Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To specialize or not, there is the question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by DarthLeader, Apr 19, 2008.

1. DarthLeader

DarthLeader Banned

To specialize or not, there is the question

Hi all,

I have been playing D2 for years, but lost everything (took a 3 month pause...) and started back at christmas 2007.

I am wondering if we should specialize or not with our character. Personnaly, I like it.

For exemple, I got a blizz mf sorc, a gf barb and I am making a CB/FO sorc to key. Someday, I'll create a pvp once I'm rich enough. I have a NL smiter, but I play L...

So, do you guys specialize or not ? If so, any more specializations ?

DarthLeader

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: To specialize or not, there is the question

Of course, specializing is important! MF chars, PvP chars, key chars, Uber chars, GF chars, Cows chars etc. Many different ways to play, many different specializations.

3. DarthLeader

DarthLeader Banned

Why do you cow ? for hrs ? socketables ? mf ?

DarthLeader

4. ProfessionalBerg

My main goals are socketables and runes, yes. But it is also a good Flawless Gem and Jewel hunting place, and it's also plain FUN.

5. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

Fun. Its just plain old fun. The cowdroppings(!?) are just a bonus.

But as Berg says, specializing is important. Makes your char more powerfull for the task its made for. But there are lots of chars that not just specialize in one thing/area.

6. ProfessionalBerg

Oh, by the way, Cows is one of the best areas to maximize the potential of Lightning Fury. Assume a level 31 LF (can be higher), and that is 32 bolts/strike. 100% pierce with a Razortail, and a Griffon's for more Light damage will make it, say, 2,2 thousand damage per lightning bolt with 100% pierce.

Let's assume you have herded enough cows that one javelin hits at least 5 of them (this is the amount of times a 100% pierce javelin will strike). 5x32=160 bolts. Each bolt deals 2200/2=1100 average lightning damage. 160x1100=176000 damage.

How often do you harness such a power, hmm??

7. AgentMarth

AgentMarth IncGamers Member

I tend to have a Character for each thing, but as the same time, a well built Hdin can do just about everything, so you don't need to specialize sometimes. Yes I know, alot of people don't like Hdin's, but I do, and I use mine alot for most stuff be it MF, Keying, Rushing, Baaling, Uber leveling/setting up, and one day I may try actually Ubering with him (I play HC so I don't wanna risk it and would just rather use my Zealot).

It still is nice though to have a character built specifically for a task. HC Destruction Key running can be much safer with a IK Barb then with a Light Sorc.

Oh and yeah, Moo = fun.

8. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

who needs specialization, my fishy can do everything.

Take a look at that math for the lightning fury damage, it looks impressive doesn't it?
    Well it doesn't matter when you have corpse explosion that kills cows just as effectively with two clicks. Then you get cow revives which are tons of fun.

Not everything can be as awesome as a summoner necro though. So specialization does become important. I've got a blizz sorc that was made simply to do meph. She has no other purpose... except maybe normal difficulty rushes.