Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To PSP or not to PSP...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AjustinMyJonson, May 26, 2005.

1. AjustinMyJonson

AjustinMyJonson IncGamers Member

To PSP or not to PSP...

Alright, so im graduating high school pretty soon and my parents asked what i want for my graduation gift. Since i have really everything i need for college anyway(laptop, iPod Mini, Shuffle), i was thinking about getting a PSP. Just wondering what the Pros/Cons are, ill prolly use it mostly to watch movies on, and wondering if its worth it. (i know about the DS/PSP thread, but im just asking strictly PSP here, sorry). I know the games are 40 bucks a pop, but i also saw one in school today and it looks pretty sweet. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They seem to have a ridiculously high rate of dead/stuck pixels.

Watching a movie on a screen that size will strain your eyes.

Games are great.

Graphics are great.

Battery life isn't too stellar, but not that bad either.

The programs being made for it are pretty neat, at least if you're a geek.

3. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

A second computer to install Linux on.

EDIT: proposing this as a better option than the PSP. I don't like that they don't play well with DVDs I already own and they seem a bit pricy for what they do.

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Just watch those movies on your laptop instead.

5. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Simple..a hooker :D

6. Elcold

Elcold IncGamers Member

You need that stuff to go to college? I guess its a miracle I survived with out them :D .

7. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

The cash. You'll need it oh so dearly once you get there. Or you could invest it for four years and have a little something when you come out.

8. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

I have one, and it is by far and away the best handheld gaming system I have ever used. However, it's going to run your parents about $300 for the system and a game, and there quite a few better things that could be used for. Granted it does have movies available (a lot more than I though it would have at this point), but like Steel said, you'll be better off watching it on a laptop.

But if you really want one, here's my $.02:

Graphics: Excellent. 64 bit qualitly if I'm not mistaken, and they are very clear on the screen. Speaking of screen, I like the widescreen format.

Sound: Very good. 2-channel, and the provided headphones are high quality from my experience.

Battery Life: About 6 hours on a full charge, not too bad, and the battery pack is easily changed out and other packs are available in stores. I've seen (and have a) 3rd party AAA battery packs that plug into the AC adapter port.

Memory: A 32 Meg SD card is provided, and is probably going to be enough if you only save games on it. You're going to need a bigger one if you plan on having MP3s on it, but the PSP is overkill if used as a MP3 player if you ask me.

Ergonomics (shape): Not too bad. I have big hands, and is a bit cumbersome, but shouldn't be a problem for normal people.

Wireless Capability: Very good. Depending on the game, you can play against other people wirelessly, and some games only require only one game disk for all players. It will also connect through the internet via a wireless connection to update the firmware, but internet play against other players is currently not possible. Will it in the future? I really have no idea.

Game Selection: Not bad, and growing. So far, I've only played Twisted Metal Head On and Metal Gear Acid, but they are pretty good games.

Movie Selection: More than I thought there would be at this point, and there are some decent movies on PSP disks.

The only thing I don't like about it so far is that I can't customize the background of the home screen. It can display pictures and certain MPEG formats, but you can't set one of the pictures as your background. The background color also changes depending on what month it is, so you can't even control that. Unless someone else knows something I don't...

9. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

whats the point of a portable anyways? $250 so you can take it with you? I don't understand, it isn't much different from a console, play consoles instead and use something like GBA on the go, it's cheaper and offers games far different from those on home consoles

10. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

If you want some portable gaming just get Mattel Football instead.

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I got one as a gift and I love it. I haven't seen any dead pixels yet and have seen people trashing that as a BS rumor. I've decided that I'll believe when I see it. 6 Hours for a full color gorgeous backlit screen is very nice but the charge time is a bit lengthy.

I'm also amazed at how fast information loads off of the memory card and am considering buying one of the 1 Gig cards (a little over a hundred bucks) so I can download new content for games and put pictures and MP3s on without worrying about the space. Wipeout Pure for instance just got a new vehicle and track that you can load off of a wireless connection. I think you can also grab stuff with your computer and move it on to the PSP via its USB port.

This is without a doubt the best portable to date and I suspect that unlike the Atari Lynx, which was way ahead of its time, Sony will get plenty of support for it as it continues to sell solidly.

As far as I'm concerned, the PSP has brought me one step closer to being perfectly content to live cyberpunk style in a small box with a public restroom nearby, a space heater, and a fan with an ice cube tray.

12. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

The only way I could justify to myself that I should buy a PSP would be the use of emulators on it. So far I only know about the SNES emulator, but have yet to see it in action. If I get to experience it along with some other emulators in the future, I may just break down and get one someday. Having a library of thousands of games for out-dated (but not out-lived) systems would be fantastic.

13. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Bah. Bah I say. The DS>PSP. Infact, I'll go as far as to say that the GBA>PSP.Nothing can beat handheld Super Mario Brothers 3/Super Mario World/Legend of Zelda games. NOTHING!!

14. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

get a good portable laptop.

it can play games, play music, and play movies. Its just basically all of the things you listed combine. :thumbsup:

15. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

You sir, are a wise man. :hanky:

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

*plays Metroid Zero Mission on Gamecube GameBoy Player*

pwnt

17. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

I think both the DS and the PSP are a waste of money right now. Maybe when the price drops the PSP will be good, but the DS? pshaw...I'm not gonna get one of those. And I'm not biased towards one or the other, rather, just maybe I'm just getting tired of Nintendo releasing a new handheld line every 9 months...

18. Bullethead

Bullethead IncGamers Member

Wow... Graduation

Hookers? Play Stations? Mutual funds? Cash?

Wow, what a decision. As a graduate of the hallowed halls of higher learning, the one thing I wish I had when I came out of college was: A JOB. Ask your parents to get you one. I'm still buggin' my parents for one. And I'm like, OLD. Then, ask them if you know of any dirt on your future boss.

No but really, I vote for the cash. It makes the most sense.

bullethead

p.s. I'm not a nazi. stop calling me that.

19. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

psp>ds2(they'll bring one with 4 screens after an year,when the sales grind to a halt,but still psp will beat them to the pulp)

Rik