplate + tgods so i only need around 50-60 points in strenght, saves me alotmore points for max block and life :thumbsup:

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Rhyme for bosskill
    Lidless to teleport to boss (you are not into fighting or xp ther so blocking wont matter really)

If you want to go block why are all people always forgetting the upgraded Viscertuant with 72% block +1 skill +30% increased chance of blocking, faster blocking. put a PDiamond inside, allres there too now ;)

You can substitute lidless by wearing weapon with FCR, magefist, Arachnid.. for example... and then put on Visc or Mosers. or Whistans.

The most important thing you need to escape dolls is NOT PDR but FCR. With enough FCR they dotn even get a chance to hit you or explode.

Sorceress Mantra: "I will not want to get hit". Repeat until this is burned inside you head ;) so that you will do anythign equipment wise that can achieve this near to perfection.

10. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Pheebs :yep:

Anyway i personally think stormshield is the number one stinky popular sorc shield. Who needs physical damage reduction when you can teleport :thanks:

If you're making yourself able to tank a few physical attacks you're so much more vulnerable to elemental, that i don't want.

Read melianors post carefully too.

11. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

My favorite shield for all around play would be SS but if you dont like the investement or just can't afford it I suggest using 2x PDiam Mosers or Upg Visceratuant.

12. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Ok...I'm still not clear on a couple of things, so let me try to sort this out:

I'm getting that Lidless isn't so hot a shield because of the high dex needed to max blocking with it. But Meli says to use it for tping down to Meph, due to the FCR.

Rhyme stinks for anything other than a switch for MF, which is only 25% anyways. Hmmm...

Moser's and Whitsan's are viable, but Whitsan's seems to get the better reccomendation for the higher blocking %. But Moser's give an awesome boost to resists. Should probably check this out in-game and see what the actual differences are.

Visceretaunt upgraded is another possibility, if the block rating is as high as Meli claims. Unfortunately, I don't have one...so this isn't a factor for now.

See...the probem is, I really need suggestions for 2 shields...one for tping down to meph, the other for the switch...which I guess would be Rhyme.

Seems like Whitsans/WizSpike would be the better idea for Tping down, and Occy/Rhyme for the switch. What say you all?

'nuther question...Is having a high resist neccesary when dealing with Meph?

Thanks...

-X

13. Soepgroente

I have to agree on lidless being the top shield - just don't try to block with it :teeth:

14. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

how about The Ward? with a pdiamond %block sucks , but if you get a 50% al resist and u socket it , itll be 69%al resists , which is pretty nice heh

i plan on using wiz spike and ss for teleing down to meph, than alibaba socketed with 2 ist and the ward to attack meph, also same with andy
    can still tank both without the -30 (or 35?) % less dmg from ss if u have maxed resists or at least good resists

15. melianor

If you can cover your FCR otherwise with sy Wizzy+magefist forget about Lidless ;)

Yup just on switch!

The blocking % of upg Viscertuant is correct, i wear one ;) see the req dex in the table that you can find in the Meteorb guide.

You "need" 63% FCR to escape monsters. if you can get that without Lidless, take, Whistans or Visc. I just prefer Visc for its +1 and faster block.

whistans 75% block, Visc upg. base 72% block with a littel extra dex 75%
    Rhyme on switch

This depends on your approach.
    With the moattrick if you do it right Mephi will not attack you at all since you are just sofar away to hit him and for him not to see you. so you wont need high res. just beware that the council does not notice you ;)

The other approach (i have been playing like that ALL the time and my res in hell is atm 23/23/68/-17) with ravenfrost for cold absorb.

I tele right up infront of Meph, stand there with my merc. he takes melee punches, meph doesnt use his devastaing ranged attacks but whacks at my merc. merc smiles and shrugs it off with a reju or 2. i static meph, and in my case blast away with fireball+frozenorb. for you it will take 3-4 blizz or less to kill Meph.

So thats your choices. Mephs melee attacks are wimpy. You can take them yourselves aswell, as i did until my Merc could take more than 1 hit from Meph ;)

I'd say, look for some absorb gear like ravenfrost and have higher Lightres and you are fine. Poison wont hurt you too much. Before it takes to much damage Meph is dead and you are out.

reaching the FCR breakpoint with whatever means is mucho important before anything else if you are just doing bossruns, be that andy or meph.

16. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I'm gonna go with the WizSpike/Whitsan's combo, Moser's if the blocking % isn't too different.

I can't upgrade Viscertaunt at the moment because a) I don't have one, and b) I'm not ladder :( But I'm thinking if I can trade for one, even un-upgraded the Blocking % is much higher than I originally assumed. And the +skill never hurt neither.

I believe I'll have the FCR covered with WizSpike, Tal armor, belt and Ammy setup. I'll need to check that to be sure.

-X

17. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

wtf is whistan show a link plz

18. melianor

Since you are not on ladder there is no use in looking at either Visc or Mosers. Its Whistans all teh way then.

Surely covered your FCR Xiamet ;)

Before i got Anni and Tal's Armor or Occy it was Wizzy all the way. I lost/did not have +3 skills extra that way, but i got through Hell with it to the end, so there should be no problem at all.

@JpM, if you skip your wtf you might get an answer :p

19. Soepgroente

20. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

yea but is it a unique ? elite ? theres a lot of shileds you know :|
    i looked every unique didnt found it