To OTF atheists: Would you believe in [a] God if you witnessed a "legit" exorcism?

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
To OTF atheists: Would you believe in [a] God if you witnessed a "legit" exorcism?

Just saw a show produced by Discovery Channel about "Paranormal Investigators" and it spooked the crap out of me. The paranormal investigator became possessed by a demon and had to be exorcised. According to those who witnessed the exorcism, at one point the possessed individual levitated along with the sofa she was sitting on.

If you don't think there's anything after this life or anything beyond what can be seen visually and witness something like this (live) would that change your position in the afterlife, perhaps even in [a] God?

I'm talking about hardcore exorcism stuff where nothing done by the one possessed is humanely possible.

I'm not sure if I would believe in God if I saw a legit exorcism, but it might put a chink in the wall of my non-belief. Rereading your post, if I saw a bed levitate off the floor with the 'possessed' in it, I think that would lead me to believe more in an evil force that exists, not necessarily a God/Devil force.

This is kind of close to your topic, but linked in a way. What about ghosts/spirits? I'm more open to ghosts than I am a god. It would take less to convince me of ghosts/spirits being real than it would for a supreme being.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
A creepy "exorcism" is hardly going to change my beliefs.
Atheism is just having faith that god doesn't exist without any evidence anyway, agnosticism is where it's at.

Ever seen a magic show? Lots of "not possible" stuff happening there.

SteveMartinfan

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not atheist, but agnostic, but if I were given proof that I myself felt was definitive, I'd have no problem believing (which the proof is only something I can decide for myself weither to believe or not). I'm just not one to take something like God on faith. I need more then that, which is exactly why I'm agnostic. I do also get the idea from all of my talkings with a few religious folk, that the kind of proof I want is something I'll probably never get.

Also, want to add: I like talking to religious people because I like to hear their beliefs and views. I find it interesting to talk about that sort of thing. There were three Christians at work I used to talk to about their views. Each had different views and beliefs in regards to being Christians, but I found it informative to talk to all of them the same. I feel it makes it easier to respect someone when I understand where they come from, but eh, that's just me. Some people may not even want to hear their beliefs, but I've always believed I should keep an open-mind on things, because I know I'm not always right on things.

Well, I've surely droned on enough. :wave:

Edit to add one more thing: something I like to do, which the movie the Negotiator covers, is basically I don't just talk to one person on a subject or read one book...I like to read multiple books, talk to multiple people and then make up my own mind. Helps explain what I said above, but better :)

Atheism is just having faith that god doesn't exist without any evidence anyway, agnosticism is where it's at.

Just say, for the sake of the argument, that there was a bed in the center of a room, with a person on it. The bed is levitating, and you have the opportunity to examine it in any way you wish, and cannot come to a conclusion about how it's levitating. What would be your reaction?

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member

A magic show utilizes many tricks/illusions, unless the one doing the magic is a legit magician that should be feared, not a source of entertainment.

A legit exorcism manifests the existence of evil beings, powerful or not. If evil spirits exists wouldn't that suggest that that good spirits exists, and woud exist in a hierarchical order?

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Just say, for the sake of the argument, that there was a bed in the center of a room, with a person on it. The bed is levitating, and you have the opportunity to examine it in any way you wish, and cannot come to a conclusion about how it's levitating. What would be your reaction?
Skepticism. And I'd be sufficiently freaked out. Eventually I would probably have to believe what I was seeing, though.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
"Oh man, I can make a bundle of money on this!"

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a bogus question. It presuposes there is a legit exorcism. How would you know if it is legit?
It's almost as bad as asking if you believed in God would you believe in God?
There are even people who have been taken in by pyschic surgery.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
No. I've seen a few exorcisms, too.

P.S. Exorcism is about as Christian as the Easter Bunny.

P.P.S. Watch John Safran vs. God. There's probably a video of his exorcism on Youtube.

According to those who witnessed the exorcism, at one point the possessed individual levitated along with the sofa she was sitting on.
Video plz.

This would however only confirm the existence of telekinesis, if true.

If you don't think there's anything after this life or anything beyond what can be seen visually and witness something like this (live) would that change your position in the afterlife, perhaps even in [a] God?
Paranomal =/= God.

A legit exorcism manifests the existence of evil beings, powerful or not. If evil spirits exists wouldn't that suggest that that good spirits exists, and woud exist in a hierarchical order?
No. In fact in most religions supernatural entities are either evil or indifferent, good spirits are a rarity.

I'd think "Carrie" rather than "the Exorcist".

Chomp. Bye bye Baby Jesus. :wave:
I thought to myself "surely he's not bringing up that ancient Shadowcat meme again", but I was wrong. Next it'll be Chuck Norris jokes...

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a bogus question. It presuposes there is a legit exorcism. How would you know if it is legit?
It's almost as bad as asking if you believed in God would you believe in God?
There are even people who have been taken in by pyschic surgery.
There are no signs or evidence of tricks, illusionary techniques or distracting methods. It is what it is: from a purely scientific standpoint you are witnessing a human being that is able to do that which is not humanely possible.

Any body here seen the movie "Exorcism of Emily Rose" That was one insanely spooky movie.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
No. In fact in most religions supernatural entities are either evil or indifferent, good spirits are a rarity.
What would you call Angels and Bodhissatvas? Taoism has an entire court of "benevolent" (in theory) celestial beings.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Dondrei the Time Traveller said:
I thought to myself "surely he's not bringing up that ancient Shadowcat meme again", but I was wrong. Next it'll be Chuck Norris jokes...
That's the 7th time I've linked it in the past 2 weeks. Catch on!

Shadow cat will not tolerate insolence! :grrrr: