Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To Occy or not to Occy

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by tpiercymtv, Mar 16, 2004.

1. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

To Occy or not to Occy

So I'm making a Cl/FO sorc. I'm pretty much following the guide in the Sorc fourm, but I do have a question to you fellow hc players. I have a wiz spike but I am looking for an occy. Now I have heard some very bad things about the tele ability of the occy. Is the occy "that' dangerous in hc? I am building a maxblock sorc, energy shield and no points in energy build so she be pretty hardy, so is occy that bad?

2. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

Both my 92 Sorc (now deceased and not because of Occy) and my current level 90 sorc used/use Occy. I like the extra damage it provides me. In 1.09hc I was a Wiz Spike advocate though. funny how things change.

You will probably have to try both to make the decision on your own as this will probably become a series of statements of personnal preference and your playing style will come into play as to how effective you are with and without it.

3. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

In my opinion, yes, Occy is 'that' bad. It only took me a couple of hours to unequip my occy and trade it away, never to be thought of again.

With the abundance of ranged attackers these days, you teleport frequently, and this is simply not acceptable.

4. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

yes, it is that bad.

for all intents and purposes (pvm), u will never need the +3 skills on occy. orb is powerful enough even at base, and cl is is supposed to be used only for the ci's. the teleport is helluva annoying, especially when u do want to teleport into a crowded area (durance, throne room). a throne room full of succubi/gloams will kill u instantly, as they fire fast and might put u into occy "tele-lock". and of course, in the durance, u'd really want to tele AWAY from fana/fast/manaburn dolls, instead of INTO (possibility with occy).

saying that, occy is fine for the intermediate levels (just don't be as aggressive as when u're wearing wiz).

i'm actually not sure why peeps at the sorc forum suggest cl. from my own play time i found cb to be safer/reliable than cl, and cb doesn't take as much points to be effective. also, if ur a good aimer, lightning itself is better than cl, as it deals like 2x the amount of damage cl does.

5. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Hmm, tough call. First of all, I personally wouldn't want to go non-synergized ES with base mana. Secondly I wouldn't want to go base mana with Chain Lightning, but that's just me. Thirdly, both FC (80% or 120%) as well as +skills are very important to make CL work, so that's a toss up between Occy and Wizzy. As for the Teleport, I don't like it and while it hasn't gotten me into any extremely dangerous situations while I tried it the randomness caught me off guard more than once. It is certainly more manageable on a blocksorc than on a vita sorc though. You will have to try for yourself, since you'll hear conflicting views anyway.

6. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

although i dont have an occy, i would be afraid to use it if i did.
    id be too scared to teleport into packs. and like that one guy said with all the ranged attackers. if you are in A5, with all the archers, you'll probly be dead if you had an occy.

7. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I think Occy is OK through Nightmare, but I'd switch to the wiz spike for hell for sure. Much rather lose a few skills but gain the 75 resist all and lose the random teleport. It can be a bit nerve wracking not knowing for sure when it might happen. And of course as Murphy's Law states, there will come a time when it will happen at the worst possible moment and it will put you in the worst possible place. That only needs to happen once.

8. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Zappa's got it right. Occy is fine in NM when monsters will merely nick you.

Hell they are just too damned dangerous to risk it. Switch to Wizzy as soon as you see the screen that reads

"Henceforth Known as Conqueror xxxxxx"

Or switch to Death's Fathom or Eldritch Orb if you have.

9. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Fathom is silly because 8>9
    Actually is it possible to hit 200% now?
    I might have to make a 7 fpc sorc for fun one of these times...that would be cool.

Since occy adds less damage than fathom, and is equally slow, I hope you can gather my opinion from the above ^^
    EDIT: Oh, and +2395782375 mana from the wiz helps too. 75% resists are nice, but are also the easiest part of it to make up, and as such are the last thing I look at on it generally.

10. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

Nothing is "powerful enough" IMO, I always try and go for as many plus skills as I can on my sorcs. +3 to both attack skill and mastery is one hell of a damage difference.

Instead of thinking "No random tele = safer sorceress", another way of looking at it could be like this: More damage -> faster kills -> less time for monsters to hit you.

Best defense is offense, etc.

I never saw the random tele as a big problem. I agree with Ventilator, though, definately go with max block.

11. MoUsE_WiZ

Bah! It's not the tele that's the problem, it's the lack of 50% fcr. I'd use Suicide Branch over occy.

12. annr

annr IncGamers Member

never had a problem with occy, would recommend

13. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

Provided you have full resists and met your desired fcr with either.

Depends. for MF sorc you cant really beat occy. Since you are duel elemental you can really make use of +skills since you dont have maxed synergies. If you dont want to MF HOTO comes to mind as best.

If you are just between these 2 cheaper alternatives and since you have a block/dr sorc I'd go with occy. my sorc uses it and never had problems or even a close call. I dont know what the fuss is about really. Teleporting is never a problem, with the sole exception of glooms who are kidna tiring.

14. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

Wizzy for the Tele, Occy for the kill or for more "controlled" combat situations.

15. Shastas

Shastas IncGamers Member

Occy is far to annoying to be used.

16. CoWa-Avatar

CoWa-Avatar IncGamers Member

LOL sir, you got every quote backwards :rant: " best offense is a good defense!"

OCCY = "your deeds of valor will be remembered" :lol:

I think you should go max block, join a party and let them kill for you :winner:

17. MoUsE_WiZ

You BO
    I tele
    hammerdins and javazons kill
    ^^

18. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I wouldnt suggest Occy to those with slower puters or slow reaction times and I definetly suggest not cowing with one as that can be fast deeds!

Personally I would use either but prefer wizzy simply for FCR/rez/mana. I used one for a while eunning Meph and got bounced around like a pinball a lot and that was annoying although IMO not dangerous.

It is a shame such a good item has to have such an annoying mod on it! We need anti autotele jools!

19. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure I've heard "the best defense is a good offense" as well. In any case, it still makes sense if you would try and read my post. Other than that, what quotes did I get wrong?

Anyway, it was only to emphazise my point. I grow weary of all the guys who just conclude that OCCY = CERTAIN DEATH without arguing their point. Gogo Mr. Superior.

20. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

Take the good with the bad.

Occy saved my life last night.

Mana burn Might maulers.

Nuff said.

Thank you Occy.